• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thoughts of 300 win mag

Big joe

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2013
I was just wondering what everyone's thought is on a 300 win mag for shooting 1000 yards plus.or what caliber would you suggest

wow... all i can say is... this may get confusing
Yup, 1k plus what? Just kidding. 300win is a fine 1k cartridge, from my research and experience it is fine up to 1400yds. Around there ish it goes sub sonic depending on projectile.
All this depends on what you are doing at 1k plus. Killing paper, game, or 2 legged varmints?

Last edited:
Long VLDs and it kills stuff and distance. Nothing wrong with it, but getting the BC to go long distances requires more twist than most factory 1 in 10 barrels are.

It's a good economical magnum cartridge if you're moving up from 6.5mm or .30 cal cartridges for longer range shooting. .338LM beats the snot out of it past 1400 yards, but I think the vast majority of long range shooters that move up to magnums tend to keep inside that distance, so going with a .300WM is wise. Quality brass, bullets and factory ammo are all very affordable compared to .338LM.

I was just wondering, at Camp Perry, 1000 yard (score kept, real paper targets) how has the 300WM done over the years? Has anyone ever won any of the 1000yard events with a 300WIN?

I have a good friend who is stuck on 300wm like you wouldn't believe. He does well with it. I prefer 6.5, 7mm or 338 offerings.

I don't do much past 6-700 yards but I stuck with the 300WM and sold off my 338LM due to cost of components mainly brass at the time. I couldn't find it and when it did it was more than gold. For me the 300WM is great plus it works great on the 30cal suppressors I have. I only run the suppressor on it when I'm using my UNS.

The 300WM has won some. Carlos Hathcock used to shoot it and if memeory servs he won a few matches out there.

You beat me to the punch on that one, I believe hathcock did indeed use a 300 win mag to win the wimbledon cup at the 1000 yrd mark. Hes pretty amazing. My personal thoughts on the round however are its a bit tough on barrels (from what ive read, havent shot one enough to wear it out) and I don't care for the recoil if im only punching paper. For game animals I play with the 300 weatherby, for paper I like the 308 and I like the 260 rem even more. Less recoil out of both and superb ballistics out of the 260 pretty ballistically similar to the 300 win mag as far as drop and drift... Been playing with a friend of mines 260 and am strongly debating rebarreling my 308 when I kill it.. eventually... also been wanting to build a 284 win.. sorry to muddy the thread

With Berger's .308 230gn offering you can nearly match a 338LM and at 2800 it does not go subsonic for nearly a mile.