• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thompson Center Performance Center Long Range Rifle

Lag1791

Private
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2018
Searched for reviews buts seems too new to have any in depth reviews. Anyone here have experience with one of these?
I'm saving up to purchase my 1st long range rifle 6.5 CM. Was pretty much set on the RPR but saw this. Really like the style and value! My local gun shop is selling these at an intro price point below MSRP that is a few hundred below what I would pay for the RPR. That said I really like the amount of flexibility and parts available for the RPR. It seems fairly straight forward to replace the barrel and aftermarket for that rifle is super strong.
tc-long-range.jpg

Between the two, you're going to have a lot more support for the RPR. Don't get me wrong, both out of the box will probably shoot great, but if you're wanting to upgrade things like barrels, triggers, buttstocks, etc, you're way better off with the RPR. T/C has never had very strong aftermarket support and appear to have pretty regional groups of people who love them. Either way, it's your rifle and your money, so it's your choice, not mine ;)

Aren't Thompson Centers known to be extremely good shooters from the get go? If so, what's the need for "aftermarket support"?

What does that rifle really need that isn't already there? I'm sure any competent gunsmith can thread a barrel for it.

Not everyone makes it a sport to buy and bolt on every aftermarket goodie that comes along.

Eagle1899,

Aftermarket support is kinda needed when you shoot out the 2500 rd barrel to find a smith that can do the barrel or decide that you wish the trigger was lighter.

Thanks

Between the two, you're going to have a lot more support for the RPR. Don't get me wrong, both out of the box will probably shoot great, but if you're wanting to upgrade things like barrels, triggers, buttstocks, etc, you're way better off with the RPR. T/C has never had very strong aftermarket support and appear to have pretty regional groups of people who love them. Either way, it's your rifle and your money, so it's your choice, not mine ;)

Missed this message.

Also are you the OEM for that chassis? because that chassis looks very similar to the LLS-XL Gen II (just more bloated and plain)

Missed this message.

Also are you the OEM for that chassis? because that chassis looks very similar to the LLS-XL Gen II (just more bloated and plain)

I am with you @GGK, there are no pre fit barrels that I am aware of, however a competent smith should be able to match the thread and cut it. However, like you said, if you want to switch out your trigger, bolt handle or even to another stock/chassis, you're super limited in options (if any).

We are not the OEM on this chassis, but we do agree that it looks strangely familiar :unsure:
lss-xl_gen2_sideonFDE_9f23b5d8-9d9d-410f-bf27-5d99e567d95b_1024x1024.jpg

GAP was slated to do the "Snipers Hide Rifle build" on Icon actions. S&W dropped the ball.

GAP was slated to do the "Snipers Hide Rifle build" on Icon actions. S&W dropped the ball.

That's too bad. I had an icon and it was a smooth action just no aftermarket support and crappy twist rate for .223

The barricade stop looks goofy. Lots of other options out their in that price range.

Reactions: SonicBurlap
Honestly, if I were the OP I would say, Howa Bravo, Howa HCR, Tikka CTR and a Bravo, Bergara HMR or just build something off a cheap tikka action. Any of those options will be doable for that kind of money and will give you a better base.

The Howas are so cheap that it almost makes more sense to swap the barrel action when the barrel goes south, but there are people making prefits for them right now also.

Does this accept Magpul AICS, or is it limited to proprietary mags?

Like mentioned previously, they have good reputation to shoot good. But they're not as tried and tested as others are. Personally, I'd go a different route if it was my money. Good luck on your decision!

Reactions: SonicBurlap
Side note:

If any TC reps are reading this-

They need to put their Dimension rifle (it’s the one that is a bolt action with multi-barrel capability similar to an AR15) in a chassis like this.

Offer it in some great twist rates for

6.5 cm

That would sale like hot cakes if it were around 1000-1200 bucks

I can give you my 2 cents worth on this rifle as I own one in 6.5 CM as well as a Rem 700 in .308 with a Mapul stock, Howa KRG Bravo in 6mm CM and a Bergara HMR in 6.5 CM, Love'm all. The Thompson Center shoots as good or better than all the others and it came with the best stock trigger of the 4 rifles, the Bergara, a close second. The stock is awesome and very user friendly. One thing I do not like is that you have to unscrew the cheek riser to take the bolt out which takes about 30 seconds, unlike the Howa's cheek riser, that takes maybe a second. Other than that the TC stock is way over it's pay grade. The bolt is massive compared to the other three, the circumference of the bolt is a third bigger and has a 3 lug system which gives you a 60 degree bolt throw and the bolt is smooth, the Bergara has the smoothest bolt out of the 4 , the Howa has a little binding in it. The Caldwell bipod is useless as it has no pivot and is hard mounted, so basically a kick stand. The bbl is what they call 5R rifling and it does clean up faster than the others with cut rifling. I put an M-LOK device on it that allows me to attach a Harris bipod for easy installation and removal. It also comes with a muzzle brake and a 20 moa picatinny rail Oh and the rifle came with a very, very nice gun case. You get a lot for your money compared to the others and this rifle will shoot as good as you need it too and a little better if you put the right loads through it. Of course a guy could buy the Ruger, Tikka or many others and be just as happy. There's my 2 cents....well...maybe 4 cents.

I can recommend the Bergara HMR in both versions B14 and Pro. gtg out of the box.

I can recommend this mine is a 6.5, at range yesterday i had 1 " group at 300 yds with hornady 143 eldx factory ammo. More than happy with purchase $950

I can give you my 2 cents worth on this rifle as I own one in 6.5 CM as well as a Rem 700 in .308 with a Mapul stock, Howa KRG Bravo in 6mm CM and a Bergara HMR in 6.5 CM, Love'm all. The Thompson Center shoots as good or better than all the others and it came with the best stock trigger of the 4 rifles, the Bergara, a close second. The stock is awesome and very user friendly. One thing I do not like is that you have to unscrew the cheek riser to take the bolt out which takes about 30 seconds, unlike the Howa's cheek riser, that takes maybe a second. Other than that the TC stock is way over it's pay grade. The bolt is massive compared to the other three, the circumference of the bolt is a third bigger and has a 3 lug system which gives you a 60 degree bolt throw and the bolt is smooth, the Bergara has the smoothest bolt out of the 4 , the Howa has a little binding in it. The Caldwell bipod is useless as it has no pivot and is hard mounted, so basically a kick stand. The bbl is what they call 5R rifling and it does clean up faster than the others with cut rifling. I put an M-LOK device on it that allows me to attach a Harris bipod for easy installation and removal. It also comes with a muzzle brake and a 20 moa picatinny rail Oh and the rifle came with a very, very nice gun case. You get a lot for your money compared to the others and this rifle will shoot as good as you need it too and a little better if you put the right loads through it. Of course a guy could buy the Ruger, Tikka or many others and be just as happy. There's my 2 cents....well...maybe 4 cents.
instead of taking the cheek riser out you can loosen the one bolt the holds on the butt stock on and pull the whole thing off. that way your cheek riser height never changes. I've been doing it for about a year with out issues. my only problem with the gun is I can't single round feed it when I'm doing load development. also the bolt is a bear to take apart. best groups I've gotten are sub 1/2 moa at 100

Reactions: 4844