• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thinking of Trading-In 5.56 for 7.62...

CleanMoostang

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 30, 2010
Eastern KY
Ive been on here looking at the AR-10 type rifles, LR308's, etc. And I have realized how much I think I would enjoy one..

I've got my Rem700 .308 I use for long range shooting and slowly learning "precision" shooting, but I think I would like a mid-long range .308 AR Platform.

I currently have a Rock River Arms Entry Tactical, it was the first gun I ever owned and bought for myself. I have Magpul MOE gear on it, standard tactical riser mount as the iron sight. Troy 2point QD sling.

I love the rifle, its a blast to shoot, but in my almost 3 years of owning it, I doubt I have put 1k rounds through it, its never been used for a competition rifle, or ran courses. I would simply go to the "shooting spot" and shoot a mag or 2, then leave.

I think I would enjoy an AR that I could customize to shoot mid to long range with, and keep a short barrel (20'') preferably.

Unless I am buying Walmart Federal ammo, a box of 223 around my area is close to the same price of a box of Federal .308 from local stores.

I know it wouldnt be considered really precision, but still have fun at the range with and shooting a couple hundred yards.

Would you guys do the same in my position? Like I said I never shoot it, Ive shot my Remington 700 more in the last 6 months than I have the 5.56 in the last year.

Thanks for any opinions!

Re: Thinking of Trading-In 5.56 for 7.62...

Yep, I used to carry my AR15 everywhere in my truck but after seeing too many pigs run off when we zapped them on our hay fields at 100+ yards and thinking about future zombie applications, 308 is the obvious choice. 5.56 may be the ticket up close, but not between 100+ and 600 yards. Plus now you can use your new 308 for deer also (yes I know some states allow 5.56 on deer but its marginal at range IMHO).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In my opinion, get the 7.62! </div></div>

I second this motion. 5.56 for coyotes and varmints. 7.62 for killin hogs and deer and such. The only thing you give up by going to the 30 cal is a little weight. The power more than makes up for the extra weight too carry. JMHO

My 5.56 ARs are gathering dust since I got my LMT mws. You can find some match ammo ubder $15.00 a box or handloading is even better.

Keep your 223, and get a 6.5 grendel upper,

There really isn't much demand around here for varmints I suppose, we don't have too many wild hogs and things. Tons of groundhogs and things like that though.

I will check out the 6.5grendel, but my plan was to get the 7.62 AR platform, have it to blast away with, save the brass and reload it for the Rem700
smile.gif

Do some more research on the grendel. Ask for more input from the guys on here. You can use the 223 cheaper for playing around with and then switch uppers to shoot longer ranges with. Lighter weight, same trigger, same feel.

Since your looking for opinions.....

I would never get rid of my last 5.56 for a 7.62, but would certainly add to it. You mention shooting 200 yards at the range, and the 5.56mm is easily capable of going 3 times that far with good accuracy. At the range, the only advantage the 308 would have is with the wind, and I can not measure any difference until after 300 yards.

They are both fun though, and saving the brass for the 700 is a good reason all on its own. I just like to keep around at least one light weight carbine and a 20" AR10 will be very heavy. Mine for example is over 15 lbs without magazine.

I say both. I am a big fan of the 7.62 battle rifle set up. I owned a LMT MWS and loved it. That being said 7.62 should be in addition to a 5.56 IMO. If I had to pick one it would depend on situation and ammo available. I think a 12.5" 5.56 and a 18" 7.62 gas gun followed by a bolt gun in 338 LAP or 300win does just about everything a man needs to do with small arms.

Another vote for 7.62. Unless you are carrying it up the Hindu Kush or on patrol in the Sandbox, 7.62 it beats the 5.56.

BMT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CleanMoostang</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ive been on here looking at the AR-10 type rifles, LR308's, etc. And I have realized how much I think I would enjoy one..

I've got my Rem700 .308 I use for long range shooting and slowly learning "precision" shooting, but I think I would like a mid-long range .308 AR Platform.

I currently have a Rock River Arms Entry Tactical, it was the first gun I ever owned and bought for myself. I have Magpul MOE gear on it, standard tactical riser mount as the iron sight. Troy 2point QD sling.

I love the rifle, its a blast to shoot, but in my almost 3 years of owning it, I doubt I have put 1k rounds through it, its never been used for a competition rifle, or ran courses. I would simply go to the "shooting spot" and shoot a mag or 2, then leave.

