• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

This setup capable of 1000 yrds.?

deathdealer2

Private
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2009
Vernon Tx
Never shot past 300yrds. Have a Lr308 with 24 in. and a Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40( ballistic aiming system). Is this rig capable of punching out to a grand.

PB050098.jpg

Re: This setup capable of 1000 yrds.?

I don't think your ballistic aiming system is going to have enough "hold-over" to get you to 1000...............You could get some stoney point target turrets or sent the scope back to Leupold to have target turrets installed and this should work fine as long as you can dial in 35 to 40MOA from your 100 yard zero...... Your next option is to zero at 600 yards and you <span style="text-decoration: underline">might</span> be able to hold over to 1000 but any targets before 600 is going to be a "guess". I advise not going that route.

The rifle itself is more than capable of making it to 1000 though (with the right ammunition).

The rifle will but you will probably run out of elevation with your scope.

If you got an angled base or Burris signature rings.Then it would make life easier for you.

Steve

Like folks have already said...the rifle, with proper ammo, is very capable of making hits at 1,000 if the nutt behind the butt does his/her part.

The scope...you may actually be surprised. The VX-3 4.5-14x50 Adj. Obj. scopes have 116MOA of internal adjustment, so you may be close even with a 100yd zero.

By way of observation...one big problem is that you have your scope mounted WAY to high above the centerline of the bore. Ditch the thumbscrew, 1-pc mount and pick up a good Larue 1-pc base with a 20MOA (or so) forward cant built in.

Thanks 4 advice. I will look at the larue. 1000yrds would be fun, but coyotes and hogs are my my main objective and I can't justify a high dollar scope. But seeing some of the rigs on here makes my mouth water.

If I remember right, the first 1,000 yard shooting at camp perry was with the 30-40 crag.. Iron sights. later the '03 springfields took over with about the same power as the .308 Win.
have fun and good luck

Dang Denny, you old enough to remember shooting Krags at Camp Perry?

DPMS says it will hit at 1000 yards with the right optics, the right/patient shooter, and plenty of practice.

I managed to pop a clay pigeon at just over 400 yards with my LR-308C (even with the FTF's going on). And that was done on a freshly mounted new-to-me scope with just 3 rounds at 25 yards and 5 rounds at 50 yards to get the scope zeroed to the rifle.

My set up:
DPMS LR-308C
Magpul PRS stock
UTG bipod (going away for a different pod)
Rock River high-rise scope mount
32x scope (going to a mil-dot very soon)

No issues with the accuracy, but you may have a difference from me as yours is an 18 inch bull barrel and mine is the 20 inch mid-weight barrel.