• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thinking of getting the CZ 457 Precision Trainer - Better training rifle for the money?

Toast

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 9, 2011
    So Cal
    I was going to get the CZ 457 with the manners stock for training and maybe competition. I can get one for about $1,000. Is there a better, more accurate rifle like the Sako Quad for the money? My budget is $1200. Thanks for your advice.

The Bergara B14R is less than $1000, but may need a trigger. I put a Trigger Tech Diamond in mine. Also I have a Tikka T1x in a KRG Bravo. Just a trigger spring get you a 1 lb. trigger. $850 total cost. Both will shoot sub Moa out to 200yds.
    Mark

I really like the CZ in the Manners. The only negative thing I have to say about the CZ is all the ones I have ever owned or shot only seems to shoot SK/Lapua ammo well. Granted this is a sample size of 4 so take that for what it’s worth. The other match and practice ammo I tried just didn’t shoot well at all.

I own the CZ457 VPT and a Sako Quad Lilja Tactical Custom that is fitted with a McMillan Stock and match Lilja bbl. They are both great rifles. Both shoot very well, but the Sako cost 2x what the CZ does and the difference between the two is very small. Both like SK/Lapua ammo. The Sako usually shoots tighter groups and does it more effortlessly but the CZ is still hitting the 10 ring most shots just with a lower X count. Both handle as well as any rifle I own and both are very handsome. The CZ has the 8-32x Mueller scope that was on the Sako and the Sako has a 6-24x Arken SH4 to run NRL matches. I don't have lots of pics of tgts or the rifles but will post a few of what I have. The CZ competes with the Bergara B14 which is a great rifle and the Tikka T1X which would be great if they would put it in a decent stock. By the time you buy a Manners or McMillan stock for the Tikka it would cost as much as the Bergara or VPT. They all three shoot similar. The Quad is more on par with the performance of the VuDoo or a good Winchester 52 or Anschutz 54. The pics below include ammo testing groups with the Quad (Blue ARA card) and the CZ457 ((green USBS card), pics of the rifles (sorry for my poor photo skills) and two IBS50 cards shot at 50y by each both with Lapua ammo. The CZ tied for 1st place with a V22 VuDoo but lost on x count. The Quad won by one pt against the same V22 on a different night. As you can see they both shoot well and the difference in the Quad is hard to justify for the price.

Attachments

• Quad 50y 6x5 Lapua CX 26spd.jpg
      Quad 50y 6x5 Lapua CX 26spd.jpg
      427.3 KB · Views: 86
    • Qd IBS50y.jpg
      Qd IBS50y.jpg
      628.9 KB · Views: 83
    • Quad Lija Tactical x.jpg
      Quad Lija Tactical x.jpg
      474.9 KB · Views: 83
    • CX.Midas lots.jpg
      CX.Midas lots.jpg
      524 KB · Views: 112
    • CZ457 VPT 50y.jpg
      CZ457 VPT 50y.jpg
      655.6 KB · Views: 82
    • CZ457 VPT.jpg
      CZ457 VPT.jpg
      240.9 KB · Views: 96
    my vote is for the B14r, you can pretty much build it into a clone of a centerfire rifle with trigger and stocks. Granted you can go down a rabbit hole and end up with a very pricey rig but it’ll be how you want it.

I love my CZ firearms and was on board with getting a CZ. But still was open to others. Ended up with the B14. More than happy with it. Shoots lights out. I’ll have no issues competing.

Now you guys got me debating between the B14R and CZ. I like the longer barrel of the CZ though.

ON9mqXp.jpg

WaqPO3B.jpg

Now you guys got me debating between the B14R and CZ. I like the longer barrel of the CZ though.

ON9mqXp.jpg

WaqPO3B.jpg

ON9mqXp.jpg

WaqPO3B.jpg
    Just keep an open mind to all of them. I think they’re all nice. But then it came down to availability. I literally placed an online order with PSA and then got on armslist for the heck of it. And found the upgraded B14 with black stock and carbon barrel. Had all the extras too. I got lucky, the seller still had it. Canceled my PSA order immediately. Just perfect timing. Picked it up this past Tuesday. Still has the factory trigger but it’s nice. I have no complaints with it. Eventually I will change it but it’s not a deal breaker. But I had read such good things about the B14. You’ll be happy with any of them. Oh the other thing I liked about the B14 was the 18”barrel. CZ was 16 or 24. Didn’t want either of those lengths.

Attachments

• F8E180E4-5DE4-4158-89D1-1164B3EF459B.jpeg
      F8E180E4-5DE4-4158-89D1-1164B3EF459B.jpeg
      1.5 MB · Views: 89
    Last edited:
    I pulled the trigger on a B14 R for $903. Throwing an Athlon Midas 4.5-27 on there. Gonna get an Atlas bipod.

I'd love some Aadland two lug rings, but they have nothing in stock. Not sure if they're in business anymore.

I pulled the trigger on a B14 R for $903. Throwing an Athlon Midas 4.5-27 on there. Gonna get an Atlas bipod.

I'd love some Aadland two lug rings, but they have nothing in stock. Not sure if they're in business anymore.
    Solid choose and you might be sadly correct about aad. I when to look at the site and got sent to some spam site for male enhancement products.

Tikka, CZ VPT, B14R - all good and you would be happy with either. My choice was driven by ARA rules. I wanted a rifle that could compete in ARA factory class. The Tikka can but they do not allow stock mods or swaps and I did not fit the factory plastic stock well. The B14R is a nice rifle but it is not currently eligible in Factory class. That left the CZ457 VPT. Recent rule changes made it eligible so that cinched the deal for me. A good shooter with good ammo can compete with either of these. They are not a VuDoo or Anschutz or Sako but they are not that far off when set up right.