• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Thompson Center's new Tactical Rifle

Cheese

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2006
CONUS
Here is a few pictures of Thompson Center's entry into the Tactical Rifle world.
The rifle is called the "Warlord" cool name I might add.
I was fortunate enough to get a call from Mr. Ian McMurchy noted weapons and hunting author not long ago asking if the folks at Thompson Center could get one of our Tactical Upgrade Harris bipods with Pod Claws for use on their new rifle system.
The weapon was tested just a few days ago out at Western Powders during some very cold and windy conditions.
Mr McMurchy reported that during the test firing the temps were minus twenty with a considerable amount of wind.
The rifle as shown in the pics performed very well with several 2" groups at 700 yds. using the 175gr bullet (.308 caliber).
I can't tell you too much more about the rifle except that we are very proud to have our Pod Claws supporting it and on display at SHOT with the rifle.
DSC_0092.jpg

DSC_0082.jpg

DSC_101.jpg

Mr. McMurchy at the steel deer target they used at 1000yds.
The Warlord is set to be on display at the Thompson Center booth #3073 at SHOT. Now If I could just get my hands on one!
grin.gif

Thanks,

Re: Thompson Center's new Tactical Rifle

That looks like a Manners MCS T2 on the rifle. Like the finish, look like its a PVD coating.
I had a look at the Thompson web site, there is a great video on there with a guy shooting in the rain, LMAO.
Pete

Nice!

Wish I could go to SHOT.

I had the pleasure of visiting with Mr. McMurchy at the 07 SH Bash. Hell of a nice guy.

Hunter

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kmussack</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...<span style="color: #FF0000">several 2" groups at 700 yds</span>... </div></div>

Wow, that must be quite a rifle. </div></div>

and trigger puller!

George,

Is this the rifle that you consulted on and help Thompson Center design?

Pat

Yes thats the one.

Cheese, I hope Ian told you it was OK to post these pictures.

They way I understood it was that it was suposed to be kept under wrap until till shot.

George,
Ian called me late last night to have me post the information.
Outstanding work on your end.
Hellova' rifle.
See you at shot!
grin.gif

Wow,

thought it was gonna use AW mags not AICS, o-well looks great...I hope they still plan on keeping it priced to compete with other stock tacticals, some how I think it will not even b close in terms of price....

thanks for posting the info..I know I and others have been buggin the shit out of George about this project....

Very nice! Interested to see what calibers it becomes available in.

Hasn`t Thompson Center been purchased by S&W?

I asked on the S&W forum if S&W might have any plans to release a tactical style rifle to go along with their M&P pistols and AR15s and never got any sort of response.

Hmmmm

Wow, it seems like it will have most of the features of my Surgeon build. I wonder what the price point will be?

Integral recoil lug
Integral base
Manners T2A
Badger M5
Match heavy barrel

That will be my next rifle.
This project has had my interest since George told us about it, way back when.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lizzardking308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anyone know a ballpark cost? </div></div>

a lot of bottle tops!

First of all, I am not bashing this in any way. I am interested in this platform, and have questions.

Guys I have to ask. The ICON Tact pictured looks pretty nice. I will give you that. The standard ICON, I am not so crazy about.

What is the attraction to this rifle? Just wanting others opinions. The industry is searching pretty hard for a "new" something. In the bolt action line up, this seems to be the most promising.

I have only played with one at last years SHOT show, and the biggest draw back was the bolt. The rest of the fit and finish looked darn nice. I have heard since that the bolt can be changed similar to a Tikka, is this correct?

The recoil lug set up is more than enough, but why would they have gone that route? Why not even a lug similar to a Rem (just a blade) behind the front screwhole.

Simply what is the attraction? Something different? I do like the looks of the back of the bolt. Smooth and flowing. Looks nice. The rail looks good, and I like the look feel of the ejection port.

What are the trigger options? Is the factory adjustable to please the precision shooter? Any word of a Timney, Rifle Basic, or Jewell?

Nice!!! Looking forward to more pictures and info on this one.

