• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Thinking of other options for the USO 1-8 SR8c for SPR work

TheGerman

Oberleutnant
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2010
    the Westside
    Yes its built like a tank, yes its very clear, yes its overall an awesome scope. However, the USO 1-8 SR8c (with the red dot) does longer range shooting well, but gives me problems when I try to utilize the 1x for shorter distance/faster acquisition shooting.

If I'm shooting prone/sitting/off of something, the 5-8 magnification range works very well and feels like a normal rifle scope. I have the stock on my Mk12Mod1 adjusted to give me a clear picture and the eye box isn't too unforgiving. However, the issues for me begin when I try to use it like a carbine and use the 1x. First off the thing is a foot long and needs to be mounted as far forward as possible to even give you a chance at a decent hold standing up on the rifle and not having to have the stock extended out a mile. I used the ADM extended mount as far forward on the receiver rail as it can go and it's still barely long enough and I have the stock 2 positions further back than I'd like.

Why does this matter/bother me? Because when trying to run and gun with a rifle, the balance and weight of it when bringing it up to your face and getting a constant reference point (without an optic this would be NTCH) it makes you feel like you are holding a broomstick out in-front of you and the uneven balance puts a lot of the weight and stress on your support arm which makes things bad very quickly. So between how long the optic is and its eye relief, its just causing issues with this and has me feeling that I have 80% of the rifles weight forward of the center of balance - being able to bring the stock in 2-3 positions would negate most of this.

Additionally, the eye box is not ideal at the 1x for quick acquisition as you are getting a lot of blacked out edges; this is an arguable point to where this may not matter if I am just trying to hit plates COM at 50-100 yards but it still adds to a slower reaction time to put a round on target.

I've read some of the reviews for the 1.1-8 Leupold and liked what I saw with the Horus reticle but have never had one in my hands so I'm not sure if I'd run into the same issues as its 11.75 long and has the same eye relief as the USO. The Vortex 1-6 is interesting but I hate losing the 2x at the top end and it does not have a daytime visible reticle. At this point I am almost ready to go back to a Nightforce 2.5-10/doctor combo or something similiar.

Any thoughts? I'm on the fence, half of me says keep the USO its awesome and the other half wants to get rid of it as soon as I start using the 1x.

Just pondering and granted only from what I've read on all the 1-8's but they just seem to have turned out to be overly compromised optics.

I'm thinking of putting a Bushnell LRHS 3-12 and a mini red dot mounted at 45 degrees on my AR. This would be replacing my 2.5-10, which had replaced the 1-4.

I recently purchased a March-F 1-8x24 and am very happy thus far. It is mounted on a SCAR 17 and is compact and lightweight. I too considered the USO, the Leupold MK8, MK6, as well as some others but ultimately went with the March. The glass is very clear and the eye box is forgiving. After talking to Ian Kelby, I opted for the non-illuminated model with FMC-2 reticle because Ian said the illumination isn't really daytime visible. I was originally wanting a daytime illuminated or red dot equipped optic, but after weighing options (Leupold's sounded good, but illumination said to be effected by head position-USO so damn big/heavy, so on) the March seemed like a good choice, at least for me. The FMC-2 reticle seems pretty good at drawing your eye at 1x.

Maybe something to consider?

I'm with dbransco. I think the 1-8 x 24 March is a great option. I just got one last week but haven't had a chance to set it up yet. If you get one this month there's also a 300 dollar discount.

I have the SR-8S with C2 reticle on an AR10 and have the same complaints as you. I also found the eyebox at 8x way too small. I just rolled the dice earlier today and ordered a Swarovski Z6 1-6x24 with CD reticle (I prefer non-illuminated reticles). I liked that the USO was FFP, and their other scopes I own have been second to none, but I think the 8x zoom ratio is just asking too much from any company. For me, the 1x is too important and 6x is sufficient for 600-700 yards. Hopefully it suits my needs. If not, I will be back to the old trusty 1.5-6x.