• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

THOUGHTS on CMMG and STAG and DPMS....AR15's..

Bullseyelr

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 28, 2009
VA
Thoughts on CMMG and STAG AR15's....need advise on which brand M4 style I should get....pro's and con's and thoughts....also DPMS but mainly CMMG and STAG....thanks....The CMMG I am looking at is the M4LE and the STAG is the M4....thanks....

Re: THOUGHTS on CMMG and STAG and DPMS....AR15's..

I would rate CMMG above DPMS and wayyy above Stag. Ive had all 3 brands, had problems with the later 2, so I sold them all and stuck with CMMG.

My question is why the CMMG is cheaper than the Stag? I mean, is the CMMG a good brand and well built gun? What would the M4LE be (law enforcement)???? I wonder what the difference is in the M4LE and the M$....thanks

First off, let me say I have never handled or fired either a Stag or DPMS. I have however been able to fire many rounds through a CMMG M4LE. My roommate purchased his with a RAS and 5 extra CMMG mags with rear BUIS for 1000 NIB at the Dallas Gun Show last year. It is very well built and took everything we threw at it, I would say it is a very respected brand in that price range. IMHO you would be hard pressed to find a better built AR-15 for that price. And if I were you I'd spring for the gas-piston version of the M4LE. You can find them for under $1000 now. Not a bad deal at all.

After doing a LOT of research, mostly reading reviews and range reports (which to me is what really tells the story), I built a 16" CMMG middy using a factory CMMG upper, and building my own CMMG lower.
Statistics on paper aside, I read more reviews like both of the above. Can you buy a "better" rifle? Depends on what "better" is to you. You can certainly spend more money. Can you get a better value for your $$? Not IMO.
CMMG has all the important features you can ever ask for and I've never read a single bad word about them.

Thanks for the reply...keep the info coming. The more the better!!!!

Although none of the riles you mentioned are bad, IMO the CMMG is a better rifle and much more value for your money.

Pop

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bullseyelr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thoughts on CMMG and STAG AR15's....need advise on which brand M4 style I should get....pro's and con's and thoughts....also DPMS but mainly CMMG and STAG....thanks....The CMMG I am looking at is the M4LE and the STAG is the M4....thanks....<span style="color: #FF0000">also what is a "T" marked upper and what is the difference in an M4 feed ramp and non-m4 feed ramp???? </span></div></div>
For the sake of those who don't know, a T marked upper is an upper that has the numbers etched in the picatinny rail. The numbers are preceeded by a T, and start from the end of the rail closest to the shooter and work forward. Some receivers have the number system, some don't. Some aftermarket railed handguards are also numbered accordingly; T numbers being on Top, B numbers being on Bottom. Go figure.

M4 feed ramps are an extended version of the standard feed ramp. The M4 feed ramps are slightly deeper and longer, and will extend into the receiver just a bit, which is the easiest way to tell if you have them or not. If they don't extend into the receiver, they are standard feed ramps. If the receiver is cut for the M4 ramps, but the barrel extension isn't, it can cause feeding problems. If the barrel extension has extended ramps, but the receiver doesn't, it really won't hurt anything, but it's an easy fix either way.

I have a DPMS lower/RRA upper in 6.8 and I built a CMMG for my son. I haven't shot my sons yet but my brother built an M4 using the same kit and CMMG lower, which we have shot.
With going from just a lower and throwing a kit into them both companies are good. They worked well with uppers taht weren't "matched" to them. The fit and finish on the lowers we have are like the RRA's I have.
You shouldn't have a problem with either make. And for under a grand I would definitely go with the Gas Piston setup.

Here's what I find funny,,,

If you built all 3 rifles to the same specs. how could one be better than the other???

I had a M4 that was a true bastard of a gun,the upper was a Mega Machine the lower essential arms,barrel Saber defense,trigger group Rock River,BCG I don't no who made it and the rifle ran like a bat out of hell.

There's only a hand full of Companys that build their own rifles in house and they still contract some of their parts out.

Now days you can have guys working out of their bathroom and have some receiver building company stamp their name on the side off the lower.....Its all about parts selection,but is it when you have no clue where most of the parts come from.

It would be hard to go wrong with one of the CMMG bargain bin rifles. I have seen several of the rifles purchased by friends and all have been quality. I dont think you can do better than $600 for a built rifle. At that price you can make alot of upgrades and be even with the other guns. That being said I have a Rock River, the upper to lower fit is tighter than any other I have handled.

I have had bad experiences with CMMG, and have seen many reported at m4carbine.net. I see no reason to do business there when you can readily buy BCMs for marginally more cash. Stag is O.K. if you like 1:9 twist, but the better comparison there would be S&W. Seriously, there are so many good choices right now. Check out Daniel Defense.

Please let me know where I can get a CMMG for $600.00....that is a great deal....

Braco Company or CMMG....

When I built these three, the 2 CMMG's were built with CMMG kits. The DPMS lower was built using a DPMS LPK. 3 guns, 2 identical, not all three. So therefore, the DPMS could be better then the CMMG's, or vice versa.
But you are right about where they get their parts. They are all "Mil Spec" so the could have came from the same source.
My point was that either of the two is a decent way to go.