• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Thoughts on poss. selling Vortex Gen 2 4.5-27 for Cronus BTR 4.5-29 & XLR Element chassis

Thanks, and looking forward to hearing your thoughts about the Cronus & how it performed.
Well, I think that I sold a couple of Cronuses (Cronii?) to some of my prairie dog buddies. It wasn't my intent, but one of them was curious about the scope and looked through it... then encouraged others to do the same. All were impressed.

As for my usage of the optic when shooting 'dogs, I couldn't have asked for anything more. The glass worked, the reticle was great, and the tracking did what it needed to do (the most I dialed was about 3.5 mils, which matched what I was seeing in the reticle). I gotta say that it's certainly a great match for that type of shooting (insert usual caveat, re: sample size of one, etc...). I'm planning on continuing to use it indefinitely.

Reactions: BroncoMustang
This mulie buck hated my Cronus BTR... Me, I’m quite happy with it. I’m also happy with my Gen2 Razor too. Both great scopes that track true, have good glass, and great warranties/CS if you do have to deal with them.

Attachments

• 85381298-9B0E-4724-A51C-F0F4446B6724.jpeg
    85381298-9B0E-4724-A51C-F0F4446B6724.jpeg
    467.4 KB · Views: 26
This mulie buck hated my Cronus BTR... Me, I’m quite happy with it. I’m also happy with my Gen2 Razor too. Both great scopes that track true, have good glass, and great warranties/CS if you do have to deal with them.
How far would you estimate that you have shot the BTR and the Gen 2?

How far would you estimate that you have shot the BTR and the Gen 2?

The farthest I’ve shot both is out to 1030 yds (the farthest distance my range has steel at). For hunting/shots on game, farthest shot so far was actually that buck last season with the Cronus BTR. It was 440 yds, shooting uphill, in crazy WY winds...(25mph sustained winds with gusts to 35mph+).

That Cabela's one was a closeout on the original Cronus, not the BTR. Turrets and reticle were slightly different than the current BTR version.

Hit up AthlonOpticsGuy on here, he will hook you up on the current best price.

I don’t think it’s a fair comparison to lump in fans of a fairly low tier optic made in the phillipines with fans of a flagship optic made in Japan. Pretty sure people who either decide to spend the cash or have the cash for the Gen II aren’t really interested in the PST line.
Yeah, but his point was internet forums are full of group think, this one included. And the internet did think the Vortex PST was the best thing since sliced bread for a long time.

Do research and use this forum as a resource, but starting a this vs that thread mostly just gets you random opinions, which are like assholes... We all got em.

Reactions: USMC 308
I owned a 4.5-27x56 Gen 2 Razor and a 4.5-29x56 Cronus (non BTR) in the past. I sold the Cronus to fund a second Minox ZP5, not because there was anything wrong with it. I did a 15 mil tracking test and it returned 1% error.
The glass was a wash, in my experience they're both excellent optically.
The turret detents are more distinct on the Gen 2, and the font on the mil turret is small enough on the Cronus that I have difficulty reading it from a cheek weld.
I like the Cronus APLR mil reticle, less so the BTR... IIRC they removed some of the .2 mil hashes in the BTR.
I bought another Cronus on closeout from Cabelas for my .223AI. The first was a good deal at around $1550, the second even better at $1060.
The Cronus is around 3/4 lb. lighter than the Gen 2, if that matters to you.

YMMV

I owned a 4.5-27x56 Gen 2 Razor and a 4.5-29x56 Cronus (non BTR) in the past. I sold the Cronus to fund a second Minox ZP5, not because there was anything wrong with it. I did a 15 mil tracking test and it returned 1% error.
The glass was a wash, in my experience they're both excellent optically.
The turret detents are more distinct on the Gen 2, and the font on the mil turret is small enough on the Cronus that I have difficulty reading it from a cheek weld.
I like the Cronus APLR mil reticle, less so the BTR... IIRC they removed some of the .2 mil hashes in the BTR.
I bought another Cronus on closeout from Cabelas for my .223AI. The first was a good deal at around $1550, the second even better at $1060.
The Cronus is around 3/4 lb. lighter than the Gen 2, if that matters to you.

YMMV
Thank you for the information; I appreciate it!

What is the current "good" price on a Cronus? I should of bought one of those $900 ones that Cabelas had awhile back.

@poke_53 got me my Ares for a great price and intervened with Athlon for me when I had a warranty issue and they didn't want to issue me a call tag to send it in.