• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Thou shalt NOT break-in your new rifle

Re: Thou shalt NOT break-in your new rifle

I quit doing it about three builds back....waste of time and componenets...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I quit doing it about three builds back....waste of time and componenets...</div></div>

+1

clean the barrel when you first get it back from the gunsmith, and start finding a load.

not-this-shit-again.gif

Your preaching to the quire with that crap.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
not-this-shit-again.gif

Your preaching to the choir with that crap.
</div></div>

I just found my new sig. LOL!

I wonder why he used pic of one of Benchmarks Barrels...and that was the old way we stamped them, we have a newer better system now!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Art Y.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thou shalt NOT break-in your new rifle ... saith Mr. McMillan, himself.

http://www.6mmbr.com/gailmcmbreakin.html

What are your thots on this?
</div></div>

Well, to answer your question, This was stated by Gail McMillan, a man who has made quite a bit of money manufacturing fantastic, occasionally revolutionary and very expensive rifles for a living for a very long time. Someone who would stand to lose money and credibility if he propagated ideas that were false or when employed could degrade the accuracy and life of the very rifles that he built his good name on. Its safe to say he has his S**T together and has for a very long time. He could also stand to make more money if he did tell people to shoot and clean the s**t out of his barrels before actually "shooting" them.

So my question to you is, if someone else you ask contradicts the words of Mr. McM, on what grounds would you possibly take some random internet forum goers words over his?

I am led to draw the conclusion that you answered your own question purely by the manner in which you asked it.

And the congregation said AMEN.

Barrel break-in makes no difference.

To each his own. I do a short version of a break in on factory guns but not on customs. I feel as long as a barrel is hand lapped, it's pointless to break it in.

But its the transition from reamer to hand lapped barrel. Ask Kreiger. Or Walt Berger. But you don't need to shoot & clean, shoot & clean, etc. However it is wise to make sure that transition is lacking burrs, etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Art Y.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thou shalt NOT break-in your new rifle ... saith Mr. McMillan, himself.

http://www.6mmbr.com/gailmcmbreakin.html

What are your thots on this?
</div></div>

My thoughts are that this topic has beaten to death many times before. Why are you bringing it up again?

If I buy a gun from a manufacturer that recommends that I break it in, you bet your ass I'm going to. If there any problems with it I am not letting them use that as an excuse not to warranty the accuracy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nexusfire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I buy a gun from a manufacturer that recommends that I break it in, you bet your ass I'm going to. If there any problems with it I am not letting them use that as an excuse not to warranty the accuracy. </div></div>

How would they know whether you simply "shot it' or if you broke it in ?

Aside from what you say, that is...

Also I would submit if it has an accuracy guarantee, chances are they already shot it to confirm that accuracy, so if they guaranteed it without breaking it, then why is it your responsibility to do some sort of break in after the fact ?

Not to mention that most rifles will have already been shot by the manufacturer anywhere from 3 to 5, or even more rounds before you get it. Cleaning/copper removal between the first 10 single shots seems moot when there have already been multiple shots without it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">....waste of time and componenets...</div></div>

Agreed. My break in consists of cleaning the barrel from the factory, & then shooting it until accuracy starts to fade.

For a guy like me, keeping things simple just seems to produce better results. YMMV.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: terrance250</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">....waste of time and componenets...</div></div>

Agreed. My break in consists of cleaning the barrel from the factory, & then shooting it until accuracy starts to fade.

For a guy like me, keeping things simple just seems to produce better results. YMMV. </div></div>

That's pretty much how I do it. I might clean it after the first 5 or so rounds just to make sure I actually got it clean, then have at it.

If you're shooting a rifle that's bore can be altered by a cotton patch, you need a new gun.

My cotton patches eat steel mills... just fyi.

BREAK-IN & CLEANING

With any premium barrel that has been finish lapped -- such as your Krieger Barrel --, the lay or direction of the finish is in the direction of the bullet travel, so fouling is minimal. This is true of any properly finish-lapped barrel regardless of how it is rifled. If it is not finish-lapped, there will be reamer marks left in the bore that are directly across the direction of the bullet travel. This occurs even in a button-rifled barrel as the button cannot completely iron out these reamer marks.

Because the lay of the finish is in the direction of the bullet travel, very little is done to the bore during break-in, but the throat is another story. When your barrel is chambered, by necessity there are reamer marks left in the throat that are across the lands, i.e. across the direction of the bullet travel. In a new barrel they are very distinct; much like the teeth on a very fine file. When the bullet is forced into the throat, copper dust is released into the gas which at this temperature and pressure is actually a plasma. The copper dust is vaporized in this gas and is carried down the barrel. As the gas expands and cools, the copper comes out of suspension and is deposited in the bore. This makes it appear as if the source of the fouling is the bore when it is actually for the most part the new throat. If this copper is allowed to stay in the bore, and subsequent bullets and deposits are fired over it; copper which adheres well to itself, will build up quickly and may be difficult to remove later. So when we break in a barrel, our goal is to get the throat polished without allowing copper to build up in the bore. This is the reasoning for the "fire-one-shot-and-clean" procedure.

