• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thoughts on ruger sr22?

Bridges90

Private
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2017
Ashland, KY
I was looking into 22 pistols for general cheap plinking and I think I’ve settled on the sr22. I’ve looked at the Walther which is pretty much what ruger copied for the sr22 but I haven’t had a chance to really scout out much on the 22/45s/mark series. I feel like comparing the sr22 to a target pistol is like comparing apples and oranges but I wanted to get your all’s opinions on the two. How is reliability for both guns? Accuracy? I know the sr22 is supposedly easier to take down than the mark series.

A few years ago I was looking at the SR22. Any cycling issues are already solved and there is a long history of the fixes. I would get the SR22 without worrying about issues.

Trigger on the SR22 sucks.
The Mk IV is upgradeable and is available in some variants with 1/2 x 28 threaded barrels. Takedown now consists of pushing one button.

Never had a SR22, but have had several MkII’s and a III. I loved every one. Accuracy is phenomenal for the price, and this is coming from someone with a SW41. Never had a reliability issue with any round of any make and I’ve put everything thru them including golden bullets.
If you go with a MKIV, there are no more cleaning problems. Super easy!
My favorite model 22 and would recommend them to anyone.

Reactions: 260284
I owned the Sig Mosquito, then Walther P22, then Ruger SR22 and then Walther PPQ22. No comparison other than the 1st 3 are crap and the Walther PPQ22 is an actual reliable and accurate pistol.

I owned the Sig Mosquito, then Walther P22, then Ruger SR22 and then Walther PPQ22. No comparison other than the 1st 3 are crap and the Walther PPQ22 is an actual reliable and accurate pistol.

I didn't know they have a PPQ22...will need to look into this. I have a couple of PPQ M2

Knowing the platform, I would go with the PPQ too!

What is the difference in the p22 and the ppq22?

Edit: after some research into the ppq22 I might have to step back and rethink. Not a huge fan of the internal hammer but the trigger seems to be much better than the sr22. Ergonomics looks great

Last edited:
Go to youtube, good videos there giving details. This is by far the superior pistol in every way.

If you live in a state with 10 round mag requirements, the PPQ 22 is out. They don't sell it with a 10 round mag

Eh I live in wv. We apparently give no fucks about gun laws lol. It was very blatant when I went to get my ccw permit.

The PPQ22 is one that I have considered a few times. It definitely looks promising.

Just picked up a Ruger SR22 for my daughter to shoot. Nice pistol breaks down and cleans up quickly. The dealer I bought it from suggested running 22LR high velocity rounds through it runs better. Had no problems highly recommend it.

Both the sr22 and the ppq have positive reviews and people say they eat anything. Only con I’ve heard about the sr22 is the trigger on several reviews. People say it’s not terrible but could be better. I think both would be great. Think I’m gonna go ppq simply because I’ve never had a Walther before. Have a few ruger handguns and they all function perfectly.

The only time I shot an SR22, it was suppressed with Quiets and it wouldn’t cycle. I’m pretty sure they were Quiets and not just subsonics. I did like the feel in the hand, but don’t have much else to offer. It was really only a trip to see how quiet a 22 can be.

Both the sr22 and the ppq have positive reviews and people say they eat anything. Only con I’ve heard about the sr22 is the trigger on several reviews. People say it’s not terrible but could be better. I think both would be great. Think I’m gonna go ppq simply because I’ve never had a Walther before. Have a few ruger handguns and they all function perfectly.
Thanks for the reply let us know how ppq is

I have an SR22 and enjoy shooting it. I bought it because it fits my kids small hands, handles like with similar controls to a normal defensive pistol and partly ambi with is a plus for one of my sons. Accuracy is likely far better than I can hold it... The only ammo problem I can remember was due to some bad Fed automatch.

I've had two issues with it. Right out of the box the mag safety (hate those) was messed up and wouldn't reliably fire. Ruger fixed that. When I sent it in, I mentioned to Ruger that the trigger was gritty and the red paint indicating "fire" looked bad on one side. They replaced the frame and did something to the trigger, don't remember what, but it feels a lot better now.

The mag release button is starting to stick. This happened twice yesterday and once before. I don't know if I'm too rough on pressing the release, but even if I am it still shouldn't stick.

It's not a MkII Target, but wasn't designed to be. When I got it several years ago it seemed to be the best of what was available at that time. Despite the couple of issues, I don't regret the purchase.

