• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing This new Rifle

cvedrick

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2009
League City, Texas
Just got a rifle on a buddy trade and know the $$$ part of it was good, but cannot find any solid information on it.

It is an "L.O.D. Training Associates" rifle in .308 appearently made between 1998 and 2005.

Stock is a custom McMillen 1 of +/- 200 made specifically for L.O.D.

Action is a SAKO 591 with SAKO trigger.

Unknown Barrel, Barrel SN is CP20546 with no other markings, have not yet checked Leade or twist, I am told it is SS, but no collaborating evidence as yet length is 24" muzzle Dia. is .925 definately a heavy bugger.

There is an attachment point on the buttstock for a monopod, but it is an internal type mount that uses an internal t-slot similar to an award plaque mounting. What do they call that and who do I buy a mono for it from?

From close examination, It appears to have never been fired, no scratches on internal magazine, bolt etc. trace amounts of guncote? polycoat? on bolt.

Application of Kroil to action turns black after 24 hours, probably machining crud still in the pores.

L.O.D. 1913 rail and entire barreled action covered in guncote type stuff with no scratches or mounting marks.

Trying to decide whether to keep, trade or sell off to a buddy.

Not going to mention buy price as many would turn greener than the stock.

Anyone have any info on these as to who made the barrel,whether it is indeed SS or any other information?

Also it has 4 "swivel attachment points" that appear to be recessed +/-.34 and the sane diameter. Appear to be some type of QD deal, but not sure what to order from Brownells

Re: This new Rifle

Shoot that rig. Maybe refinish it, but definitely keep it.

I have a M591 that came from the same era. I located one of the LOD bases and got it bought.

Awesome action, trigger is as well.

Pics would go a long way to an assessment.

The attachment point may be an Anshutze (sp) rail but they are usually found on fore ends. Match rifle (NRA High Power and such) shops have "T" rail accessories.

The QD mounts sound like flush cups and can be found in many places.

Cheers,

Doc

I will try to post some pics now, here is a try.

DSCN1319.jpg

OH bugger, I guess I need to photograph it in the sun, maybee tomorrow

A good friend of mine has this exact rifle. I think LOD was local to Houston, but is no more. I also think that the barrel and action were done over at Hart. His is painted green in color...Let me shoot him an e-mail and see what data I can find.

I am JPipes' friend with the rifle.

Your barrel (assuming that it is still as Billy Martin built it) is a Krieger. Twist should be 1:12 I think, and it is SS. I have one of his two prototypes that he built in .308, to determine whether final production guns should have a Hart or Krieger barrel. When he evaluated them (according to Billy), there was no real difference in performance, but Krieger was less expensive so he decided to go with them. My gun is to the best of my knowledge the only Hart barreled L.O.D. rifle built.

Other differences from production guns include:

SS pillar bedding instead of aluminum
Glass bedded action to just forward of the receiver

The finish is a teflon coating which he also had applied to the Mark 4 scopes that he sold with turn key rigs. The stock is a McMillian, but from what I remember Billy was the sole customer that they would build it for --- ever. His words, not mine.

I'm not sure who made his bases or rings, but they were all marked L.O.D., which was the name of a sniper school that he ran for several years before dropping from view in the late 90s or early 2000s. I had heard that he headed south of the border (how far I don't know), but that's all hear-say.

What I can say is that this rifle shoots like nobody's business. And though I haven't taken it out in a while, it's never disappointed me. I think I gave about $3500-$3600 for mine back in the mid-late 90's, and I'd be interested to know what you paid for your's. PM me if you don't mind disclosing that.

Here's some pics of mine I have on hand:
DSC00077.jpg

DSC00082.jpg

DSC00079.jpg

DSC00092.jpg

DSC00081.jpg

DSC00080.jpg

Saleen

Very nice rifle , I like the stock , the grip looks big and nice and vertical.

Those sako actions are great very well built and smooth

if the barrel has 4 lands and grooves its more than likely the Kreiger

I've handled that rifle, and the action and trigger are as smooth as glass. It's a hell of a fine rifle, all around.

Best,
Josh

The look of the stock never really grew on me, but it does work very well indeed. One other thing about these: for some reason, Billy liked the Versa Pod (which I absolutely HATE compared to a Harris). Mine still wears it's original, but shoots best with the Harris that currently resides on my FN SPRA1. The versa pod just has too much play in it for my taste.

Saleen

I have a friend at home that has one of these. got it NIB back in 2000, and last time I spoke to him I asked about it and he said he still hadnt made it to the range with it. work, tours in Iraq etc. kinda took priority for him.

