• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

those who've necked 6mm lapua to .22, bushing size?

is it necessary to do a 2-step?
It's generally necessary if you want to avoid tortured case mouths and excessive runout.

Though it depends on your die. If you're using traditional bushings... then yes. If you're using SAC bushings... maybe you can pull off a one pass. I can do one pass in a custom FL die... but its tough on the mouths for sure.

if you are making 22cm the lapua isn't the best choice, thick necks and the small primer pocket cause problems

I have had issues with both, I blamed the hangfires on Federal AR primers first, ball powder etc. Switched to Hornady and the problem ceased.

Neck issues, difficult to chamber, case separations, high pressure on starting loads, all those problems went away just by changing case manufacturer, I was not able to measure changes in measurements on loaded ammo or fired brass.

There must be issues or there wouldn't be so many inquiries about the problem. I may even go ahead and turn my Hornady brass as well just because.

I have TL3 and I am able to adjust my headspace relatively easy. I have it set for a fairly tight chamber now as a result of trying to decipher the separated cases.

hornady would always be my last brass choice, unless the caliber wasn't available elsewhere. Seems kinda odd

I have had issues with both, I blamed the hangfires on Federal AR primers first, ball powder etc. Switched to Hornady and the problem ceased.

Neck issues, difficult to chamber, case separations, high pressure on starting loads, all those problems went away just by changing case manufacturer, I was not able to measure changes in measurements on loaded ammo or fired brass.
I don't mean to be crude, but these issues were very likely caused by something else...

I've been running small primer lapua and alpha brass for some time in 22 creed... and I've never experienced any of the issues you are sharing.

I don't mean to be crude, but these issues were very likely caused by something else...

I've been running small primer lapua and alpha brass for some time in 22 creed... and I've never experienced any of the issues you are sharing.
well Lord bless you, I guess you are a beautiful blessed individual. This isn't my first rodeo with wildcats and custom chambers. The white paper from Peterson's even recommends using large rifle primer brass for best ignition, they even go so far as to recommend magnum primers.

well Lord bless you, I guess you are a beautiful blessed individual. This isn't my first rodeo with wildcats and custom chambers. The white paper from Peterson's even recommends using large rifle primer brass for best ignition, they even go so far as to recommend magnum primers.
I was not able to measure changes in measurements on loaded ammo or fired brass.

So youre very accomplished, just cant be bothered to measure your work to provide any actual information. Good insight. Im proud of you.

Reactions: 260284
So youre very accomplished, just cant be bothered to measure your work to provide any actual information. Good insight. Im proud of you.
yeah buddy, not all of us have the money to buy all the little things that make life boring. I could add all the measurements and issues and it would be long enough so you could poke fun at me, Troll on ole bud.

Case head separations and the other issues you mention, aren't being caused by Lapua brass. There's plenty of people that have been doing things wrong for a long time. Doing the same wrong thing for a long time, doesn't turn it into the right thing. I'd be happy to go through your process with you and help work out the various issues you mentioned. I would need you to get some "boring" measurements to actually know what you're working with however, or I'm not sure I could be much help.

Until the new Alpha OCD becomes available... the lapua offering has been the singular best brass for the 22 creed. That's a fact.

CCI-450's solve the ignition issues with the harder to ignite powders. Really, any magnum primer will do. Everyone knows you use magnum small primers when the powder volume gets over 25gr anyway. If someone is using a tight neck chamber, then they turn the brass. If they don't like turning necks, then they should stop using tight neck reamers... so that takes care of that problem.

I suppose I should mention, the "Peterson white paper"... contains my content. I've been working with 22 creeds since shortly after 6.5 creeds became a thing.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube

It's generally necessary if you want to avoid tortured case mouths and excessive runout.

Though it depends on your die. If you're using traditional bushings... then yes. If you're using SAC bushings... maybe you can pull off a one pass. I can do one pass in a custom FL die... but its tough on the mouths for sure.

and I did not see it mentioned, but making sure the case mouth is de-burred on the outside. I ruined some cases trying to skip this step, but it always works better cleaning up the case mouth and then necking down, and it does work better doing it in 2 stages. I would not have believed it if I had not actually done it.

Adding: truing the neck first, either expander ball or mandrel. When necking down, anything that can catch the edge can push the mouth into the shoulder and ruin the case.

Last edited:
yeah buddy, not all of us have the money to buy all the little things that make life boring. I could add all the measurements and issues and it would be long enough so you could poke fun at me, Troll on ole bud.
you chimed in here, with no actual specifications and your claims are pretty damn general. I think you should step out of the conversation, you've been most unhelpful

you chimed in here, with no actual specifications and your claims are pretty damn general. I think you should step out of the conversation, you've been most unhelpful
where are your actual specifications, each chamber has some differences, especially those with adjustable headspace, that is why I haven't gone into intricate boring details about each and every round I chambered and where it fit into the cluster of the group at 25 yards, piss off troll.

where are your actual specifications, each chamber has some differences, especially those with adjustable headspace, that is why I haven't gone into intricate boring details about each and every round I chambered and where it fit into the cluster of the group at 25 yards, piss off troll.
Hes the one asking for that info in the first place you god damn dipshit

• Haha
Reactions: dcnyli and LR1845
Are you sniffing glue?