• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thoughts on FN SPR upgrade

Jonesing to shoot

Private
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2019
I’m hoping to get thoughts and further info on upgrades for my old bolt gun. I like the rifle and it shoots well but needs some new life.

Currently I have a FN SPR A1A .308 20” barrel in a McMillan A3 stock w/ cheek riser, and with the 4 round DBM bottom metal.

realistic goal. Retain my sub MOA accuracy but provide a 10 round magazine capacity. I’d like to get into some local comps for fun and LE training value. On a good day I can hold my own but will likely never compete at a National or professional level. I don’t want to spend all of my money but need to Update the system to the point where I won’t regret only doing a few things in a year or two.

Option 1. Get the TBM bottom metal kit for about $400 and then bed job by a decent smith $175-$250

Pro. Cheap and straight forward but will have to find a smith for the work.

Con. I enjoy the stock for the most part but it is not as adjustable as I’d wish it to be and leaves little options to change in the future.

option 2. Install a MDT ESS chassis 1K price tag as basic B chassis.

pro. Updates the system now and leaves room to grow in the future. Chassis system so no bed job headache.

Con. Money. Plus I only have limited experience with chassis and I’m unsure of dropping that kind of money on a unknown system to me.

tell me what you guys think is one worth it over the other? dose anyone else have any ideas. Thanks In advance

By your estimates you are at $575-650 for DBM upgrade/bedding job OR $1000 for chassis.
Is the $350-425 difference worth the added modularity and adjustability to you?

You could go chassis route and then test it out to see how you like it. If it's good you could sell off your McMillan to recoup some of that price difference. If you don't like it you could turn and sell the chassis for a minimal loss.

Would probably be best if you attend those local matches and talk to the shooters some. They may even offer you time behind their rifles, allowing you to get a feel for a chassis.

Reactions: ZG47A
I only have limited experience with chassis and I’m unsure of dropping that kind of money on a unknown system to me.

Don't be. I was skeptical of them too but eventually took the plunge with a KRG chassis. The ergonomics and flexibility over a conventional stock are not a slight difference. They are orders of magnitude better.

Had the Gen 1,,26" barrel,,never should've sold to,,pure tack driver. Gen 1 had an AWESOME barrel
Might be better off ,as you like the stock.
Upgrade to a DBM.
Badger M5 might be an option too.
Give them a call,,think they offer bedding also.
Then you'll have AICS mags.
Or
Get a bedding kit,,dyi,, and learn too.

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat for DBM. I will NOT go chassis on this rifle. I am going to go with the FN kit unless LRI comes out with a m70/fn spr DBM kit in the next 6 months.

If you go with the $1000 chassis option, also consider the fact that your action needs to be milled and opened up to accept AICS mags.

Either way you go, if you want AI style mags out of an SPR/M70 action, it needs to be opened up to work.

**ETA**
I found the thread where some of this was discussed. It has a bit of info which might be useful in your quest...

Last edited:
Troll eBay. I snagged a TBM off there for $65 shipped. No mag or action screws, but it’s the same TBM in the $400 kit. Then you’re at maybe $300 for the TBM, inlet, and bed, less than a third of the chassis.

Or do as suggested above, buy the chassis, try it, sell if you don’t like it. But you’ll have to open it up to run AICS mags, so tack on another hundred or two for that.

So far, I’m enjoying my FN SPR A5M XP, aside from spitting out that ridiculous stream of letters and numbers that make up its name... :ROFLMAO:

I have an FN A3G SPR that I ended up going the DBM route with.

Put up a WTB ad for a CDI DBM and see if anyone is willing to sell theirs. The owner of CDI passed away a year or so ago, so I think that’s going to be hard to find. Doesn’t hurt to ask.

If I couldn’t get a CDI bottom metal, I’d have gone with the MDT chassis. Shit even in hindsight, I still leans towards regretting not just going the MDT route over the DBM. It’s true that your action will need a small bit removed for the mags to work, but don’t let that turn you away from considering the option.

Someone here mentioned LRI possibly doing a DBM for the SPR models so would be worth sending an email for.

