• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Thoughts on Savage 111

JAW91

Private
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2012
I was thinking about going with this model in the 30-06. I was wondering you guys thoughts on it though before I considered it to be the one I want.

I've got the 111 longrange hunter in 6.5x284 and it will shoot 1/2 moa. Good shooting gun for the price but sure is ugly. I use it for hunting only and have been pleased. I topped it with nightforce nxs.

I really like what I've read and seen from it so far. How accurate has it been for you so far out of the box? I also was wondering if they make muzzle brakes for it and a recoil pad. I tried Googling it but came up empty. Is that something I'm going to have to get custom made? Another thing, what do you guys think about Savage's Accu trigger? I've heard good and bad.

Last edited:
I really like what I've read and seen from it so far. How accurate has it been for you so far out of the box? I also was wondering if they make muzzle brakes for it and a recoil pad. I tried Googling it but came up empty. Is that something I'm going to have to get custom made? Another thing, what do you guys think about Savage's Accu trigger? I've heard good and bad.
. Mine has brake u can open or close. I keep it closed as recoil is non issue. It has a real soft recoil pad that I like as well. The longrange hunter woul be way to go in my opinion. They make it in the 300 mag. I don't reload, shot factory ammo at 1/2 moa so that's been good for me. I'm shooting the 140 bergers! Hope that helps.

Not sure on the 111, But I recently purchased my first Savage 10 FCP-SR 5R in 308. And out of the box I liked it even more then my Tikka's and After shooting now right at 150 rds with it I am still impressed more and more Screen Shot 2013-10-21 at 10.09.23 PM.jpg
The rusty plate is 200yds and the black and red is 545yds both with factory black hills gold 185 Amax off sand bags prone.
Savage will def be my next buy. i want the model 10 or 111 long range in 300 Win mag

The action on the Savage is really ugly, and they feel a little "loose". They don't have the "bank vault" feel of the 700 rem. Yet, my savage .204 (w/ aftermarket barrel) is the most accurate rifle I've ever shot (.1-.3). Gear snobs might look down on it, but for performance, you really can't go wrong with them.

I just bought one of these in the same caliber (30-06) with the accutrigger and accustock. I have put less than 70 rounds through it so far. Just shot it again today (third time I've had it to the range) and I can safely say it is my most accurate rifle. Shot at 300 yards and put 7 of 10 rounds in the 3" diameter X ring, with the other 3 rounds in the in the 7" diameter 10 ring. Can't ask for much more in a hunting rifle out of the box. It's topped it with a 2-7X Redfield Revolution scope.

I saw that someone on here fixed that with some kind of mold and fiberglass, do you know if there is a write up on the mold he used? It was some kind of filler.

I also have the model 111 hunter with the Accu Trigger. I bedded the factory stock and put a Vortex Diamondback scope on it. Shoots very well and is not too heavy. The bolt feels nice and smooth, and was jeweled from the factory. Can't go wrong with an '06.