I think I would enjoy an AR that I could customize to shoot mid to long range with, and keep a short barrel (20'') preferably.

Unless I am buying Walmart Federal ammo, a box of 223 around my area is close to the same price of a box of Federal .308 from local stores.

I know it wouldnt be considered really precision, but still have fun at the range with and shooting a couple hundred yards.

Would you guys do the same in my position? Like I said I never shoot it, Ive shot my Remington 700 more in the last 6 months than I have the 5.56 in the last year.

Thanks for any opinions! </div></div>

I'm thinking maybe it's because you've never had someone break into your house/business. Or, maybe you've never been in the wrong place at the wrong time and had someone want to breathe down your neck the hard way.

Don't get caught up in what you think would be more fun or whatever. Get what you see as a viable solution to what is going to happen someday when someone comes beating down your door looking for you and not giving a damn about the law.

Get the guns you need to protect yourself. Learn to use them and tactics that will help you use them in your defense.

After that, get any gun you want to just go and shoot. Shooting is a ton of fun. And, with different mindsets/solutions to what you might need to win a competition of some kind it can be fun learning to try it another way.

But, don't ever give up your basic protection guns or the tactics you employ to keep yourself handy with them. I personally have only put about 2k rounds through my AR-15 that I keep as a defensive weapon. I have other "cooler" guns. They will go first before I give up my defensive weapons.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In my opinion, get the 7.62! </div></div>
+1

I enjoyed my AR15. Bought it used, and it was a well set up carbine. It was my re-entry into shooting after being away from shooting for quite some time.

I've moved into a .308 AR now. Similarly, we have some other firearms that are .308 and others with parts that can swap around. Reduces a little inventory while supplementing spares. My AR15 is going to a new home, and I'm not looking back...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Amric</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since your looking for opinions.....

I would never get rid of my last 5.56 for a 7.62, but would certainly add to it. You mention shooting 200 yards at the range, and the 5.56mm is easily capable of going 3 times that far with good accuracy. At the range, the only advantage the 308 would have is with the wind, and I can not measure any difference until after 300 yards.

They are both fun though, and saving the brass for the 700 is a good reason all on its own. I just like to keep around at least one light weight carbine and a 20" AR10 will be very heavy. Mine for example is over 15 lbs without magazine. </div></div>

As long as your targets are paper, steel or small varmints your fine but if it is hunting game or defence it is a different story. The terminal ballistics for the 7.62 more than double the effective range of the 5.56. The long range accuracy of the 5.56 is great but the terminal ballistics drop into the pocket pistol class at distance. Both targets were five shots at 700 yards. Top photo used a 7.62 LMT mws and bottom a 5.56 Colt 6920.
[img

Uploaded with ImageShack.usimg]

[img

Uploaded with ImageShack.usimg]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve_Aryan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I say both. I am a big fan of the 7.62 battle rifle set up. I owned a LMT MWS and loved it. That being said 7.62 should be in addition to a 5.56 IMO. If I had to pick one it would depend on situation and ammo available. I think a 12.5" 5.56 and a 18" 7.62 gas gun followed by a bolt gun in 338 LAP or 300win does just about everything a man needs to do with small arms. </div></div>

I couldn't agree more. Go both (or all three as above). I've got an 18" .223 with a Swaro Z6i 1-6 for run n gun stuff, a 308 Monolith AR with a NF 5.5x22x50 for longer range duties and a T5A stocked bolt gun for longer yet. The monolith seems to be my go to rifle for most things but I practice assiduously with all three and I suspect I would go to the .223 for most social circumstances. The Swaro works really well in a CQB to intermediate range context

If you have to choose one, then stick with 5.56. A 7.62 is a great addition, but you should never be without a solid 5.56. Save up for a nice LR gas gun, but don't sell that 5.56.

I think you need to keep a .223/5.56 as long as it is popular and used by the military. I am not a doom and gloomer, wannabe zombie killer, blah, blah.

I do live in Florida though, where we've been known to have a hurricane or two occasionally. Thank God my area has never been directly hit but I know to expect weeks of chaos if I stay home and ride it out. First responders from my area that went to MS after Katrina said to expect at least two weeks without electricity.

I think the minimum you should have is a .223, .308, .22LR, 12 gauge, and 9mm. Everything after that is gravy.