Reactions: Bridges90
I have an SR22 and enjoy shooting it. I bought it because it fits my kids small hands, handles like with similar controls to a normal defensive pistol and partly ambi with is a plus for one of my sons. Accuracy is likely far better than I can hold it... The only ammo problem I can remember was due to some bad Fed automatch.

I've had two issues with it. Right out of the box the mag safety (hate those) was messed up and wouldn't reliably fire. Ruger fixed that. When I sent it in, I mentioned to Ruger that the trigger was gritty and the red paint indicating "fire" looked bad on one side. They replaced the frame and did something to the trigger, don't remember what, but it feels a lot better now.

The mag release button is starting to stick. This happened twice yesterday and once before. I don't know if I'm too rough on pressing the release, but even if I am it still shouldn't stick.

It's not a MkII Target, but wasn't designed to be. When I got it several years ago it seemed to be the best of what was available at that time. Despite the couple of issues, I don't regret the purchase.
Thanks for the reply. Picked up the sr22 like i said for my daughter's. Started them on the ruger 10/22 . Time to learn pistol.

I have used my SR22 for a couple years now. I have more failures to eject with it than anything. I use it to run my trapline, at least I did. I went back to the ol 10/22. It is an accurate little handgun though. I wish I had looked into the Walther or got a Ruger target model instead now. The trigger on it is just shy of shit.

I have used my SR22 for a couple years now. I have more failures to eject with it than anything. I use it to run my trapline, at least I did. I went back to the ol 10/22. It is an accurate little handgun though. I wish I had looked into the Walther or got a Ruger target model instead now. The trigger on it is just shy of shit.

Did you try different brands of ammo? The dealer that sold it to me said to use high velocity only. I only have a few down the pipe but no problems yet.

Actually took the ppq 22lr outta layaway jail today. I bought it in Kentucky so it’s gotta be transferred to a dealer here in wv. I’ll post a range report this weekend. ☺️

I've had an SR22 now for a couple years and have have fired nearly 1000 rounds through it of a great variety of LR ammo. Two years ago I tested 32 different rounds from sub-sonic to hyper velocities of the various brands one would typically find at sporting goods stores and gun stores. I chronoed this gun along with 5 other guns of various barrel lengths to see the differences and how the ammo performed. All but one gun were Rugers. The SR22 fired everything really well, but the ammo that did the worst was all of the various Remington LR rounds (e.g. Goldern Bullet) that not only had problems with FTE but also FTF and plenty of SPs . . . not to mention really poor consistency with high SD's. I fired Yellow Jackets, Stinger's, Velociters, Interceptors and Winchester's Hyper Speed's. The SR22 did well with all of these and had no malfunctions of any kind with these high velocity rounds. Other than those, I found the CCI Mini-Mags HP performed very well and is what I typically like to fire is this gun and there's good velocity and I find great consistency with it out of my SR22.

BTW, I actually bought this gun for my wife as I've tend to like shooting my MKIII Target since the grip on the SR22 is a little small for my hands. But my SR22 is fun to shoot, it's reliable and a breeze to clean (especially compared to a Mark III ;-) ).

Last edited:
I've had an SR22 now for a couple years and have have fired nearly 1000 rounds through it of a great variety of LR ammo. Two years ago I tested 32 different rounds from sub-sonic to hyper velocities of the various brands one would typically find at sporting goods stores and gun stores. I chronoed this gun along with 5 other guns of various barrel lengths to see the differences and how the ammo performed. All but one gun were Rugers. The SR22 fired everything really well, but the ammo that did the worst was all of the various Remington LR rounds (e.g. Goldern Bullet) that not only had problems with FTE but also FTF and plenty of ST . . . not to mention really poor consistency with high SD's. I fired Yellow Jackets, Stinger's, Velociters, Interceptors and Winchester's Hyper Speed's. The SR22 did well with all of these and had no malfunctions of any kind with these high velocity rounds. Other than those, I found the CCI Mini-Mags HP performed very well and is what I typically like to fire is this gun and there's good velocity and I find great consistency with it out of my SR22.

