• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

This is how it is done... (I just have to brag)

jbell

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jan 16, 2010
    Lewiston, ME
    Well ok I know a lot of you can shoot better than this, but I bet not by much:

This is 20 consecutive rounds 4 - 5 round groups shot by my 8 year old daughter at 50 yards. They were shot prone off a bipod with a rear bag using my Sauer 200TR. It averaged out at 0.346" for all 20 rounds. Every round was on the 1" shoot & see and I was spotting to keep her honest., but I have seen her do it before:

This is an old pic (last fall) of her shooting the Sauer.

Well I am updating this on 9/7/13:
    I took my girls out to shoot a target at 50 yards to enter BM11's rimfire challenge and they impressed me again:
    6 groups of 5 rounds at 50 yards shot prone off a bipod and rabbit ear bag soft fill and soft bottom.

I copied this from that thread:

Payton shooting and Emily spotting:

Emily shooting and Payton on the spotter:

Pic of the range (50 yard rimfire range):

The girls with their targets:

Emily's 50 yard entry:

Payton's 50 Yard entry:

Payton's best group:

Here is the break down:
    Emily's best group was 0.216" and the average was: 0.307"
    Payton's best group was an amazing 0.110" (I measured it 3 times) and average was: 0.290"

Last edited:
    Excellent! Well done jbell.
    I started 7 kids last week. 4 boys and 3 girls, using Savage Rascals and a chopped stock FV-SR.

She shoots better than a lot of grown adults I know, you are well within your rights to brag!! Always nice to see a Jr take an interest in and excelling at shooting. Props for being a good Dad for introducing her to it and supporting her future habits. :cool:

Nothing helps fan the interest more than something that inspires confidence, such as that setup and that level of accuracy. I guess accuracy is a relative term, but I found my kids are far more interested in shooting when they can hammer the X ring, such as you are teaching your daughters. Nicely done!

There's always one...

But it's true. Witness one case failure or any accident involving the eyes and you'll feel the same. I'm pretty strict on the glasses thing for that reason. They are so simple and so effective just in case.

Aside from that, awesome shooting! I can't shoot groups like that consistently. Good job!

Thank you to all for the kind comments! I know my girls should be wearing safety glasses anytime when shooting. They have pink safety glasses and wear them when we are shooting steel, I just am a little lax about rimfire on paper, no excuse but I do know. I have had her and her sister (7 years old) shooting for 2 years now and they do very well. They have a Crickett that we cammoed up in pink, purple, and yellow that they can hammer with. I have them holding 5-6 inches with the cheep cricket at 100 yards and the scope and trigger suck on that rifle. I just let them shoot the Sauer every now and then so they can see how well they can do, it is just too big and don't reinforce a good position.

I just figured I would share.

But it's true. Witness one case failure or any accident involving the eyes and you'll feel the same. I'm pretty strict on the glasses thing for that reason. They are so simple and so effective just in case.

Aside from that, awesome shooting! I can't shoot groups like that consistently. Good job!

Thanks hat was exactly my point. Having worked at a range and witnessed a couple catastrophic failures as well as several instances were jackets came back its just something I feel strongly about. Also in the current climate of liberal gun grabbers the last thing we want to show them is a child not following a basic safety rule. What we do want to show is what the rest of the post did a child who is learning how to properly use a firearm and who is showing a great deal of marksmanship for her age, I am all for teaching kids once they learn to respect guns they will never have a firearms accident. Good on you for teaching her and I am glad to hear they normally wear the glasses.

Awesome thread and shooting, the fun will last for years!

Get the glasses on though, YOU know who it will hurt the worst if the unexpected happens. Sorry.

i'm going to beat the dead horse a bit more and mention the glasses...but nice shooting. thanks for garnering interest in a young one.

I was outside cell reception when you posted this, but congrats on the fantastic shooting. It's pretty incredible to see this level of shooting from an 8 year old.

BAD IDEA!!!

I was once shooting rimfire, bolt action, WITH glases on and had a round explode while chambering. Part of the brass went INTO my arm and the other part embedded in my glasses in front of my right eye. I dont know why the round went off not in full battery but it did. I would be blind in my right eye or severely screwed on vision for not the glasses.

