• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thoughts on first chronograph

fyaman43

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2020
SLC, UT
So I'm new to hand loading and looking at my first chronograph purchase.

Is it 'worth' going the Magnetospeed route or going with another more standard chronograph setup for 1/3 the price? I definitely understand the buy once/cry once thing and can see the great benefit of a Magnetospeed setup (seems much more streamlined equipment-wise).

Any input appreciated.

I started with a Beta Master chrono that was flawless initially when set up properly but then became more and more aggravating.
It would randomly start throwing out velocity numbers in meters per second even though that option wasn't selected.
Then it started flashing an error every time someone on either side of me would fire a shot causing me to have no reading at times for my fired shots.
And then there's the extra effort and time needed to set it up properly on the firing line and hope the sun and clouds cooperate.
I still have it but only for the sole purpose of one day setting it up again and putting a bullet through the fucking thing.
I now have a Magneeto Speed and love it. It's the sporter model but love it and have only used the other for chonographing the speed of my bows and air rifles.

I started with a cardwell. When that one went down I bought another because for the price it was hard to beat. I now just bought a V3 and it’s in the mail. I guess you have to honestly ask yourself “are you in this for the long haul?” I haven’t used the magneto yet but the convenience factor seems hard to beat. And this is coming from a guy who can shoot at his house. If I had to haul a convention chrono to the range I would never use it.

The setup and ability to use at a range and weather/sun issues seem like a pretty clear advantage of the Magnetospeed and just less of a possible junk show, especially being new at it. Then again, knicking the MS bayonet with a round...

The setup and ability to use at a range and weather/sun issues seem like a pretty clear advantage of the Magnetospeed and just less of a possible junk show, especially being new at it. Then again, knicking the MS bayonet with a round...

The set up is far less labor intensive and critical as a conventional photo cell chronograph.
I never go to the range without a cleaning rod, the first couple of times I set mine up I just used the cleaning rod to verify clearance and roll on.

I had a gen 1 that had to be scary close to read. I slid a bullet right down the deck of that one. The gen2 and gen3 bayonets I have used, will read with plenty of air space. They are fairly dummy proof. That is good for me.

I use the M.S. on the rifles and like it a lot. But from time to time want to check mv. On a pistol, don't think my MS will work for that.

Magnetospeed!!

I started out with a shoot-through CED. Great unit but Judas freakin priest with the setup and the sun or not enough sun , and the freakin wind blowing it over and breaking stuff. What a freakin pain in the ass.

Setup with the Magnetospeed is fast simple solid and you can do in freakin hurricane. Ok maybe not a hurricane but windy overcast or super sunny days are no issue.

TIP: Label the spacers and write down your set up. I just used tape w/ letters. Two or three setups will cover most things. Then you just refer back to book for the rifle you are setting up and grab those spacers BOOM. BOB’s your uncle.

Don’t get me wrong, the Magnetospeed is not perfect but it is damn freakin close. Whoever designed that shitty strap system was dropped on their head as a child (or just went to engineering school 😳) And yea there is a poi shift but take my word, working around that is worth the bomber simplicity and freakin awesome ease of setup, consistency & accuracy.

Started with a Caldwell, then moved to a CE optical. Both died during an unfortunate experiment with a 458 socom 🙄 a few years ago.
Currently have a MS V3 and pretty happy with it, but having a few issues with it right now.

Ran a shooting chrony beta master for the better part of a decade. Got the magnetospeed because theres no f’in way I’m bringing a tape measure and a second tripod to the range to set a chrony up and plug in that stupid telephone cable and mess around with sky screens during a safe line only to get back behind the gun when the range goes hot and see that I need to move my tripod over a few feet to get the gun lined up with the target and chrono. Labradar or magnetospeed or both imo, its 2020.

Labradar and be done

This...especially if you have multiple rifles. I had a Magnetospeed and it was great, but taking it to the range and swapping it on rifles between strings got old quickly. With my Labradar I can bring a handful of rifles and pistols to the range and just swap as needed, no fuss.

Reactions: kindabitey
Magneto for the win.

First rule is to get that sucker tight before you tighten the bottom screw.

I actually screw the knob all the way off, then back on 2 turns, then tighten the strap as good as I can and then screw the knob tight. This helps me avoid running out of screw while at the same time not ripping the knob off the threads because it is not on far enough.

A simple longer bolt and a knob that stopped instead of coming off would be dreamy. “Oh, oh, oh but we have to have a nice knob that the bolt does not stick through to look cool” I can hear the design discussion now....

Magnetospeed, Labradar, and Oehlar are the only chronographs worth considering.

If budget minded, get a magneto sporter.

and can see the great benefit of a Magnetospeed setup (seems much more streamlined equipment-wise).
That's not where the main advantage of electromagnetic chronographs lies. Their greater insensitivity to setup variations is where their true advantage is.

Man , the Labrador looks trick but spendy. Can stomach a MS V3 a bit better...

No muzzle attachment's, all natural feel of your weapon no shift in POI...
Turn it on, line it up with target fire away... Fast, accurate and dependable.....

But yes, I understand there pricey, but.. Well worth it in the long run..

Another vote for the LabRadar

Arkco Machine base and a Piet Recoil trigger makes it the best setup possible.

Ive got a v2 magneto speed if you want to give me a token amount and pay for shipping...

Lab Radar is the way to go....

So picked up a used thrice MS V3 for a good price. Pretty psyched, will definitely pick up a pic rail attachment for some of the pistols I’ve got.

but.... could definitely turn into an equipment “rental”if a Labradar presents itself... you know how these things go....

If you’re a prs match shooter then the magneato speed is the way to go if only for zero and velocity check first thing in the morning.
If you’re a bench shooter the LabRadar is the way to go.

