• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors thinking of a suppressor

Drock

Private
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2013
kingston ohio
Ok i live in ohio and Im thinking of supressing my 700 .308. my question is there anyone on here who knows if the pickaway county sheriff will sign off on the paperwork? i have checked localy and i cant find anyone here who has tried to do so in pickaway county

just ask the sheriff if you don't think he will. I will say, if you are even thinking about getting one I wouldn't put it off any longer- just do it. The wait isn't going to get shorter.

I would presume that the local dealer would know but the sure thing is just to call the sheriffs office and get it from the horses mouth

thinking of a suppressor

I think I read that the new franklin county sheriff will sign. Does it have to be signed by the sheriff in your county or can one from an adjacent county sign like they can for a ccw? Who is the sheriff in pickaway county? Lawless (ironic name for a sheriff)? I know Ratcliff wouldn't sign when he was sheriff. There was a judge in pickaway county that would sign, but not sure if he's still around either... Do you live in a town that has a local police department...maybe the chief there will sign.

Seriously why even bother with the sheriff? why? Get on Amazon and spend $20 on Quicken Will maker. Fill it out, no need to list the firearms you have, bring it in to a trusty intelligent FFL to look it over and send off the $200 tax stamp. That's what I did and I had zero problems. Got both of mine in 6 months flat.

Seriously why even bother with the sheriff? why? Get on Amazon and spend $20 on Quicken Will maker. Fill it out, no need to list the firearms you have, bring it in to a trusty intelligent FFL to look it over and send off the $200 tax stamp. That's what I did and I had zero problems. Got both of mine in 6 months flat.

I agree, but with the proposed rule changes that might go in to effect, a CLEO signature might be required for trusts as well.

Forget the sheriff, just do a trust. Ask yourself this question: If you were to die, would you rather leave your class 3 item to a family member or a friend, or would you like to make a generous donation to your local law enforcement? I don't know about the rest of the guys on here, but for me, it is no contest. In life, I pay state and local taxes, effectively paying their salaries, pay for tax stamps, on top of the cost of the items. Then when I die, I just give them a gift?
Fuck them. Like I said, just do a trust.

My advise to you is don't buy one...it won't stop with just one lol. I started with one can last year and now have 3, want 4 more and that grew to 2 SBR and want 2 more lol...NFA is more addictive then you can ever imagine!

Forget the sheriff, just do a trust. Ask yourself this question: If you were to die, would you rather leave your class 3 item to a family member or a friend, or would you like to make a generous donation to your local law enforcement? I don't know about the rest of the guys on here, but for me, it is no contest. In life, I pay state and local taxes, effectively paying their salaries, pay for tax stamps, on top of the cost of the items. Then when I die, I just give them a gift?
Fuck them. Like I said, just do a trust.

When you die, your item can pass tax free on a Form 5. Someone just has to do it in a timely fashion.

thanks for all the replies. I am meeting with my local gun shop tomorrow to get the number for a trust attorney to see about getting one set up before the new law goes into effect!