• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Thoughts on RMR location for AR10 / SCAR 17

TangoSierra916

God, Family, Country
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 11, 2017
    Midwest USA
    for those of you who are running a SR25 / LMT MWS / SCAR 17 or something similar in 7.62 in a 1-500m usage and using a RMR or red dot back up sight where are you mounting it and how do you like it when using it?

35/45 degree offset or at 12 o'clock?

Im working on a SCAR 17 and will be going with a 1-8 atacr and am debating a 35 degree offset or a 12 o'clock mounting location.

any pics or thoughts would be helpful, thanks

Are you using it for passive shooting with night vision? If so, 12 o'clock is the better position, since it gets the line of sight out of the gas from the ejection port, and sets it at more or less the right height for your NODs. The 45-degree position is more for close quarters shooting. Since you're running an LPVO, maybe this is actually the capability you had in mind.

The 12 o'clock position also makes a handy quick alignment device for longer ranges - put the dot in the vicinity of the target, and then drop down to your scope for the final alignment. If you shoot very long range at night, so far away that it's hard to track down the steel, you can use a similar technique by putting a little IR beacon near the target, and then lining up the red dot with the beacon through your NODs.

For the 1-8 ATACR in particular, there aren't that many 34mm mounts for the RMR that allow for a 12 o'clock mount. The Larue LT788-2 and the RMR adapter for Spuhr mounts are the only ones I'm aware of which are currently on the market, though Reptilia is supposed to be coming out with one sometime this year.

I like 12 o'clock, that's what I use on my ACOGs. For me it's faster than offset, more intuitive, it's less likely to snag, likely lighter, and as nutation points out, has peripheral uses that a offset doesn't provide.

Nightforce unimount with multimount ring cap. Badger, repilia, hawkins, MPA, spuhr, plenty of options for a 12 o'clock pic rail mounted red dot.

I’m pretty sure I have a Spuhr mount in my safe that I was going to use for my ATACR 7-35 that I’d be willing to part with since I’m thinking about going with a Badger Ordnance one on my AR10 project.

For my setups usage determines location.

I usually index from the target onto the scope so a RDS at 12 O’Clock does me no good.

On my DMR/SPR I run a 45 degree offset as if you are at higher magnification and have a target closer that you have to engage quickly it’s easier to switch to the 45 degree offset for me. With the 12 O’Clock you would have to break cheek weld.

Just my 2 cents from shooting DMR/SPR matches. YMMV

Reactions: Sixfivesavage