• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Thoughts on Badger Ordnance

Apex360

Private
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2012
I was originally going to start my custom build on either a Defiance Deviant or Rebel. Now I saw there is a group buy going on for a 2013 Badger Ordnance action. My original thought was maybe a Defiance Deviant in an XLR Chassis.

What are your guys's thoughts and recommendations on starting my build on a Badger action instead?

Thanks,
-Anthony

They both seem to be about the same price. Will the badger fit into xlr chassis?

Do you guys have any preferences between the XLR and Aics AX Chassis?

Ya, after doing a lot more research and checking out various photos. The XLR has really rubbed off on me even more. I'm pretty sure i'm mostly likely going to go with the XLR.

Would using Cerakote Microslick improve bolt lift on the Badger Ordnance Action?

not really. the bolt lift is associated with cocking. its a nechanical process. the badger has to accomplish in 60 degress what the defiance does in 90

not really. the bolt lift is associated with cocking. its a nechanical process. the badger has to accomplish in 60 degress what the defiance does in 90

So does a TRG...

...and those cock more easily than a lot of 90° actions.

Just saying.

So does a TRG...

...and those cock more easily than a lot of 90° actions.

Just saying.

Very true. Just saying that the Badger is engineered differently than the Defiance (per the OP) There was some magic that was worked over on the M2008 and the M2013 has supposedly made great strides as far as the heavy bolt lift. I've always been a fan of the Badger..bolt lift and all

Proper lube can have a huge impact on bolt lift. I have a Barnard model P (3 lug - 60 degree). When dry, lifting the bolt is pretty tough - definitely hard enough to disturb the rifle a bit. But with a little lithium grease on the bolt lugs and cam, and all of a sudden, it's a breeze. Huge difference.

Very true. Just saying that the Badger is engineered differently than the Defiance (per the OP) There was some magic that was worked over on the M2008 and the M2013 has supposedly made great strides as far as the heavy bolt lift. I've always been a fan of the Badger..bolt lift and all

I think I'm going to go with the BO M2013. Because of the group buy I'll save a little $$$. And because it's going to be my first build, I won't really know if I'm missing much because of a little heavier bolt lift. And either way, I know it's going to be a great quality action.

good choice. the thing is a tank. I love that its different than all the other customs. it may be heavy but it has some great features

good choice. the thing is a tank. I love that its different than all the other customs. it may be heavy but it has some great features
I think that's why it kinda draws me to it, because it's different than the rest.

I would say get the Whiskey 3 as well, but if you're more comfortable with the XLR hen go for it. The XLR is very clean with no unneeded bulk. The KRG is simply badass, built like tank (very munch like the Badger).

I would say get the Whiskey 3 as well, but if you're more comfortable with the XLR hen go for it. The XLR is very clean with no unneeded bulk. The KRG is simply badass, built like tank (very munch like the Badger).
I have no experience with either. I'm not stuck on the XLR quite yet. What makes the KRG BADASS?! I am still a student ready to learn. HAha

The KRG is extremely solid. Many say that it is the most comfortable stock that they have been behind (but as we all know that is extremely subjective) There is a slew of accessories to taylor the chassis to your particular needs. I personally prefer a chassis that does not have a tubular forearm, but again that's just me. If you are building a comp/Tac gun then the XLR may better suit your needs. But for a working rifle that may get a real world beating I would select the KRG

Thanks for the valuable info. I will definitely look further into it.

Everyone is going to tell you to just find someone who has one and get behind it. Great advice, but not easily done. You may just end up having to make an educated guess/decision. Best of luck

I don't know about the KRG. It seems like a great stock, but i kinda like the XLR a little better. Just to many options. Haha

Yeah, the option paralysis can get you wrapped around the axle sometimes. I spent 3 months just choosing which 6mm to go with on my last build. Truth is most of 'em woulda worked. I've shot behind an xlr and it was nice. Just like the KRG a bit better.

Yeah, the option paralysis can get you wrapped around the axle sometimes. I spent 3 months just choosing which 6mm to go with on my last build. Truth is most of 'em woulda worked. I've shot behind an xlr and it was nice. Just like the KRG a bit better.
Well, i guess either way i choose, i'll be happy. And if anything....it'll just give me a reason to do another build after.

I was originally going to start my custom build on either a Defiance Deviant or Rebel. Now I saw there is a group buy going on for a 2013 Badger Ordnance action. My original thought was maybe a Defiance Deviant in an XLR Chassis.

What are your guys's thoughts and recommendations on starting my build on a Badger action instead?

Thanks,
-Anthony

I have the M2013. I put it on an AICS. I sent the AICS to BO and they inletted it for me: less than a week. The sweetest, smoothest action I have is a Stiller Tac 30, but I have to say, the 2013 is something special. It has a unique character. Particularly if you get it with the round knob. It shares lots of the same features as the AI but a crap load less $$$. The bolt lift is heavy but you don't notice in the heat of the moment.

I have the M2013. I put it on an AICS. I sent the AICS to BO and they inletted it for me: less than a week. The sweetest, smoothest action I have is a Stiller Tac 30, but I have to say, the 2013 is something special. It has a unique character. Particularly if you get it with the round knob. It shares lots of the same features as the AI but a crap load less $$$. The bolt lift is heavy but you don't notice in the heat of the moment.
Thanks for your insight. Definitely helps in making my decision.