• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

thoughts on 700P

axeman700

Private
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2009
Northern Illinois
I couldn't pass the deal on a slightly used 700P (1996) with all the extra goodies. What are some of your thoughts on this rifle and what options I have for improving accuracy and user friendliness. I'm obviously gonna have to get to the range and get a feel for it, but I'm looking for thoughts and ideas from you guys that already know what I need to learn. Any help will be appreciated.
Is it possible to convert it to DBM?
Is the trigger user adjustable?
Who does a good action and trigger tune up and what might it cost me?
I'm new at tactical bolt guns but not to shooting. Can ya tell?
Thanks in advance.

Re: thoughts on 700P

Welcome to the hide.The 700P is a great starter rifle (depending on caliber) , since you stated that you are new to bolt guns, id suggest buying lots of ammo,perhaps even taking up a precision rifle class and shoot the shit out of it. Ill tell you before someone tells you in "assholish" way, try using the search, their is a shit ton of info here being provided by a lot of experienced guys.

What extra "goodies" came with your rig?

As far as the trigger is concerned yes its user adjustable but if youve never done it before id suggest taking it to a reputable smith.

Thanks for the tip on using the search Jerseymike. Rifle is .308 and has about 200 rounds through it. It was Remington's law Enforcement "Package" at the time. It sports a Leupold 3.5-10X (vari-x III I think), nice pellican case, pretty impressive "Knight" drag bag, Harris 6-9" bipod and 150 rounds of Federal ball ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: axeman-700</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the tip on using the search Jerseymike. Rifle is .308 and has about 200 rounds through it. It was Remington's law Enforcement "Package" at the time. It sports a Leupold 3.5-10X (vari-x III I think), nice pellican case, pretty impressive "Knight" drag bag, Harris 6-9" bipod and 150 rounds of Federal ball ammo. </div></div>

Sounds like you have the making of a fine rifle there. Would consider reloading to find the best match for your barrel harmonic. Besides, manufactured ammo can be expensive, if you are shooting match grade. Don't forget the range report. BTW, you can learn a lot from a 308 stick.

As far as user friendliness I would say a bolt knob and maybe a eagle stock pouch.