BTW, I actually bought this gun for my wife as I've tend to like shooting my MKIII Target since the grip on the SR22 is a little small for my hands. But my SR22 is fun to shoot, it's reliable and a breeze to clean (especially compared to a Mark III ;-) ).

straightshooter1 : Nice write up on performance and what ammo to use. Your right very easy to clean up. Looking forward to some trigger time with the SR22. Thanks

My journey through the world of 22 pistols occurred initially trying to find a reliable pistol but then move into a search for one that I could use to teach new shower and then be able to transition them into a larger caliber without needing to re-teach basics again. All of the other pistols I mentioned had safeties that were either difficult to use or required 2 hands to cycle. The PPQ has the same or similar egos to my Glocks and Springfield XDM pistols.

The PPQ functions and fires in every way just like my standard defensive pistols. I usually just explain that a 9mm has a louder sound and slightly stronger recoil to the newer shooter and they pick up right where they leave off with the 22lr pistol within a few rounds. That is what became my motivation over time. The fact that it is constructed out of better materials, functions reliably and shots more accurately with the longer sight radius is just all a happy plus.

I picked up one when they first were released a couple of years ago. I want one of the new ones now like the longer barreled one. love it, great gun, my life love to shoot it.

I wish i did a little home work before i bought it . Would have liked to have bought the longer barrel model. I shot the standard model at my club and liked it so bought it. Suppose it's better for my kids shooting standard sr22.

Have had my long barrel SR22 for about 500 rounds. The first ammo tried was CCI Mini Mag Hp's. They shoot so good with no hiccups that's all I've ever used. It's perfect for carry around the family farm for coons, skunks and stray cats.

I like the DA/SA trigger system. Safe to carry with the hammer down on a loaded round, pull, flick the safety, fire away. It will make a great trainer for the kids/grandkids.

Think I'll clean it tonight.

Have had my long barrel SR22 for about 500 rounds. The first ammo tried was CCI Mini Mag Hp's. They shoot so good with no hiccups that's all I've ever used. It's perfect for carry around the family farm for coons, skunks and stray cats.

I like the DA/SA trigger system. Safe to carry with the hammer down on a loaded round, pull, flick the safety, fire away. It will make a great trainer for the kids/grandkids.

Think I'll clean it tonight.

SR22 does seem like it would be great for critters. I don't think I would mess with the skunks though. LOL

That trigger system where there's some safety with a loaded round with hammer down is one of the key features why I got this gun for my wife.

Might end up getting the sr22 down the road. The girlfriend will probably “need” a nice brand new 22 handgun soon, so I’ll buy one for “her”

Between me and family we've had 3 of them. One had a bad mag that wouldn't activate the mag safety, but otherwise they were pretty flawless. Fed and cycled a wide variety of ammo. Very accurate, and the adjustable sights worked really well.

Very nice thats one way to do it. What state you from you said you had a farm

The second worst trigger I have ever felt in a handgun, second only to a S&W sigma. It really is a shame because it is a neat little pistol otherwise.

Range visit with the ppq22 went very well. I did not have a chance to clean the gun before shooting as I picked it up from my ffl and went straight to the range. Only 1 quirk I noticed and it might be a break in thing or possibly a dirty magazine with all the oil and shit they bathe the gun in before shipping. The quirk was when the magazine was loaded fully with 12 rounds, the first round always failed to eject properly. After that was cleared the rest of the magazine shot perfect. Was shooting some cheap Winchester white box. Accuracy was impressive at 25 yards. Couldn’t take it back any further due to it being an indoor range.

Clean it and lube properly and it will run flawless. The crud the factory puts on them is for storage to stop potential rust. It is about like melting wax into the gun. Clean and lube and you will be amazed at how smooth that pistol will run.

I own one and I want another one. They just came out with one with a longer non threaded barrel (4.5 vs 3.8). Its a blast to shoot and my wife loves it. I've had zero problems with it. Trigger is lovely, and the fit and feel is awesome. If 22lr was more reliable, this gun would be my every day carry, i like it that much.

How much better is the PPQ22 vs the P22? Didn't they just change the lower to be more ergonomic?

How much better is the PPQ22 vs the P22? Didn't they just change the lower to be more ergonomic?

No, it is a complete new pistol. It is the 22lr version of their full size pistol in 9mm and 40SW. The original intent was as a lower cost trainer for their full size pistols. This is a real pistol and not a 22 plinker. Reliable and accurate with most brands of ammo. Mine is flawless with several brands and is the Tactical model with 12 round magazines . Suppressed is very nice.

Here some good info...

Walther info...

Last edited: