• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Thoughts on standard/non-adjustable McMillan A5 stock?

Hadwyn

Private
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
I have a 700 5R with a factory HS Precision stock that I'm looking to replace with either a McMillan or Manners. Would prefer to go the adjustable route (ADJ A5 or A3-5; T4A) but don't have the funds for that right now. I have a chance to pick up a new non-adjustable McMillan A5 for $550 and am wondering if it's worth it. Anyone have any thoughts on this stock (pros/cons)? It comes with aluminum pillars installed. What would I be looking at, cost wise, for an epoxy bedding job from a gunsmith vs doing it on my own? And a bit of a newb question, but would I be able to convert a BDL hinged floor plate stock to accept mags? Thanks

Cdi precision bottom metal fits the factory inlet if I'm not mistaken. Skim bedding is not that difficult to do yourself. If you like the stock, buy it. You can add a saddle cheek piece yourself as well.

I find the cheek weld is fine with a standard A5 and a 25MOA base, though a stock pack would admittedly have allowed a more comfortable/repeatable weld.

I've looked into a couple cheek rest options (namely Karsten and Bradley). Any favorites or ones to stay away from?

For that matter, is it worth the extra cost to have a built-in adjustable cheek rest (ie: adjustable A5 or A3-5?)?

I've looked into a couple cheek rest options (namely Karsten and Bradley). Any favorites or ones to stay away from?

For that matter, is it worth the extra cost to have a built-in adjustable cheek rest (ie: adjustable A5 or A3-5?)?
Yes and no. A triad stock pack with the adjustable straps for height will do pretty much everything you'll need and be decently comfortable and save you some weight. But, getting a kmw cheek piece that has vertical and horizontal adjustments flat out beats it. So, you can do the non adjust with a pad and when you get another couple hundred send it off to stockdoc for kmw hardware and be good to go

I have several rifles in McMillan A5s that do not have adjustable cheekpieces and I recently received my first A5 with the adjustable cheekpiece. I would give the adjustable version the nod simply because it is designed to be moved up/down with a quick turn of the knob. However, I use stock packs on all my rifles (Triad Tactical, Inc. :: Triad Tactical :: All Triad Stock Packs? :: Triad Stock Pack?) and they are easily adjustable with extra velcro strips that can be added to raise the comb/cheekpiece height. Either way, the stock pack comes right off for easy cleaning. I would avoid any type of aftermarket add-on cheekpiece that requires significant meddling to take off/put back on if you use a cleaning rod from the rear (over the stock) as I do. They can make it a pain to clean because they have to be removed to get the cleaning rod in/out of the bore. A removable buttstock cover solves that issue as well as being adjustable for height. So it is not absolutely necessary to have the adjustable stock IMO.

I used an A5 on a build for my wife and it worked out really good. As for cheek weld / scope height, that wasn't an issue for her as I put a stock pack on it. Over all it was a good fit, it sets well on sand bags, does well shooting off hand and I'd wouldn't hesitate to use one again in the future.

Get an adjustable.

Also the $550 price seems to come up common, I would make a hasty decision.

I would also look at Manners if weight is a concern. You can get a lighter fill and absorb the extra weight cost.

I found the cheek pads/stock packs weigh almost as much as the KMW loggerhead on a Manners, and then you're tempted to fill them with ammo and tools making them weigh more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm the opposite of Boiler. I have never had a rifle (with 20 MOA base) that I didn't need to build up the cheek weld area. Maybe I'm just weird…

You're not. I am in the same boat as you. Some facial structures simply have higher cheekbones which places the eye line much lower on the stock.

OP, go ahead and get it. If you later find out that you do need a higher comb on the stock, DO NOT waste your time and money on one of the Karsten saddle cheekpieces. They are too thick and will offset your face to the side leading to all sorts of recoil control problems and unending frustration with accuracy issues due to inconsistent head position on the rifle.

I struggled with a Karsten on a Manners MCS-T for a couple of years and this summer I finally threw it away and converted the Manners to a proper adjustable cheekpiece. It was a lot of work as a DIY project (Stockdoc here on the Hide can do it for you) but I learned a lot and now finally have a rifle that fits me like a glove and tracks straight and true during recoil when I do my part.

Stay away from both and from anything else that works like them

Yes, a million times yes.

If waiting for the right stock is an issue get the non adjustable. Kmw installation is no problem. I know a guy ;-)

If waiting is no problem get with mcmillan or manners and order the adjustable stock. (Better to not need it and have it than the other way around)

If money is an issue kmw hardware will go into an hs stock NO problem

Thanks for the replies, you've all given me some good things to think about. At the end of the day, I decided to go with the McMillan A5 (standard). McMillan had a nice sale on it and since they are here in Phoenix I was able to stop by their shop and pick it up (have it installed now). They're a great bunch, even let me shoulder the others in their selection - that helped seal the deal, both on McMillan and on the A5.

With my scope setup (which I have yet to install) I'm fairly confident I'll need some extra height. Going to try a stock pack for now (likely from Triad Tactical, but still looking into options). If that doesn't do the trick I will pursue the KMW LoggerHead. On that note: stockdoc, what is your offering? What does your service include, and what kind of cost and wait time?

Thanks again, all.