• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

thinking about swimming for a workout

maccrazy2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 2, 2009
10 minutes S. W. of denver
I am working on making some lifestyle changes and need to start working out. I am thinking about swimming as my main exercise. I would like to try crossfit training but at this time I do not think I am up to it. I do not have issues with walking or carrying my pack and rifle at matches but I cannot run well and my right hand is still weak so slinging weights my not be the best thing yet either. I shoud explain, 4 years ago I was shot in the right hand and thru the right thigh. I am not making excuses why I cannot do certain exercises I can only do so much before real pain sets in. I know what my current limits are and am trying to push them some but not go too crazy.
So, anyone else swim for their main exercise? I am thinking of trying for mon,wed,fri and then walking/hiking on tuesday and thursdays with my pack and gear minus rifle as I am in the city. My main goal is first just to be healthy and I want to shoot some of the bigger matches next summer and dont want to be weesing my way thru the last few stages.

Re: thinking about swimming for a workout

I would also suggest bicycling if you haven't already considered that. You said you were shot through the thigh so I'm not sure if you can, but, IF you can it's a great way to stay in shape.

As far as swimming goes... I'm not good at it at all but I have seen one big improvement in my other exercise routines. Before I started 'trying' to swim for exercise I could only hold my breath for a bit over a minute and now a few months later I can hold it for two minutes easily.

I'm not sure on this but it seems like my lung efficiency has helped me in my other exercises. I am a runner and bicycler by heart, but swimming is a very nice change of pace to throw into the mix and I feel like everyone should give it a fair chance because it IS a great form of cardio. And with your injuries, I feel it would be a great way for you to stay in shape.

Well You are right that exercises like , Swimming , running and cycling are most celebrated of people . Moreover, complete fitness, healthy and strong body are the hallmarks of these exercises that is why health experts recommend to get all these exercises . Swimming is in fact a perfect exercise and i normally do swimming which gives my body full strength . I also do cycling rarely when i have to go to market and have not any conveyance available but i have observed that cycling is idyllic for lower parts of body . Lastly, I consider swimming a best activity for workout to keep your body full strong and fit .

When I was young I was swimming 12,000 meters a day. It is amazing exercise. Go for it and never look back. Best of luck at finding your gills!

Swimming is great, but you need to throw in some type of weight training too got to keep that bone density up

Signing up at the city pool this week. They have weights and multiple exercise rooms there as well. I have started walking 3 nights a week with my pack and regular match equipment load minus the rifle. I am just doing 2 miles for now. I will start bumping up the distance over time.
I will try to swim 3 nights a week depending on how it goes.

will work muscles you didn't think you had. good work out burns lots of calories. should slim you down if you have a decent diet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooty Puff Sr.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I was young I was swimming 12,000 meters a day. It is amazing exercise. Go for it and never look back. Best of luck at finding your gills! </div></div>

12,000 meters as in 12k as in 7.5miles? I know that people that qualify to do Ironman take anywhere from 50min-2hours to swim the 2.4miles, were you swimming 6 hours a day non stop?

get to where you are swimming the length of the pool for for 3-4 laps on one breath or swimming with a dive brick. all kinds of things you can get out of swimming.

It is a good idea.
Swimming is a good cardio exercise, which plays an important role to improve the fitness level, strength and stamina.
You can do it on daily basis and include it in your daily workout.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alpha6164</div><div class="ubbcode-body">12,000 meters as in 12k as in 7.5miles? I know that people that qualify to do Ironman take anywhere from 50min-2hours to swim the 2.4miles, were you swimming 6 hours a day non stop? </div></div>

I swam when I was in high school and a typical week practice was 6-7k in 2 hours. We also had conditioning weeks where we would do 10-12k in 3.5 hours so while we weren't doing it everyday, let alone every week, we still did them. Mind you we were 16-18 at the time. Friends who moved on to the collegate level swam that routinely in the pre-season too.

Back to the topic, definitely start swimming. I try to swim daily and you would be surprised how much it can boost your aerobic capacity. I only run on occasions but when I'm out doing backcountry hikes with friends who do run frequently, they typically run out of breath before I do. Not to mention my knees are in better shape. Get after it!

I think if someone was to pick one cardio/strength exercise with the most benefit swimming would be in top category. There is no pounding, you can either choose to work the whole body, upper body or lower body depending on stroke or workout for the day. I train for triathlons, and out of the 3 disciplines, If I quit training for a little while, I lose the most cardio/strength in the swim by far over the other two....Good luck with your training!

Before I had kids I'd swim laps 3 times a week for an hour each session. 15 minutes of kicking while using a float board, 15 minutes of breast stroke, 15 minutes alternating side stroke, and 15 minutes sitting and just using my arms to pull myself backwards through the water (its like doing flys on a bench). I was jelly when I would leave the pool. I could eat anything I wanted to and not gain weight when this was a regular routine. Cardio and strength improved. Cant wait until my kids are old enough so that I can make trips to the pool a routine again.