Reactions: Holliday
If you’re a prs match shooter then the magneato speed is the way to go if only for zero and velocity check first thing in the morning.
If you’re a bench shooter the LabRadar is the way to go.

that makes sense

I have owned a LabRadar for several years, once you get it figured out it works great. I would recommend an external battery and an add on sight for alignment.

Reactions: Jake the dog
magnetospeed(not the sporter version) works great on all of my rifles. even when testing with the ultra 7..

i started out with a borrowed caldwell. pain to set up, unreliable readings depending on how close you were with getting everything setup. worried id either shoot it or knock it over with the muzzle blast from shooting with a brake. buddy who owned it ended up shooting a hole in it, still worked which was kind of remarkable. found a local deal on a magnetospeed v3 and so far have no complaints. if you shoot at public or ranges with other people being able to set it up from behind the firing line is a huge time saver, plus if you do need to adjust anything youre not getting in the way of someone elses range time. the only other option id even consider would be a labradar which would be nice to shoot bows/pistols over. i would not purchase a caldwell or any other light style chrono - for the money it doesnt make sense to me.

In my opinion I had to figure out if I value my time or not. Being a father of three little kids, happily married, working a full-time job with occasional weekend/night work, managing home maintenance (yard work, projects), caring for two cars my time available to spend in the workshop/shooting range/reloading is limited. Maybe as I get older and my kids require less and I have retired then I will have enough time to not feel rushed to setup a chronograph and fuss with it. I bought a LabRadar. I just set it on my bench and shoot. I can use it without having to wait for a cease fire to go down and setup stuff or breakdown stuff. A magneto speed is different and I had one for a day and returned it because it required being attached to a barrel or hand guard. If on a barrel it effects the harmonics and is a waste of time.

I'm going through this right now. I purchased the bottom of the line Caldwell, under $100. The phone software is simply awesome but the problem is, the chronograph, overall, is extremely sensitive to light AND to battery voltage. If you're out at the range testing for say four hours, the software will drain your phone's battery in half that time unless you run in low power mode. I have a new iPhone 12 which has exceptional battery life and I was down to 20% in low power mode afte said 4 hours.

On the light issue, it MUST be in the shade. I'm in Texas where it's most often sunny. Does not like sun. Since I'm often shooting in the morning or later in the evening, the sun comes in at an angle and the shades don't offer any assistance. I had wild readings all over the place after getting a good setup for it in the shade and it doesn't really like .223 but 308 was consistent and I was able to get good strings of readings on all five shots per test round for several different loads. And again, the software is great. You type in the bullet and any other details you want to and it automatically records each shot until you hit stop, making all he calculations for you. You can then save the data and pull it back up at any time like later when you're at home looking at all the details.

I set mine up on a very beefy tripods I have lying around (former photojournalist) and it's stable as hell. But it's a pain to set up and if you get an ERR reading that won't correct, I have to ask for the range to go cold so I can flip the switch on and off. I honestly hate interrupting anyone else shooting so I want to eliminate that altogether.

So now I'm looking for something more consistent and I believe everyone has brought up the relevant models above.

Cost-wise, for me, I cannot afford the Labradar at this time as cool as it is. I have a lot of other things on my purchase list so I have to compromise.

The MagnetoSpeed V3 looks like my best option from a cost standpoint and it's a bit over actually. On the POI shift, is it consistent? If I go out there with a load to determine speed and groupings, is it workable or is it changing POI shot to shot? I'm assuming I can always dial in the POI later without it on or am I missing something? How's the iOS software? Decent?

I use the M.S. on the rifles and like it a lot. But from time to time want to check mv. On a pistol, don't think my MS will work for that.
Yes it will work on pistols. You need an adapter to mount it.

could not see you going wrong with either unit Lab Radar Chronograph or the magneto speed . good luck and may which or what ever unit you decide to get work well for you .

I saw too many people with too many problems with labradar that had to be sent back for service. I went with the magnetospeed and couldn't be happier.

I saw too many people with too many problems with labradar that had to be sent back for service. I went with the magnetospeed and couldn't be happier.

Really? I’ve had one since they were introduced. Before that, I had a MS. I liked the MS. But I have never seen or heard of anyone having “problems” with the LR that required returning it for “service”. And my shooting group has a dozen or so members with at least 8 of us using the LR.

Can you tell us what the problems were that required “service”?

Had the amazon special Caldwell. Thing sucked balls. Different FPS reading based on where the sun was and different light conditions. Constant error messages and a major PITA to set up. Next time I go to the range I might “accidentally” send a round right threw the center of it.

just got a Labradar. Works with rifles, handguns, rifles, and even my bow. Wanted something that would mess with the POI, wasn’t a pain to move in between guns, etc. we will see how I like the Labradar haven’t had a chance to take it to the range yet

Reactions: Gustav7
magnetospeed is the bare minimum in my mind for those who want to jump in deep.

I have the magnetospeed myself and I constantly eye the labradar.

the point: Select the item you will see benefit from and then get the one bigger/better. You'll never regret it and you'll never think "I wish I had less"

First chrono was the Competition Electronics Prochrono. Works well for both rifle and pistol. I was planning to upgraded to MS for ease of use but my shooting buddy bought one so I just borrow his.

First chrono was the Competition Electronics Prochrono. Works well for both rifle and pistol. I was planning to upgraded to MS for ease of use but my shooting buddy bought one so I just borrow his.

I have the Pro Chrono now and its ok. I stopped using it if theres any sunlight out. I just take to the range where we have a covered section. I couldn't get it to work properly or consistently if the sun is hitting it in any direction. I try to go for full shade...if not an over cast day.

I'll be getting a Labradar as soon as funds will allow