Barrels will vary slightly in how many rounds they take to break in because of things like slightly different machinability of the steel, or steel chemistry, or the condition of the chambering reamer, etc. . . For example a chrome moly barrel may take longer to break in than stainless steel because it is more abrasion resistant even though it is the same hardness. Also chrome moly has a little more of an affinity for copper than stainless steel so it will usually show a little more "color" if you are using a chemical cleaner. (Chrome moly and stainless steel are different materials with some things in common and others different.) Rim Fire barrels can take an extremely long time to break in -- sometimes requiring several hundred rounds or more. But cleaning can be lengthened to every 25-50 rounds. The break-in procedure and the clearing procedure are really the same except for the frequency. Remember the goal is to get or keep the barrel clean while polishing out the throat.

Finally, the best way to break-in the barrel is to observe when the barrel is broken in; i.e. when the fouling is reduced. This is better than some set number of cycles of "shoot and clean" as many owners report practically no fouling after the first few shots, and more break-in would be pointless. Conversely, if more is required, a set number would not address that either. Besides, cleaning is not a completely benign procedure so it should be done carefully and no more than necessary.

http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/Break_In__Cleaning-c1246-wp2558.htm

and

Break in and Cleaning

The age old question, "Breaking in the New Barrel". Opinions very a lot here, and this is a very subjective topic. For the most part, the only thing you are breaking in, is the throat area of the barrel. The nicer the finish that the Finish Reamer or Throating Reamer leaves, the faster the throat will break in.

Shoot one round and clean for the first two rounds individually. Look to see what the barrel is telling you. If I'm getting little to no copper out of it, I sit down and shoot the gun. Say 4 - 5 round groups and then clean. If the barrel cleans easily and shoots well, we consider it done.

If the barrel shows some copper or is taking a little longer to clean after the first two, shoot a group of 3 rounds and clean. Then a group of 5 and clean.

After you shoot the 3rd group and 5th group, watch how long it takes to clean. Also notice your group sizes. If the group sizes are good and the cleaning is getting easier or is staying the same, then shoot 4 - 5 round groups.

If fouling appears to be heavy and taking a while to clean, notice your group sizes. If group sizes are good and not going sour, you don't have a fouling problem. Some barrels will clean easier than others. Some barrels may take a little longer to break in. Remember the throat. Fouling can start all the way from here. We have noticed sometimes that even up to approximately 100 rounds, a barrel can show signs of a lot of copper, but it still shoots really well and then for no apparent reason, you will notice little to no copper and it will clean really easy.

This is meant as guide lines only. There is no hard and fast rule for breaking in a barrel.

http://bartleinbarrels.com/BreakInCleaning.htm

dave

Bore cleaner for two strokes down the barrel. Then dry patches until it's gone. That's all I did for my McGowen barrel on my Savage. After a few rounds to get on paper, it shot under 1/2 moa. Why mess with a good thing. Mind you, McGowen actually recommends a "break in." Hmmm.

So GA Precision is full of shit and has no idea what they are talking about?

GAP has a break in procedure simply because they got tired of customers asking about it and expecting one.

I am pretty sure George does not break in his personal rifles...for what that's worth.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nexusfire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So GA Precision is full of shit and has no idea what they are talking about? </div></div>

No one said that. If you notice at the top of the flyer you get with GAP rifles it says, "Recommended." Not "Required to shoot straight."

Here's a good video that someone posted awhile back

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TRRahHX9Zkg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">GAP has a break in procedure simply because they got tired of customers asking about it and expecting one.

I am pretty sure George does not break in his personal rifles...for what that's worth. </div></div>

Sorry that sounds a little ridiculous. If he didn't see some benefit I doubt he'd recommend it.

Have you ever spoke to George? I have in detail, along with a dozen GAP rifles in my safe.

It doesn't hurt anything and gives people who just spent $3k+ peace of mind and keeps the phone from ringing. None of my early GAP rifles included a break in. It was included when people started to ask.

I would recommend not assuming things you have no idea about.

no i think everyone should take their new rifle and clean it after every round for the first 300 rounds. that way it is truely seasoned. your gun will be sure to last 12 times as long as mine. just saying and when you do that make sure to post that in your for sale add when your listing it for sale with 301 rounds through it for 10 dollars less then retail so i can make sure to not buy it...

And if you want more ridiculous, Tuesday call TacOps, they have a 1/4" guarantee, ask Mike what he recommends for a break in, and report back. When he says there is none, tell him that is ridiculous. After ask him about cold bore shifts with his rifle and see what he says.

Not this shit again 0_o .............................

I am a competition benchrest shooter....barrel break in is usually almost nil with my 30ppc. A friend of mine chambers my barrels using a top quality reamer. We use nothing but kriegers.