Most of the information here is correct. I am the designer of the stock. Billy used a friend's wood working equipment to cut it out. McMillan produced them. I was his partner for a few years in Houston. The teflon coating was applied in Houston by a company that specialized in it. The Sako action is very smooth. the Krieger barrel would perform, we figured, for about 12,000 rounds (if taken care of properly). I wish I could afford to buy one of them for myself. The Data Book in the picture used to have my name on the inside of the cover. I designed all of the pages and had it printed on "rite in the rain" paper so that you could use it during inclement weather. Feel free to reply here or via PM with any questions. It's been 13 years so forgive me if I can't recall everything.

Dave

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: davjamrid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most of the information here is correct. I am the designer of the stock. Billy used a friend's wood working equipment to cut it out. McMillan produced them. I was his partner for a few years in Houston. The teflon coating was applied in Houston by a company that specialized in it. The Sako action is very smooth. the Krieger barrel would perform, we figured, for about 12,000 rounds (if taken care of properly). I wish I could afford to buy one of them for myself. The Data Book in the picture used to have my name on the inside of the cover. I designed all of the pages and had it printed on "rite in the rain" paper so that you could use it during inclement weather. Feel free to reply here or via PM with any questions. It's been 13 years so forgive me if I can't recall everything.

Dave </div></div>

WARNING ^^^^^^^^^^^^

If you want the straight skinny on this rifle from the TRUE designer of this rifle, the shown custom stock, and the range book (<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">NOT DAVJAMRID/DAVE RIDDLE regardless of what he might say here</span></span>), email or call Mr. Billy B. Martin @ [email protected] phone 713-681-4001.

Billy will give you the low-down on Riddle....and it's way low.

Saleen has utilized this weapon system extensively and is most knowledgable about it's capabilities.

Saleen, I'll PM you shortly.

Shame on you Riddle
mad.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: saleen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not sure who made his bases or rings, but they were all marked L.O.D., which was the name of a sniper school that he ran for several years before dropping from view in the late 90s or early 2000s.

Saleen </div></div>

The bases and rings are custom Leupold Mark 4 designed specifically for LOD and the MK4 10X MDR scope with adjustable parallax.

MCPD bought one of the stocks, scopes, and rings for the Rem 700 action. Had it re-barreled with a Krieger once the stock barrel became unservicable.

My stick wasn't the turn key that Saleen purchased but it sure will shoot. Less than 1MOA @ 300yds. Still have the 5 shot group I fired @ Camp Swift during 1 of the courses.

Had a lot of fun crawling around Camp Bullis didn't we Saleen?

Best Regards!

I purchased one of these rifles a few years ago and its been a safe queen ever since. It has not been fired by me or the previous owner so its literally new.I'm looking to sell it to help fund a car for my daughter for college.I would like to know its value in todays market.I will be listing it in the for sale section less scope and rings,it will include base and bi pod. Its exactly like the one above but with a Kreiger barrel.I also have the data book and paper work from the builder Billy Martin on how to properly maintain and clean the barrel..Thanks

"Line Of Departure" if I remember correctly.
Just stumbled across this old thread. Correct, "Line of Departure," officially. "Lethal on Demand" to those that Mr. Martin felt comfortable with. If I recall correctly, the Sako to Weaver scope bases were made by G,G&G of AZ.

Cheers,
180A

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: davjamrid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most of the information here is correct. I am the designer of the stock. Billy used a friend's wood working equipment to cut it out. McMillan produced them. I was his partner for a few years in Houston. The teflon coating was applied in Houston by a company that specialized in it. The Sako action is very smooth. the Krieger barrel would perform, we figured, for about 12,000 rounds (if taken care of properly). I wish I could afford to buy one of them for myself. The Data Book in the picture used to have my name on the inside of the cover. I designed all of the pages and had it printed on "rite in the rain" paper so that you could use it during inclement weather. Feel free to reply here or via PM with any questions. It's been 13 years so forgive me if I can't recall everything.

Dave </div></div>

WARNING ^^^^^^^^^^^^

If you want the straight skinny on this rifle from the TRUE designer of this rifle, the shown custom stock, and the range book (<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">NOT DAVJAMRID/DAVE RIDDLE regardless of what he might say here</span></span>), email or call Mr. Billy B. Martin @ [email protected] phone 713-681-4001.

Billy will give you the low-down on Riddle....and it's way low.

Saleen has utilized this weapon system extensively and is most knowledgable about it's capabilities.

Saleen, I'll PM you shortly.

Shame on you Riddle
mad.gif

And your information is flat wrong. End of discussion.