My A3G was my first bolt gun and it’s a damn laser. I just wish there were more aftermarket options for it. A friggin option to put in a Trigger Tech Special would be amazing.

Last edited:
I just wish there were more aftermarket options for it. A friggin option to put in a Trigger Tech Special would be amazing.

My only real complaint with the FN is the lack of reasonably priced, rugged/field-grade 2-stage triggers. I far and away prefer a good 2-stage, but the only one I’ve found (CG X-treme) is $300, which is a little steep. I may snag one eventually, but I wish there were more options. Maybe a Geissele SuperFN70 or something? ;)

My only real complaint with the FN is the lack of reasonably priced, rugged/field-grade 2-stage triggers. I far and away prefer a good 2-stage, but the only one I’ve found (CG X-treme) is $300, which is a little steep. I may snag one eventually, but I wish there were more options. Maybe a Geissele SuperFN70 or something? ;)
Dude I’d be down with that lol

It’s an A4 type and there is no length of pull adjustment option but is currently pretty close for a general use/ positional setting for me. I know the new “in” thing is being able to adjust butt pad height and directional cant.

It’s an A4 type and there is no length of pull adjustment option but is currently pretty close for a general use/ positional setting for me. I know the new “in” thing is being able to adjust butt pad height and directional cant.
Your stock should have the spacer system for adjusting the LOP. There’s two bolts in the buttpad that you loosen and allows you to add/remove spacers. You can also hit up McMillan for extra spacers or different pads. As for cheek height, is yours a saddle style with the thumb screws? If so, a little trick to keep it from coming loose is to cut a small shim to drop inside of the saddle stem hole which keeps it from dropping if your screws work loose.

I know the new “in” thing is being able to adjust butt pad height and directional cant.

PRS/precision type shooting is far behind the bullseye rifle sports where those adjustments have been the norm for decades now.

I’m hoping to get thoughts and further info on upgrades for my old bolt gun. I like the rifle and it shoots well but needs some new life.

Currently I have a FN SPR A1A .308 20” barrel in a McMillan A3 stock w/ cheek riser, and with the 4 round DBM bottom metal.

realistic goal. Retain my sub MOA accuracy but provide a 10 round magazine capacity. I’d like to get into some local comps for fun and LE training value. On a good day I can hold my own but will likely never compete at a National or professional level. I don’t want to spend all of my money but need to Update the system to the point where I won’t regret only doing a few things in a year or two.

Option 1. Get the TBM bottom metal kit for about $400 and then bed job by a decent smith $175-$250

Pro. Cheap and straight forward but will have to find a smith for the work.

Con. I enjoy the stock for the most part but it is not as adjustable as I’d wish it to be and leaves little options to change in the future.

option 2. Install a MDT ESS chassis 1K price tag as basic B chassis.

pro. Updates the system now and leaves room to grow in the future. Chassis system so no bed job headache.

Con. Money. Plus I only have limited experience with chassis and I’m unsure of dropping that kind of money on a unknown system to me.

tell me what you guys think is one worth it over the other? dose anyone else have any ideas. Thanks In advance

Check this out:

Reactions: M8541Reaper
I put the FN TBM Kit on my FNSPR and have no regrets. Mags are good and the rifle functions flawlessly. Mr. Ducos and LRI can put a cheek piece on your McMillan stock. Search here on SH to find more info.

And have a look at LRI, they can work on FN/Win actions. Check this out for an example of their abilities:

All boils down to if you want to take the chassis plunge or stick with traditional stock.

I recently upgraded my fathers FN SPR A4 with hinged floor plate to an A5 with TBM. The entire kit from Midwest Gunworks was 699 with two mags. Did the bedding job myself (way easier than anticipated) and it came out great. I would have had 750 easy just into the TBM and inletting alone. Not to mention your current stock is worth some coin on the back end of the project.

30451445-EDF5-4453-834A-68F76F72E5E7.jpeg

7DA8FD61-03FC-41F8-9B83-F186B333A321.jpeg
175DC06F-B968-4677-87BC-671120ABAA93.jpeg
783890EC-B785-46C7-ACE4-3ABC2A69FA4D.jpeg