• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Thoughts and opinions on new build & optic.

Lag1791

Private
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2018
Building my 1st higher end precision rifle. I went way over my original budget but at this point I'm just saying the hell with it. So far what I have now is this:
MDT ACC chassis system
MDT Ckye pod
TT Diamond trigger
Area 419 muzzle break
PVA Prefit M24 barrel (6.5CM prefit for Origin action)
Action will be a Zermatt Arms Origin once my FFL opens back up after this virus BS.

Now I'm debating optic. I have a Athlon Ares BTR (mil) that i have been shooting on my cheapo TC Compass rifle. I actually like the scope so the thought was originally to upgrade to the Athlon Ares ETR. Then I was looking at the Vortex Razors for not much more money. I think I have come to the conclusion that I am more of a buy-one-cry-once type guy. The more research that I do into the manufacture and design of these optics the more i'm thinking of just going allot higher end. Right now I have my eye on the ZCO ZC527 and i will probably be able to afford one around tax time next year. It is literally more than 3x the cost of the Aries ETR.

So my thoughts now is move the Aries BTR over to the build for a year with some ARC rings and save up for the ZC527. My goal with this rifle is to get into PRS style shooting. Would like to know the opinions of others on this.

Thanks.

Reactions: Moose
You will never be sorry with the ZC527 it does not get much better than that.I don't know if you reload so do not forget about ammo cost.

Reactions: Lag1791
Yes, I do reload.

Mark 5 cch

Now I never really thought of Leopold but I took a look at the Mark 5HD and really like it. What i like even more Is because i'm a military veteran they offer VIP discount. I will be able to pick up the Mark 5HD 5-25 for a little more than an Aries ETR. I think that is an offer I can't pass up. I am not sure about the CCH reticle though. I might go with the H59 instead.

Another good option to hold you over until the ZCO that can be had for a reasonable price would the the Athlon Cronus.

I am very happy with the Cronus BTR on my 6.5. Not the same as the Tangent on my 300 but very good for the price. Canadian $$ is turning into the peso so maybe USD pricing will come down on those.

Lots of good glass options out there. Every once in a while a Tangent shows up in the PX close to ZCO price, but don't think you would give up anything with either. Buy once, cry once.

If your budget allows for a ZCO I would never talk you out of it, but you can get very good value for your $$ from the PX by buying a used scope. I would suggest looking for (in order of my own preference):

The only reason I've listed the first 4 before the S&B is because, for PRS style matches I prefer a christmas tree reticle. Optically the S&B is better than my first 3 choices.

Vortex AMG w/EBR-7B
Kahles K624i w/ SKMR, SKMR2, or SKMR3
Kahles K525i w/ SKMR3
Vortex Gen II Razor 4.5-27 w/EBR-2C
S&B 5-25x56 w/ H2CMR or P4F

Also as others have said, the Leupold Mk 5HD with CCH reticle is a very good value and you might find one for sale on the PX for an even better value.

If your budget allows for a ZCO I would never talk you out of it, but you can get very good value for your $$ from the PX by buying a used scope. I would suggest looking for (in order of my own preference):

The only reason I've listed the first 4 before the S&B is because, for PRS style matches I prefer a christmas tree reticle. Optically the S&B is better than my first 3 choices.

Vortex AMG w/EBR-7B
Kahles K624i w/ SKMR, SKMR2, or SKMR3
Kahles K525i w/ SKMR3
Vortex Gen II Razor 4.5-27 w/EBR-2C
S&B 5-25x56 w/ H2CMR or P4F

Also as others have said, the Leupold Mk 5HD with CCH reticle is a very good value and you might find one for sale on the PX for an even better value.

yes, I think i'm going to go with the Leupold MK 5HD. I just signed up tonight for their VIP discount program (i'm a Veteran) and I can get 45% off MSRP. Which would put me slightly over $1500 for the 5-25x56 MIL CCH. Its is a deal I really cant/shouldn't pass up.

$1500 for a Leupold Mk 5HD is a great deal and I have played with that scope at my club and I really really LIKE that scope!

I went back and forth between the h59 and the cch. Ultimately chose the cch for the open crosshairs and I liked the 1/10 mill lines all the way at the top. I had a h37 mark4 so the 59 seemed more familiar but ended up cch.

Thanks for the recommendation. Just purchased Mark 5HD 7-35x56 CCH. With my veterans discount it was still significantly under $2k.

I ended up liking the CCH reticle more and more I looked at it.

I got the same exact scope and made the same choice after melting my brain between the two retical. My wife shoots everything but lrp and when I showed her both side by side just for the heck of it believe it or not her response not knowing the typical terms said the cch looked “less busy” that was also one of the decision makers. Maybe just needed another eye. Enjoy it!