• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thoughts on running a compact/short-barreled bolt action rifle? (Remington action .300 blackout 10.5in)

BGoodwin

Private
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2017
Anyone else have a short barrel/compact bolt gun? The Sig Tread and Q Fix really have popularized the concept in the last year or two but I've found it to be an interesting set up for years before those guns came out; and to be honest I'm really not that interested in the Tread or Fix. I built a 9in .300 blackout 3 or 4 years ago using the Black Collar Arms Chassis right after they began selling the chassis but before they began selling full guns. I used a factory Remington .short action and .223 bolt and had it blueprinted and trued by my local shop. Barrel is a KAK Industries 10.5in 1:7 5r 'heavy profile' barrel and the trigger is Timney Calvin Elite set to 8oz.

I'm currently looking for a new optic for it. I started off running a Sig Tango4 LPVO with the .300 blackout BDC but I really just didn’t like the scope. IMO, the reticle stadia was too thick but somehow the center dot was too small. I was also not impressed with the turrets, material/quality, or the illumination (not that I really cared much about illumination). I currently have my NX8 F1 off my Mk18 on it but I’m going to move it back and get something for it. Yes this mount is excessively high for this setup; yes you get a chin weld. I like the idea of a .300 BDC but other than the ACOG, VCOG, Primary Arms, and Sig scopes Im not sure what else there is. I'll probably end up getting something like a 3-9/2-10 scope with a mil reticle.

Anyone else running something like this? Anyone else build something and not running the Tread or Fix?

IMG_5236.jpg

Love it. Very nice build. Was going to build one - but - I've been looking at the Christensen Arms .300 BO pistol to add a brace similar to yours while waiting for a Form 1 stamp. Can't decide whether it's cheaper to buy or to build. First world problems. ;)

I run a 12.5” 300BLK defiance anTI on a MPA ultra lite chassis.
Depending on the season I use a S&B ultra klassik 3-12x42 p3l with exposed mil turrets or a VX6HD 1-6 with the mil turrets.
Very light and compact. Used for deers, coyotes and even did a turkey at 170 yards with a hand loaded 208 amax sub (were actually allowed centerfire for turkey here) last fall.
Honestly a NX8 would be perfect for that kind of setup. I’ve never felt that the 6x at the top on on my VX6HD was a limiting factor for hitting anything inside of 250 yards.
SWFA 3-9 would also be a good option if you don’t mind the lack of illum
Otherwise a NXS 2.5-10 is also a decent pick if you can find a deal on a used one.