• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thoughts on pricing used custom rifles?

teddy12b

Private
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2008
I'm trying to get my head around pricing a used custom rifle. I've bought and sold plenty of guns before, but never a custom rifle. Part of me wonders if it's even worth going through the process of selling something custom as a whole, or if there's some way to part it out. I just don't know what the odds are that someone is going to want to buy a custom rifle exactly the way I did when I ordered it years ago when they could build their own just the way they want it today.

My other concern with selling a custom rifle is it'll likely be online so I'm going to have to find a local FFL to ship to someone elses FFL. I just sold a rifle last night that I had listed online, but the guy was close enough that we drove and met up.

My other concern is I don't want to put a dumb price on the gun. When I bought it 5 years ago it was XYZ dollars, and to buy it again today would be XYZ plus almost $1,500. When I put a price on something I do it to sell it, not just to list it. The round count on the gun is somewhere around 1,000 rounds and it's been used in competitions, but otherwise has been very well cared for. I just don't want to be the dumb guy asking $700 for a used glock, or likewise the guy who sells a glock with one box through it $200.

Thoughts?

Well maybe you should give us details on what the “custom” gun is and what’s an all going with it.

It all depends. Custom bolt guns go for this or that, custom glocks don’t sell for nearly what they cost.

Reactions: teddy12b
Look through the px here. Chances are similar guns or at least pieces you used on your build have sold here before.

Depending on the caliber the barrel could be in great condition or nearing the end of its life. If I was buying a custom gun in a barrel burning caliber I’d buy it assuming I’ll be replacing that. So factor the cost into it.

You can decide a cost for complete rifle or just rip it down and part it out

Just make sure you get a supporter status upgrade if you post on here

It’s like selling custom anything, if someone sees it that doesn’t build their own and likes the parts you might get what you want, but more likely it cuts out allot of buyers. If it were me I would price it for what you want to start and see if luck strikes and someone sees it and it’s exactly what they want, if it doesn’t work out lower until your at the price you will accept. For the most part the more exotic the adds the less the return.

the PX likely has the same parts for sale. so check there for reference

and don't be afraid to part it out

It is worth what you could sell the used parts for. No one knows if the barrel is shot out, if you have cleaned it improperly, etc. Basically, price it like used tires. No savvy buyer will pay anywhere near new price because they could just buy a new one set up like they wanted.

If you tell us what it is (without being a sale ad) we can help you with prices or chances of selling

IMHO, a CNC r700 footprint gun is not a custom. Industry needs to get away from this usage.

They do this to increase sale as new, but it decreases sales value on the secondary market.

Interchangeable parts guns...IMHO are likely worth full value as an interchangeable part.

If you list it whole, then just be prepared for people to ask you for prices for specific parts.

Then either be prepared to part it out, or wait. I see a lot things get listed as a whole, and as long as the total price is decent, it get's picked apart and picked clean pretty quickly by people looking for specific items.

Chances are it will sit for a while if you keep it whole, unless it's a killer price.

Lots of variables like;
Who built it
What parts
What caliber, 1000 round count on a 308 is way different value than 1000 round count on a 6 cm.
Easy way to figure it is value the individual parts in a used market then add it up. If built by a very well known smith then add $500-600. If built by an unknown smith then its worth what the components that were used for it.
Used rifle market is really tuff these days.

Thanks for all the great advice. I definitely picked up some good information and I appreciate it.

The rifle is a GA Precision Crusader in 6.5 cm where the only thing I really spec'd out was having the barrel at 20" and fitted with the muzzle device for an SDN-6. The overwhelming majority of the ammo shot through it has been Hornady 140gr ELD match. Beyond that I don't think I made any wild requests on the rifle setup.

Thanks for all the great advice. I definitely picked up some good information and I appreciate it.

The rifle is a GA Precision Crusader in 6.5 cm where the only thing I really spec'd out was having the barrel at 20" and fitted with the muzzle device for an SDN-6. The overwhelming majority of the ammo shot through it has been Hornady 140gr ELD match. Beyond that I don't think I made any wild requests on the rifle setup.
Just looking through some past sales it’s probably around $2700. (But you should definitely look around here and other sights to get an idea of what they sell for based on your exact setup and parts)

Personally being a GAP built rifle I would sell it as a complete rifle

IMHO, a CNC r700 footprint gun is not a custom. Industry needs to get away from this usage.

They do this to increase sale as new, but it decreases sales value on the secondary market.

Interchangeable parts guns...IMHO are likely worth full value as an interchangeable part.
Guess I’ll just throw my Tacops and m40s away 😕

If you really want it gone: IMHO
Price a new rifle today less any extras like a muzzle brake, barrel fluting, etc., take 50% of that value, add $5-600 because it is a well known builder and they are 8 months out right now.

Then, search the internet to verify your price as best you can and adjust up or down slightly, but don't make a large adjustment. See if that is a price you can live with, if not put it back in the safe.

I would not part that rifle out as it should be worth more as a whole. The short barrel is the tough part as I would think most people are going to be expecting a 24-26" barrel on it since it is a 6.5C. (might be wrong about that)

Agree with the above for the OP's gun specifically:

That's not "custom" but just configured /a bit/ uniquely. If you didn't tell anyone it was uniquely specified, they'd just wonder when that was a cataloged gun.

Made at GAP, I'd 1000% not part it out. Much of the value is that a shop with a good reputation put it together. And as stated: busy place, so if not a premium for buy-it-now, at least not nearly the markdown for used/unknown as boring factory guns much less things you wrenched on personally.

I would not part that rifle out as it should be worth more as a whole. The short barrel is the tough part as I would think most people are going to be expecting a 24-26" barrel on it since it is a 6.5C. (might be wrong about that)
I had concerns on the barrel length not being popular too. That was one of my personal choices because I wanted to run it with a can.

Reactions: AllenOne1
Being 20" will limit some, but others might prefer it as well. I have a 20" CM for hunting and it makes for a nice size when you add the can to it. I would think that any shorter then 20" and your really going to be limiting the market base.

One reccomdation is to get a cheap bore scope and take pictures of the throat area. If it's in good shape it'll add to your asking price.

I had concerns on the barrel length not being popular too. That was one of my personal choices because I wanted to run it with a can.
One word of advice here, to maximize value, is market the rifle to the guys who would benefit to 20in barrels.