• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s This old bag

Porksboy

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Jul 10, 2019
    I found an old tool bag from the late fifties or early sixties that was my dads. He was a jet aircraft crew chief in the Air Force and went to work for Allison Aircraft in their engine department. This is the bag he was issued by them to carry tools and documentation in. He later worked for Lockheed on the C-130 project in the early sixties as a field service rep.
    He carried it for 30 plus years to many different "garden" spots on all seven continents.
    I am interested in being able to ocassionally use it for a suitcase when I take the ocassional trip. It has set for probably another 30 years in his moist basement.
    It is no longer musty smelling but the leather is dry and stiff. I think I need to clean it and condition the leather. I dont know how to go about that.
    Any suggestions?
    I have some photos

1627173942509.png

1627174032727.png

1627174097305.png
    View attachment 7674167
    1627174176645.png

The bag has my dads name painted on top with a stencil. I dont want to remove it.

Looks like it held nuclear codes at one time.

Something that special should get leatherique cleaner then restorer. Stuff for boots and, to a lesser extent, tack will break down the leather. Once in there, you'll never get mink oil or neatsfoot oil out of the leather. Leatherique is what the vintage Ferrari and Duesenberg guys use to bring back the old cardboard-hard original leather that matters. It's worth it for something special, like what you have there. FWIW, it'll smell pretty funky for a few days. Sihrmechanic called it right.
    www.leatherique.com

edited to add that I have no stake in the company.... just a satisfied customer

Reactions: crackerbrown
    Ive got some leatherique on the way.
    Thanks for the replies and I will post updates with pics.

That bag looks in great shape.

I am a fan of Pecards.

You could go for the "Antique Pecards" but I suspect it's same as regular or real close.

Rub the lotion on the skin.

If you shoe polish it be prepared for your clothing, couch or whatever it touches to be the buffing rag.