• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Thoughts on a mill.. Clausing 8520

GasLight

That Guy
Banned !
Minuteman
Does anyone know anything about these machines? I found a deal on one locally, not sure all what it comes with, but it is 6"x24". I know eventually I will be wanting more, but until I have a better shop, this might fit nicely in the garage if it is of any real use.

Thanks for any input!

Dave

Re: Thoughts on a mill.. Clausing 8520

You'll regret that small of a table.As far as quality I've never used that particular one. I think Atlas is the parent company of Clausing and Bridge port so I'm sure it's decent.

Depending on the condition and price, it would make a nice addition for small jobs.

I doubt it would be difficult to sell when the time comes to upgrade.

I dont believe that it has a R8 spindle and that may restrict you somewhat. As far as quality, I have heard they are great, I have a 14X48 clausing lathe that is top shelf.

Let me start by saying I'm not a machinist. I messed with the Bridgeport at work a little, that's about the limit of my knowledge.
I have an 8520. The MT2 spindle will limit your tool choices quite a bit. Other than that it's a good solid mill. Clausing hasnt made this model in 30 years, but they still have parts & support.
I would NOT opt for the chinese version. Other than the r8 tooling, I do not see the advantage. You will NOT have a parts source or support for it. The chinese motors have a history of lasting a few days longer than the warranty period. I dont pertucilary trust chinese metallurgy either.

It 's a very capable mill for it's size. It's VERY popular for home hobby guys beacuse it can be taken down to 3 parts and brought into basements. For that reason there's usually a price premium on these....especially in nice cond and if tooled. A bridgeport may be cheaper depending on where you are.
I got mine in western NC for $750. Had to drive from NJ to get it.
I can easily double my price today if I'd like.
Mine is 110 volt, but if the one youre looking at is 3 phase, dont worry. You can get a phase converter for under $100 and it can vary the motor speed. You'd never have to change the speed by the belts again. A big + IMO. I'd prefer mine was 3 ph because of this.
I'm planning on adding a DRO on mine asap.
HTH.

My brother has had an 8520 for 11 years.
I used it Tuesday.

8520s are so sought after that foreigners have started cloning them like a Single Action Army Colt.

If one shows up on Craig's list anywhere in the nation, the seller will be inundated with out of state email.

Those looking for them are looking hard.

Expect to pay as much for this little knee mill as you would pay for a very nice new Chinese knee mill that weighs 3 times as much... delivered to your house.

A Millrite/Powermatic or a Rockwell 21-100 are also two options. Theyre slightly larger than the Clausing 8520 but still a "manageable" size.
They both are available with R8 quills IIRC.

I also considered some of the square column chinese jobs.(RF-45 type) New they start about $1600 (+ stand and shipping)and can be had with the R8 taper and 110 volt motors, though the 2hp model is 220.

Here's a chart to compare the different chinese jobs:
MiniMills.jpg

I had a better chart but I cant seem to find it now.

I have one I bought for personal use several years ago. I paid 2400 ish shipped a freight point. It is 3 phase and came with a VFD. I barely used it but it was a massive step up from the mini-mill I had. Of course now we have the full shop so it just sits in my garage. Then the VFD went out (it was a super cheap one).

The previous posters are right about them being much sought after. They will take up to a 1/2" endmill (and really what are you cutting with a small mill that you need larger than that), and if you get a collet set like I did there's not an issue with the BS30 collets. Mine would take a pretty stout cut out of aluminum with a roughing end mill, kind of surprised me actually.
Justin

The 8520 can be setup to use larger mills.
I have an MT2-ER40 adapter. It's not something you'd use for heavy cuts, but if used gently it will work.
It can be done.

Well, thanks again for all the help, I went to look at it, and I couldn't help myself. I picked it up for $800, it includes a set of collets. I figure it will be a great mill for now, and when I am ready and have room to step up to a bigger mill, I will be able to sell this real easy. I am thinking it will be pretty handy and will likely keep it even when I am ready for a bigger mill...

Thanks again!!

Dave

Dave, good find. Next, look for a variable frequency drive that was mentioned above. You can change speeds without changing belt position. This is huge. And yeah keep it, it takes up little space and is worth far more to use even for 2nd ops than to sell for a few hundred or a couple thousand.
Justin