• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

This this vintage caliper set acceptable for measuring case dimensions?

Love the older tooling. In many ways, made better than stuff today. I have a 30 year old Mitutoyo and a newer Starrett. The Starrett gets the nod only due to the dial. I do love the vernier scale on my Mitutoyos though...

I'll take these, thanks. PM for info!

Lol

Use 'em then pass them to your kids/grandkids. Solid instruments.

Congrats, very nice and it will do the job just fine provided they are calibrated and certified like @Mayhem52 pointed out. I have all of my instruments calibrated yearly, even if I don't use it. I actually prefer a dial caliper to a digital so that is a beauty to me.

Also note that on calipers there is an error called the Abbé’s principle because measurements are not inline or on the same plane which causes inaccuracy. Much of this is caused by the improper use of these instruments. I remember reading an article many years ago regarding this. There was a group of 20+ machinist, tool designers, engineers and "experts" from the manufacturers of the instruments. All of these people were well respected and Subject Matter Experts (SME's) in there fields. They each had to measure a Standard of unknown dimensions. I wish I could remember the numbers but only about 20% of the people got the correct number. Some were off by up to .005" on a 6" bar if I remember correctly. The point of the article was to ensure that people learn the correct way and amount of pressure to apply. It really is an art and must be practiced. I understand for this application being off by .001" may not be a problem, however this is an area that is often over looked when trying to get an accurate measurement and thought I would share.

The point of the article was to ensure that people learn the correct way and amount of pressure to apply. It really is an art and must be practiced. I understand for this application being off by .001" may not be a problem, however this is an area that is often over looked when trying to get an accurate measurement and thought I would share.
This is a critical point. The hardest time I have with guys is showing them how much pressure to use. First I show them how much you can flex the calipers and impact the reading, then I give them a standard to measure so that they know what the correct amount of pressure is. Its a total feel thing at the individual level, and it is important.

Then of course you have the jackwagon machinists who will push hard or barely touch a part to pass in-process inspection. Those are the ones you know are dishonest in many things, not just their work.

This is a critical point. The hardest time I have with guys is showing them how much pressure to use. First I show them how much you can flex the calipers and impact the reading, then I give them a standard to measure so that they know what the correct amount of pressure is. Its a total feel thing at the individual level, and it is important.

Then of course you have the jackwagon machinists who will push hard or barely touch a part to pass in-process inspection. Those are the ones you know are dishonest in many things, not just their work.
Also very true of micrometers, and most other instrument that have a human interface.
One reason to keep the thimble clean and lightly lubed. Those without a slip type thimble are very sensitive to varying pressures.
Good point, and thanks for the reminder.

Also, a good "thin" lube that is handy for most reloaders is the Hornady One-shot. I wouldn't use it all the time, but a lot of hand loaders wont have the proper lube (and probably no time to get it before loading up for next match).

Reactions: DustBun