I think you should save your pennies and get at least a single stage reloading press, ammo is not getting any cheaper. .308 gas guns are not known for being easy on brass either.

+1 to get a 308 AR but NOT at the expense of selling your 5.56. keep it and save till you can get the 308.

Just got my 308 POF, love it but would probably spend the $500 extra and get the GAP10 for that little extra accuracy if doing it again. Either way you get the POF rifle with ambi bolt release and mag drops.

Hollo new here so hello to everyone.
Get a LR-.243.It will do it all with the right bullet.JMO

Don't ever give up your 5.56. If if ever came to SHTF 5.56 ammo will probably be easier to come by and an AR-15 will be easier for your wife/g'friend/significant udder to shoot. Consider the LMT MWS, for the price of a barrel (which ain't cheap) you can add a 6.5 Creedmore, .243 or .260 to your 308. The swap-out, with the provided tool, takes less than 3 minutes, provided you don't have to wait for the barrel to cool...

Don't ever give up your 5.56. If if ever came to SHTF 5.56 ammo will probably be easier to come by and an AR-15 will be easier for your wife/g'friend/significant udder to shoot. Consider the LMT MWS, for the price of a barrel (which ain't cheap) you can add a 6.5 Creedmore, .243 or .260 to your 308. The swap-out, with the provided tool, takes less than 3 minutes, provided you don't have to wait for the barrel to cool...

There is alot of good advice in this thread....

My opinion,5.56 IS BETTER than a hand gun,BUT not as good as a 7.62...

Very true, lots of good thoughts. I think it all depends on what you want to do. I would think that you should be able to find 556 ammo much cheaper then 308. My guess is that you may need to look a bit more. If you are just interested in shooting one caliber. Is so then 308 makes sense. I think that shooting 556 is almost as much fun as 308 with the understanding they are different animals.

The cool thing about high end 308's is that they can be very accurate at distance. You may not be able to shoot an eye out but you can put it in the head. Don't discount the overall purpose of the weapon either. A 308 AR10 will give you the run and gun ability just like a 556 but at a much higher cost in ammo, weight, and less ammo capacity. One of the major upsides is that you will have much better penetration into objects that may be used as cover (when the bad guys come).

For training, running around shooting and home defense I would lean towards keeping your 556 and then buying an AR10 when the funds are in the bank.

Just a few thoughts from a new-ish shooter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ASM1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is alot of good advice in this thread....

My opinion,5.56 IS BETTER than a hand gun,BUT not as good as a 7.62... </div></div>

I totally agree.

i agree with the guys saying both, and this is why...
5.56 is best suited for dealing with all "soft" threats, meaning unarmored people. this would cover nearly all domestic,non-zombie related, terrestrially originating social disturbances or criminal/terrorist actions one may potentially encounter. it is cheaper ammo and ideally suited to urban armed conflicts.
7.62 imho is more suited for those "other times" when 5.56 is inadequate for penetration or range reasons, such as zombie outbreaks, extraterrestrial visit(aliens may have very thick skins or body armor), or invading army "red dawnlike" scenarios where standoff distances for assymetrical conflict may prove advantageous as well as against light armored pc's.
so i basically try to have both available in order to insure having the apropriate tool for varying mission requirements.
also, for a 7.62 platform id opt for a FAL or M1A over ar10 but im sure this is way more subjective and more to do with personal likes.

Keep the AR 15 and also buy a AR platform in 7.62 (.308 W). Use the AR for CQC, run and gun, at 25 -50 yards. Use the .308 for mid to long range precision shooting. You will have the best of both worlds. My favorite gun is my RR LAR 8 .308 W - it is just a fun gun and accurate (for the money). I just shot it this morning. I have a video of me somewhere showing my RR. If you are on a budget, this might be the answer (or DPMS). The guy next to me was shooting a JP Enterprises .308 - beautiful gun but double the cost of the RR. I found that I regret selling any gun I used to own. Keep the AR!!!

I am looking for the same thing. I think you might be surprised by just how accurate a well put together AR platform in .308 can be. I have been seeing quite a few of them showing up on the firing line at F class matches. I am looking at the Armalite AR10T for now, then add stuff as I go along. Everyone I talk too said Rock River is so far behind right now it's not worth looking at.

What type of glass are you looking at? If you sell the AR for a 308?