• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thoughts on annealing 5.56 ammo for AR15

wjm1000

Private
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2010
PA
I've been reloading for 60 some years but new to loading for 5.56 AR15. I usually anneal after each firing of my long range guns (408/338) and others. But not sure about doing that for my 5.56 I don't like to crimp my bullets but was concerned I may not have enough neck tension (usually 0.003" interference fit) after annealing to securely hold the bullet. Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.

I anneal after every loading to reduce neck splits and for consistent seating. I don't crimp (either magazine-length or long single-feed 80-grain loads for 600 yards). .003 is about perfect -- I use an RCBS Small Base die.

I lose most cases to neck splits and loose primer pockets. I have thousands of GI cases (mostly Lake City and WCC military Winchester) dating back to the 70s and 80s, but also IMI, Federal FC, Taipei Army Arsenal TAA, and commercial Winchester and Black Hills (Winchester).

I segregate odd headstamps (Fiocchi, Hornady, Norma, Speer, Wolf, etc.) for 55-grain fun "blasting" ammo.

Last edited:
I anneal after every loading to reduce neck splits and for consistent seating. I don't crimp (either magazine-length or long single-feed 80-grain loads for 600 yards). .003 is about perfect -- I use an RCBS Small Base die.

I lose most cases to neck splits and loose primer pockets. I have thousands of GI cases (mostly Lake City and WCC military Winchester) dating back to the 70s and 80s, but also IMI, Federal FC, Taipei Army Arsenal TAA, and commercial Winchester and Black Hills (Winchester).

I segregate odd headstamps (Fiocchi, Hornady, Norma, Speer, Wolf, etc.) for 55-grain fun "blasting" ammo.
Thanks for the info!

I anneal .223/5.56 after reloading 3 times or so to prevent split necks at around 4 or 5 times. But do the annealing prior to resizing. Resizing will harden the neck slightly so it will not be too soft and have too little tension.

Reactions: sinister