With a Fresh Barrel:
1. Clean with Bore shine.
2. Shoot 2 rounds, clean till no more blue from copper.
3. Shoot 4-5 rounds, clean till no blue
4. Shoot 8-9 rounds, clean.....should be no blue. Enjoy your new barrel and clean on your normal schedule.
5. If there is still blue...shoot 9 more and repeat till no blue.

Rarely, and I mean almost never do I have a barrel go past step 4. Don't take it as being a bad barrel if it does, I currently have one on my 100yd bench gun that took 50+ rounds to quit coppering...and you couldnt get me to sell that barrel. It shoots very well. At the Texas State champs in Seymour, Tx a couple of weeks ago I shot a .125(someone took small group from me with a .121) 5 shot group in 30+mph winds....my 5 shot 5 group ag with that barrel was just over .25"

I was told, "if it gives you more confidence in your equipment go ahead". Personally, when I'm paying that much money for a high-end rifle it doesn't bother me to shoot and clean a couple times.

I always do a break in, why? well thats because thats the way i was taught back in the day and thats the way Ive always done it. Do my rifles shoot better with the breakin than without....I dont know and dont really care, the process allows me to get 30 fireformed brass for the new rifle. Im always gonna do the break in. Why do people get riled up about this subject. If you wanna break in do it if you dont then dont do it. EASY

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you ever spoke to George? I have in detail, along with a dozen GAP rifles in my safe.

It doesn't hurt anything and gives people who just spent $3k+ peace of mind and keeps the phone from ringing. None of my early GAP rifles included a break in. It was included when people started to ask.

I would recommend not assuming things you have no idea about. </div></div>

Whoa easy there. I am just trying to understand why a reputable company would suggest this procedure if it is not necessary. There must be some benefit to it or he would say "our guns are so awesome no break in is needed" I would "assume".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nexusfire</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you ever spoke to George? I have in detail, along with a dozen GAP rifles in my safe.

I would recommend not assuming things you have no idea about. </div></div>Whoa easy there. I am just trying to understand why a reputable company would suggest this procedure if it is not necessary. There must be some benefit to it or he would say "our guns are so awesome no break in is needed" I would "assume".</div></div>

Its pretty much exactly what Frank said, There is no real reason to "Break In" a barrel. But there are scores of debates from just about everyone on the Who's Who of shooting to argue either side. So I send a Recomended Break in for the guys who want to use the meathod and the guys like Frank and others can just blow it off!! It does exactly what frank says keeps hundreds from calling the shop. Its even downloadable from our website.

Basic rule of thumb If it shoots it shoots.

Same thing with cleaning every 500 rounds or so is fine. If the barrel is ceasing to shoot after 50 rounds get a better barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A10XRIFLE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nexusfire</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you ever spoke to George? I have in detail, along with a dozen GAP rifles in my safe.

I would recommend not assuming things you have no idea about. </div></div>Whoa easy there. I am just trying to understand why a reputable company would suggest this procedure if it is not necessary. There must be some benefit to it or he would say "our guns are so awesome no break in is needed" I would "assume".</div></div>

Its pretty much exactly what Frank said, There is no real reason to "Break In" a barrel. But there are scores of debates from just about everyone on the Who's Who of shooting to argue either side. So I send a Recomended Break in for the guys who want to use the meathod and the guys like Frank and others can just blow it off!! It does exactly what frank says keeps hundreds from calling the shop. Its even downloadable from our website.

Basic rule of thumb If it shoots it shoots.

Same thing with cleaning every 500 rounds or so is fine. If the barrel is ceasing to shoot after 50 rounds get a better barrel.

</div></div>

So Sayeth The George, Amen.

if the barrels is so badly made maybe but all my barrels are hand lapped before leaving the Trueflight factory and shoot 1/4 moa if I dont wobble -can they shoot better , probably but I cant! Breaking in should only be for horses

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ch'e</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Breaking in should only be for horses </div></div>Maybe not according to Monty Roberts....just sayin'
laugh.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Dx91mH2voo

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ch'e</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Breaking in should only be for horses </div></div>Maybe not according to Monty Roberts....just sayin'
laugh.gif

http://www.montyroberts.com/ </div></div>

The men in white coats might be around if you start whispering to your barrel -haha jus sayin

It's all about the non-violent method.

Can't speak for Mike at Tac Ops but after Lowlight's post, I'm thinking Mike doesn't want to hear his phone ringing with calls tomorrow about barrel break-in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheodoreKaragias</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can't speak for Mike at Tac Ops but after Lowlight's post, I'm thinking Mike doesn't want to hear his phone ringing with calls tomorrow about barrel break-in.</div></div>

Hopefully they got the picture after George posting ... from the Horses' mouth so to speak.

Can I have the two hours of my life back I spent doing it?

^^^ Tinker Bell might be able to give you your two hours back
laugh.gif

To the person that stated why we get riled up well be cause there is only a few hundred topics started on this unproven theory thats why! Its really simple search the million mother bitchin pages that will pop up in a a simple google search. Then make up your mother F#&*^%*&#*$& ING !!!!!!!! MIND UP after you see all the forums threads that have both sides in them.

Aron-