• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Thinking of signing up for a match..

sid

Lefty
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
Tn
I have been interested in prs since about 3 years, have build multiple rifles, read a lot and shot a lot.

I have however never shot over 250yards since that's all I can do in my area, so I have never needed to use a dope card or dial for wind.

It's really frustrating that I can't try out my rifles to longer distances.

Anyway, I'm thinking to sign up to the GAP grind in October.. but like I said I never shot in any competition or anything over 250yards, am I going to be even more frustrated because I can't hit anything for 2 days or what do you guys think?

I'll put in my $0.02...but I'm only just now about to participate in my first match. so, take it how you wish.

If I were you, I'd sign up and just go shoot. How much is the match? Worst case scenario, think of it as paying for a chance to finally shoot out a little further. You'll learn so much from those two days.

From what I've gathered everyone at these matches are incredibly nice and helpful. If you let the RO at each stage know you are new to the sport, they will help you with your calls.

Get involved and maybe you'll meet some people with access to other places to reach out a bit further.

Last edited:
at the Grind youll be paired up with a Pro...call shannon and see about getting paired up if u dont know anyone...if your rifle/ammo can shoot 1moa, there will be people there in you squad that can get you on targets regardless if you have solid dope or not...there is usually a range day prior to the matches also, you could get things hashed out there as well

with the tools we have today, going from 100 yd zero to hitting targets out to 6-700 yds is pretty straight forward once you learn how to put it all together...past that its usually just small tweaks

Just go shoot brotha.... Long Range competitors are a lot like golfers. They understand new folks coming in and will be supportive and helpful, everyone had to shoot their first match.

I don't win any, I place well but I really enjoy the fellowship and seeing some good stages shot well.

I agree with what Morgan said. The Grind is the perfect place to learn because you'll not only have your pro, but an entire squad of pros to help you out. It's the one match where not only are corrections allowed but they're encouraged. With your muzzle velocity, it wouldn't be hard to get "try me" dope for targets all the way out.

In addition to the tune up the day before the match, where you can shoot out to all of the ranges and gather dope with the help of your pro, there are a couple of training courses that you can choose from and take prior to the match if you want. K&M's training courses are very well worth the cost.

Like already said, the Gap Grind is about the ideal first match for a new guy, outside of local one-day matches, because of the fact that your are matched with a pro to help you out and to make wind calls and corrections for you while on the rifle.

You either thought too long, or Im looking at something wrong. On K&M's site, it shows sign ups are out of stock.
Gap Grind sign ups start tomorrow. It says so in the body text of the match. Until then, they will show as out of stock. ;)

Yes signup is tomorrow.. I can hold 1 moa with my rifle ( deviant, hawk hill 6xc in aics chassis)

I'll sign up tomorrow, my wife also encouraged me :) thank you all for your feedback!

Yes signup is tomorrow.. I can hold 1 moa with my rifle ( deviant, hawk hill 6xc in aics chassis)

I'll sign up tomorrow, my wife also encouraged me :) thank you all for your feedback!

If your wife is on board, you are golden my friend!
?

Reactions: Olen_4504
I went to K&M last weekend without dope. Went to the tune up, doped the gun at 900/1000 in <5 shots. trued the Calculator to the real dope and went to town on the other obstacles during the tune up. Next two days with the dope I got from the tune up I got hits out to 1100 with my 223 with my vertical being spot on for every target.

Basically what I am saying is just sign up, you wont regret it.

Would you guys recommend that I buy a kestrel or make dope cards?

Would you guys recommend that I buy a kestrel or make dope cards?
Make dope cards. Your Pro will likely;y have a Kestrel or other ballistic application product. In any case, your dope cards are just a guideline until you can verify what your rifle and bullet combo will actually do. You can verify during the train up day Friday.

I think a kestrel is a very helpful tool, and I recommend one, but mobile device apps work great too. If you will shoot mostly at 250 yards, a Kestrel is not needed. Put that money into ammo, or some bags, and accessories, but I'm sure there will be ones you can borrow from stage to stage.

Yeah sign up, get your first match done with, and you'll be left wanting the next match. There is kind of a lot to take in, and I only have shot 4 PRS matches, but maybe focus on taking quality shots and getting hits, as opposed to trying to rip off 9 or whatever shots are in each stage. Maybe practice and time yourself for some shots, to add stress, that 1:30 seems to fly by. If you can, workout on some barricade stuff ahead of time. Figure out your shot checklist, for example... dial elevation, dial parallax, check level, hold windage, clean trigger press, etc.... Most everyone at these matches are incredibly helpful. Don't get frustrated, keep cool, hit what you can and bask in the experience. You'll be fine.
Don't forget to snap some pics/vids.

Scott

I wouldn't buy anything until after the match. You'll get to see one of everything on the market at that match and I've never met a shooter who wasn't more than happy to give you his opinion on a piece of gear (or let you try it out). The fact that your wife is encouraging you to do this is awesome! But beware, this sport is like opening pandora's box - there is no end to the amount of shit that you will want after the first time you hear "impact" - "impact"-"impact" on a target a 1000 yards away!

Enjoy the meet and let us know how it goes.

Well I signed up this morning, took a lot of trying since the site was crashing but I got a spot :)

Now I need to figure out the best way to train , I don't want to suck that much that the guy they team me up with gets frustrated with me :)

I know what you mean, It took me almost a full hour to get on the page to place my registration. By then, there were still 93 Pro spots left. I'd guess that if the site could have handled the traffic volume, it would have sold out in that time.

ETA: I take that back. I just checked and saw that all of the AM spots are sold out, but there are still 14 pro spots left.

Well I signed up this morning, took a lot of trying since the site was crashing but I got a spot :)

Now I need to figure out the best way to train , I don't want to suck that much that the guy they team me up with gets frustrated with me :)

YESSSS!!!! We got another one, guys!!

Sid, prepare to have your life changed.

-Nate

YESSSS!!!! We got another one, guys!!

Sid, prepare to have your life changed.

-Nate
Like, for example, you will rapidly wonder where all of your spendable cash went. Then you will wonder where that extra stash you were saving for a rainy day went. Then you think that it will be possible to maybe finance that next rifle or scope.

I extra transferred a big chunk of money to pay off my tractor, I have been eyeballing a kahles scope and needed to make sure I don't give in to temptation:)

Anyway I'm already excited!

Reactions: kthomas and lash
Try a guardian long range match for the first one. There laid back and let folks help out during.

I'm not sure my wife's support would go that far as signing up for a second match today, but if there are spaces available next month I will sign up :)

Reactions: kabarNC
Look for a local 1-Day Club Match and give it a shot, it's a great way to get some dope past your 250 yards. You'l also get an idea of the positional shooting that you'll have to do at the GAP Grind. Get a bag, and practice dry firing from a ladder, the back of your couch, off your deck and anywhere else you can get a standing, kneeling, squatting, or other positions. PRS is not your standard "ready on the left, ready on the right, ready on the firing line" game. And above all else, don't worry where you place, just have fun.

Reactions: LH_Gina and lash
No excuse not to go try. Before my first match I never shot past 500 yards. Then did an Fclass match. Not my cup of tea but got tones of data shooting that match.

Now I shoot local prs style matches and try to finish in the top 25%.