• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thinking of a Tikka Tac A1....260 or 6.5 and why?

7025Jack

Private
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2010
These sure look interesting and seem to be a good value after initial research. Thinking either 360 or 6.5 Creed. Which would you choose and why?

Creedmoor. Performance wise they're all but identical, but the creedmoor is shorter and fits in the magazine better, which will allow you to seat the bullet out longer over time. The Brass argument used to be the main one used in favor of .260, but at this point I think that argument swings the other direction. Lapua, Norma/nosler, Alpha, Peterson, Hornady, and some others that I can't think of all make brass for 6.5 Creedmoor now. High-quality factory match and hunting ammo for 6.5 has become cheap and plentiful, too.

Last edited:
I have to agree with everything snarkscarbine said and give the nod to the Creedmoor.

What they said. The only argument for .260 used to be that Lapua didn't make Creedmoor brass but now they do. I can't really think of any reason to go with the .260 unless you already have a reloading setup for it.

When the world ends, if all I can find is .308 brass I will still be able to load it for my .260.

These sure look interesting and seem to be a good value after initial research. Thinking either 360 or 6.5 Creed. Which would you choose and why?

Well, I don't know what a 360 is, unless you're referring to what happens when you pull up on the E-brake at speed...lol. Jk

I happen to own a few .260 Rems and would personally choose that, but only because all my reloading stuff is set up for that caliber. When someone just getting into it now asks your question, I almost always tell them to go with 6.5 Creedmoor. For the reasons listed above, it's currently the best choice of the two. Two or three years ago, my answer might have been different.

When the world ends, if all I can find is .308 brass I will still be able to load it for my .260.

Can make 6.5CM from 308 brass as well.

But being able to make 260 from 308 with less stress on the shoulder and less trimming is likely the very last pro on the list to going 260.

Do you already reload? If not CM, plenty of decent ammo available for it cheaper than most 260, though I see hornady started selling 260 with eld's.

lol yup that's the reason to pick a cartridge. Armageddon scenarios. Lol

creedmoor for all the reasons already mentioned. It's become more popular in the past 10 years than the .260 was for the past 20 since it was brought out by Remington.

lol yup that's the reason to pick a cartridge. Armageddon scenarios. Lol

creedmoor for all the reasons already mentioned. It's become more popular in the past 10 years than the .260 was for the past 20 since it was brought out by Remington.

OK perhaps I'm just a traditionalist.

I just bought the Tac a 1 in 6.5 It is my second Tikka this year and I am a big fan. I went with 6.5 over the. 260 only because my son just bought a Ruger RPR in 6.5 and dad gets to reload for everyone.

I had almost bought a Tikka TSR for a lot more money when I heard the T3x was coming out. I like it a lot more than the TSR.

I have a hard time calling a chassis rifle "beautiful" but it is a work of art. I feels like a precise instrument and shoots like a dream. I only wish they made it in 22-250 but then I would want one with a 1-7" and one with a 1-12" barrels.

You cannot go wrong with the Tikka. I got 3 mags with it and that put it down in the price range of my son's Ruger. (in my mind) I believe that it is a better rifle than the Ruger. My son likes it better than his Ruger too.

Buy the Tikka. I think the . 260 has better ballistics than the 6.5 but the availability of the Creedmoor seals the deal.