Gunner,

For me my interest have been for the following reasons, and from the looks of it may have been some changes since we got the intial info pre SHOT 07'...

intigrated rail
larger bolt w/3lugs
less throw to manipulate the action
3 reciol lugs (true it does seem like a lot) with a matted alluminum bedding block
custom bottom metal/tirgger guard that takes AW mags(not sure if this is still an option)
side bolt release
bolt flutting
choice of bolt knob options

I must admit I more intersted in the action than a specific build, but from conversations with George in the past, it sounds like it could be a while before the action alone is available...

webfoot did a nice job of hitting the highlights for me.

I would like to add that the cylindrical action will not allow side-jams, unlike Rems and Savages. Also, the increased contact area between the bolt and action, all the way around instead of top and bottom, should slow wear on coated surfaces and non-coated surfaces, even with a fluted bolt. Should give a very smooth bolt-throw too. Integrated rail should add just a bit of ridgidity, and negates the need to correct twisting or bending of the rail with bedding or the like. Lapping of quality rings will not be needed, depending on where you fall with the argument.
laugh.gif

Release Date?

Price?

I NEED a new precision rifle, and have been thinking about a T3 Varmint next. Maybe this would fill that role?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: webfoot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">o ya also thoguht they were doing a custom bottom metal, looks Badger to me...</div></div>

Not Badger totally different.

AW mags may still be an option, this is the first working prototype so there will still be some changes.

There will be a SH rifle based on this action sometime this year. It will happen, we just have to wait and see it takes a while to get things exactly right. TC in not rushing this they are wanting this to be Perfect

To answer a few other questions that I have decent answers for:

Trigger is adjustable and they are nice no need for replacments.

Bolt handles are replacable and there will be lots of options.

there will be 5 and 10 round mags.

the 3 recoil lugs on the action lock into a 1/4 7075 plate. The plate is intragal to the pillars that go through the stock. Very strong system!!!

the 1913 rail is machined in (like a surgeon) and has 20MOA cant built in.

The side bolt release is slick and works great

The Barrels are 1-12 5R for the 308 Win , there is talk of a possible 6.5 offering as well.

I saw the rifle and I thought Oh NO !!! , AICS mags , had hoped it would be a low cost AI AW alternate ( it was mentioned that it would run on AW type mags, I was interested in it using a double stack/feed mag , if thats not the case , I donot think I will be interested in it.

Later CHris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lizzardking308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">oh boy, here goes the savings acct again... it never ends. </div></div>

I second that emotion

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I saw the rifle and I thought Oh NO !!! , AICS mags , had hoped it would be a low cost AI AW alternate ( it was mentioned that it would run on AW type mags, I was interested in it using a double stack/feed mag , if thats not the case , I donot think I will be interested in it.
</div></div>

In the end it will probably use a 5 and 10 round mag of T/C's design as AI would never keep up with T/C in production. But It may be a mag like the AW Mag.

Looks sweet... but price could screw the pooch on this

Any ideas of price range at all?

oooooohhhhhh ahhhhhhhh 7wsm for me.. but with the t2..shit I am supposed to be scope shopping c ya..

George...No price range whatsoever? More than $2000 but less than $3000 perhaps?

Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chrisj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">George...No price range whatsoever? More than $2000 but less than $3000 perhaps?

Chris </div></div>

Closer to 2800 ish but I wont know for sure till everyone
involved gives me pricing.

We are still looking forward to doing this build on the new TC Icon/Warlord action but it still remains up in the air as when the actions will be available to us. Ill keep you guys posted be rest assured i have not forgotten about it, I hold only one hand in a deck of 52 cards on this one. Be patient.

I do know the stock will be a Manners T-2A stock as this is the only stock made for it so far. So its definatly the only one in play at the moment.

Any word on which calibers are going to be availible? .308 of course, some kind of 6.5? How about a 243?
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoomerTG1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">bump </div></div>

indeed

bench

they had this rifle on Guns and Ammo the other day. They were showing 1.75" at 200 yards though.