Rifle Scopes  Thoughts on my Leupold CQBSS 1.1-8x with H27D reticle

Shooter0311

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2013
As the title says; I got my CQBSS and have one trip to the range, mainly to get it zeroed and briefly see if the BDC turret was tracking at 300. I have to say that I am very pleased with the clarity and the construction of this thing. It's a little tank. I was able to take a few quick snap shots at steel about 30-35 yds and can see where the Illuminated reticle can help to make fast shots at 1.1x. It will take me some training to get used to it and even then, I will run a docter on a 45 mount.

It was an expensive purchase but I am happy with it. I compared it brifely to a Bushnell HDMR with tremor2 reticle and an Elcan to try and gauge clarity. We were able to see no real difference but my pal had a Leupold mk4 6.5-20 and we both felt the clarity wasn't the same with his. (His mk4 is a 30mm. The cqbss and HDMR are 34mm)

I was also extremely impressed with the mount I got from alamo 4 star (dloc-m4x-34mm). I have been a Larue fan and still am but alamo will be my new go to for anything that I may want to run on more than 1 rifle at any time.

Hope this helps someone.

mdesign

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2004
Nebraska
Interesting, got any pics of your setup? I have a CQBR that needs an optic but been looking at a Micro T1 red dot.

Shooter0311

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2013
I can take an iphone pic easy. It's figuring out how to post it. I haven't looked at how to do it. I am a HUGE fan of the T1 for GP use. That little thing is almost indestructible, light and fast. Let me look at how to post pics and I will try to put some up.

I have also heard good things from guys I trust about the TRS25 as It's several hundred less than the T1. I have not used a TRS25 though.

Shooter0311

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2013
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

mdesign, I hope these come through, first try. The iphone pic of 8x reticle is not so hot as it is out my window and I am not going to be accused of good photography.

gehrm

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2005
Hi, thanks for posting. When you wrote that the clarity of your friend's Leupold Mark 4 was not the same as the CQBSS, did you mean that the CQBSS was better or worse in terms of clarity?

Shooter0311

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2013
Sorry about that. I should have been a little more clear... Edge to edge clarity with ideal sight picture was definitely more clear on the MK8, Elcan and HDMR. The MK4 is about 5 years old and had some heavy use but no abuse. Seems optics have really advanced in that time but the MK8 is definitely a lot more $$. It's tough to compare them against each other, but that's what we had on hand.

As far as what is the clearest, best picture; there were 3 shooters and all agreed on this. I really like the MK8.