• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s this guy has guts or just big ones!!!!

Re: this guy has guts or just big ones!!!!

Shit...

I love playing with electricity.

I love the view from heights.

And I am happily NOT married.

I WANT THAT JOB!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crumpmd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nah, he's married. So that job is a piece of cake. </div></div>

You must have known my ex.

I've heard stories about guys getting vaporized "ie" turned to ashe in a split second after loosing a ground cable. Guts, Big Balls, what ever you want to call it those guys earn thier money the hard way.

Cool video!
Doesn't scare me I've been married twice.

I do wonder how the job description says for that job? Need guy who doesn't give a f$^&k about anything. Whimps need not apply.

I bet he make 6 figures and gets lots of out door time.

I seen that video before, pretty slick job. I wonder how
he applied for that one...

where my old man works, baltimore gas and electric, they go out and do that very same work around maryland. i've been trying for a while to get a job in there because i would love to have that job! and yes, it is very big money and takes quite a bit of confidence. makes my iron work career seem as safe as an office job!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ubet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's some balls. </div></div>

That Clank!

amazing video quality too. the audio, not so much, i had to crank everything to follow. thats one calm guy

Just like the Bomb Disposal guys there are not of lot of "oops" in that job. Also shows what a Hughes 500 pilot can do. They can make those things dance.

I'd do it, given the opportunity. Be one heck of an experience.

And then you get paid, too? Great.

We got trained on this procedure in electrical engineering school and the real danger/risk is in crashing the helicopter not in getting shorted out on the wire. There are crews that do this every day but flying conditions have to good or it becomes very foolhardy real quick.

That would be fun. I am wondering what the pilot gets paid. That is the smoothest flying I have ever seen.

The last time something like this was posted someone here on the hide was in the same proffession and had some pretty nice pics.

I've been a Lineman for thirty years,but I've never done that.I have ridden in a buggy or cart that runs on the wire,but never when energized.That pilot's skill is being overlooked,bigtime.Some people bitch about their light bill being too high! Pete

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete Theodore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">....That pilot's skill is being overlooked,bigtime.....</div></div>

You got that right. Its been a few years since shool but as I recall, the group that we worked with was out of Atlanta and had several crews that worked all over the world. They had only lost one crew and that happened in a weather change when the wind blew up rather quickly and the chopper got tangled in the wires trying to get the man off the line before the storm hit.

If the million volts don't get you, the fall probably will.

'GUTS' is arriving home late after a night out with the guys, being assaulted by your wife with a broom, and having the guts to say,'are you still cleaning or are you flying somewhere?'

'BALLS' is coming home late after a night out with the guys smelling of perfume and beer, lipstick on your collar, slapping your Wife squarely on the ass and having the balls to say, 'You're next fatty!'

S

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">'GUTS' is arriving home late after a night out with the guys, being assaulted by your wife with a broom, and having the guts to say,'are you still cleaning or are you flying somewhere?'

'BALLS' is coming home late after a night out with the guys smelling of perfume and beer, lipstick on your collar, slapping your Wife squarely on the ass and having the balls to say, 'You're next fatty!'

S </div></div>

LMAO! Either way your dead, might as well go out with a bang,I vote the second option

Nice ... one of my buddies does that as a pilot & I got a couple others that fly also . he has thousands of hours on rotor wing & he also specializes in long-line hauling of equipment too . has sent me pics. & it is pretty cool line of work . He is a damn good pilot .
Several times I been standing up on top & in-between the armatures of very large high tension power towers & standing on top the huge power line insulators that supports the hanging power cables . It is just 'really frigin crazy', as the static is just indescribable & you are engulfed in this huge flux field in-between the high voltage lines. you feel it running threw your body, Sparks fly from your finger tips and off your boots & your getting jolted by snapping shocks if let yourself go for any amount of time while moving around and not touching the tower to keep yourself grounded . Gives you the willies & Just to spooky and really tells you that you don't belong there .

I quoted a painting contract for TVA to paint 2 380' river crossing towers. If I remember correctly each wire was 500KV. When we did the initial inspection we had to take a safety class just to climb the tower while it was hot. While 380' is relatively short in my line of work, the voltage and environment makes it a whole different ballgame. Like someone said, if the electricity don't get ya, the fall, or at least the stop, will.
JH

this

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crumpmd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nah, he's married. So that job is a piece of cake. </div></div>

Is the helicopter the easiest/safest way up there? I watched it without the sound at first...didn't think it was in the US until I saw the patch

Can't say Where or Who, so don't ask

edit add :
yes those are lawn Hammocks .
-
photo4_zpsb36c08d6.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, resurrection of a three year old thread. Oldest one I've seen so far. But this is a really cool thread. I've heard of this job, but never seen video of it. Real cool.