Thank you to all for the kind comments! I know my girls should be wearing safety glasses anytime when shooting. They have pink safety glasses and wear them when we are shooting steel, I just am a little lax about rimfire on paper, no excuse but I do know. I have had her and her sister (7 years old) shooting for 2 years now and they do very well. They have a Crickett that we cammoed up in pink, purple, and yellow that they can hammer with. I have them holding 5-6 inches with the cheep cricket at 100 yards and the scope and trigger suck on that rifle. I just let them shoot the Sauer every now and then so they can see how well they can do, it is just too big and don't reinforce a good position.

I just figured I would share.

There's always one...

I've met a lot of old-school guys who are hard of hearing from years of shooting without protection in their youth. I've yet to meet one who said he's glad he didn't know better. In fact, there's usually a lot of regret. I'm guessing it is the same for guys who've lost an eye.

Great for her! And for you for getting her started early. Let her know how much we all appreciate her level of shooting.

I expect to start my grandson next year when he is 5. I haven't decided what he'll use yet...probably a new purchase, heh, heh.

Nice shooting! Hope to see her all grown up and winning medals. +1 on the glasses though...never too late until it's too late.

Ditto on the glasses. I had a case failure in a Marlin 60 and got brass in the face once.

Nice shooting! Started my son around that time and now he shoots 1,000 yard F class.

I am thinking about building her a fast twist .223 soon, or maybe a 6mmBR...

Thank you for all the kind words everyone I have shown her this thread and she just smiles :)

This is 20 consecutive rounds 4 - 5 round groups shot by my 8 year old daughter at 50 yards. They were shot prone off a bipod with a rear bag using my Sauer 200TR. It averaged out at 0.346" for all 20 rounds. Every round was on the 1" shoot & see and I was spotting to keep her honest., but I have seen her do it before:

Imagine what she could do with a rifle that fits her.

"Lead them on the path ye would have them travel". Well done, sir. I just started my two grandkids 10/8 on a Rascal. Getting the hang of the peep sight has been a learning curve for them. Joined them up w/ a local .22 Rimfire Junior group that meets monthly. Grandpa takes em out once a month as well. Started their dad the same way when he was 10. By the time their dad was 12, he had won his division in IHMSA competition and now is a officer/firearms instructor for a county Sheriff agency that will remain nameless. Looks like your girls are on the right track. They're lucky to have a dad like you and you're lucky to have kids like them! Enjoy now, as the girls seem to grow up all too soon.

My girls have there own rifle, I just let them shoot mine from time to time. Here they are spotting for each other (I am trying to keep it interesting):

Their rifle that I let them help me paint:

Congratulations on getting them started the right way! Kids love to pick out their own targets and print them at home as well to help keep it interesting. I love the 'paint your rifle' idea - may need to consider that for my kids.

My girls have there own rifle, I just let them shoot mine from time to time. Here they are spotting for each other (I am trying to keep it interesting):

Their rifle that I let them help me paint:

Right on Dad!
    Betcha they are damn happy to have a father like you; good job and great shooting. Sure you already told them they had thumbs up from several guys on the Hide.
    Keep up the good work ;)

I updated this in the OP today with some fine shooting from both my little girls...

OMG, that's the best ever!! I would be super pumped to have such talented kids. Hat is off to the girls! Good work and kick ass shooting!

They are making me look bad! ;)

Well I am updating this on 9/7/13:
    I took my girls out to shoot a target at 50 yards to enter BM11's rimfire challenge and they impressed me again:
    6 groups of 5 rounds at 50 yards shot prone off a bipod and rabbit ear bag soft fill and soft bottom.

I copied this from that thread:

Payton shooting and Emily spotting:

Emily shooting and Payton on the spotter:

Pic of the range (50 yard rimfire range):

The girls with their targets:

Emily's 50 yard entry:

Payton's 50 Yard entry:

Payton's best group:

Here is the break down:
    Emily's best group was 0.216" and the average was: 0.307"
    Payton's best group was an amazing 0.110" (I measured it 3 times) and average was: 0.290"