• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thoughts on the 2.8L Duramax?

My 3.0 has done the crank and no start thing on average once every 1000 miles. Second attempt it fires right up. I would imagine it’s just a start up fault that corrects itself automatically once the flywheel goes around.

Reactions: nikonNUT
Would be interesting to see how many hours they bill for the replacement belt. I read up on it a bit, and it seems like a “chicken little” concern to me.

Just make sure you get the 4wd.

Would be interesting to see how many hours they bill for the replacement belt. I read up on it a bit, and it seems like a “chicken little” concern to me.

Just make sure you get the 4wd.
From what I've read it bills at 6 to 8 hours as the transmission has to come off.

there's only one true word in the diesel world "cummins" everything else is a wanna be

No.

I've towed with both. Daily driven both.

The Cummins needs a throttle box to fix the horrid lag they build into them to make it driveabile.

No mileage difference. D-max was lower cost to operate over 400k. Mainly because the stock injectors lasted that long, and all that ever got replaced was a water pump and radiator. Cummins got new injectors 2x, water pump, ac pump, 5 transmissions, factory warranty on the long block (free, but 3k miles short of being $12k), and had lots of wiring harnesses thrown at it for inoperable electronics (remember how the truck is Chrysler).

These were both trucks that got used. Service body's full of stuff and dragging skid steers and mini-ex's around grossing 25k.

I’m getting depressed hearing all these MPG numbers, almost like I’m on democrat underground or a trans site

Know the MPG of my car? I don’t, I drive it with purpose and just fill up when it gets low.

How about dyno numbers and some screaming turbos rolling some fucking coal!

I’m getting depressed hearing all these MPG numbers, almost like I’m on democrat underground or a trans site

Know the MPG of my car? I don’t, I drive it with purpose and just fill up when it gets low.

How about dyno numbers and some screaming turbos rolling some fucking coal!
Fair point but that fuel economy I focus on (Say my bosses Tundra 4x4 versus the 1500 4x4) would pay for an AI in 2 years or a shit ton of ammo. Gotta have my priorities straight! :LOL: Why do you think I drive a Yaris? To get chicks? Nope...To buy cool toys with out dipping into the savings. And yes I can buy whatever I want (and pay cash cuz' I hate car payments!) and feed it. Just don't want to...

Reactions: TurboTrout
Anybody towing with the 3.0? We’re kind of in the market, but REALLY hesitant to go half ton. Mostly done with heavy loads, but regularly make long hauls with a 7k loaded weight trailer.

Fair point but that fuel economy I focus on (Say my bosses Tundra 4x4 versus the 1500 4x4) would pay for an AI in 2 years or a shit ton of ammo. Gotta have my priorities straight! :LOL: Why do you think I drive a Yaris? To get chicks? Nope...To buy cool toys with out dipping into the savings. And yes I can buy whatever I want (and pay cash cuz' I hate car payments!) and feed it. Just don't want to...
Then why are you looking at diesel?? The mpg isn’t even gonna make up the difference in fuel costs, let alone pay for the increased sticker price, and if you want to pay to cut the performance robbing junk out of your trucks DNA while simultaneously voiding your warranty, that would have to come from the MPG as well. Your truck’s gonna need to get about 250 mpg if you’re gonna break even.

I haven't looked recently, but the 3.0 dmax option on the Yukon we ordered was quite a bit LESS expensive than the 6.2 and the 5.3 gasser options.

Yeah, cheaper than the 6.2. Kinda crazy, maybe just the 2 fewer holes in the block.
Screenshot_20211208-122157_Chrome.jpg

Anybody towing with the 3.0? We’re kind of in the market, but REALLY hesitant to go half ton. Mostly done with heavy loads, but regularly make long hauls with a 7k loaded weight trailer.
That truck will pull it. It has the go... PROBLEM comes when you have to stop it. The Whoa is only designed as a half ton truck. If you haul regularly, think big truck- Cummins, 6.6L dura, or cough 6.7L ford. All have their advantages, all have their disadvantages and inherent problems. One disadvantage of a half ton? Lack of safe towing capacity.
See people all the time with an f150, pulling camp trailer with a small atv trailer on behind that. Suspension Air bags, black wheels, etc. See some of the same kinds and size of trucks in the median with empty frames behind jackknifed trailers and garbage and chunks of trailer parts all around and think I wonder if that other f150 guy saw that wrecked truck, it has the same wheels as his...

I pull a 7k trailer all the time with my 3.0. At slow speeds it will impress you. High speeds and high engine load it will suck def like crazy at the rate of 1 gallon every 175 miles. I went from Illinois to southern Utah this summer pulling 7k and not one time I felt the need for more power or stopping ability. It was just the def consumption that drove me nuts. Supposedly the new 22 3.0 will have rated towing capacity up to 13000 pounds.

Buy yourself 3 Years of DEF fluid and oil. Now that the squirrel's have been quarentined, there is a squirrel piss shortage for DEF.

Def does have a shelf life of about 18 months if properly sealed. Very corrosive stuff and burns your skin.

I tow stuff with my 3.0(chyrsler) quite a bit. Lately in the jeep, it is just a two horse trailer. The 1500 pulled my gator, JD 1020R, and I pulled a 66vw bug from MO to NC through the mountains of Virginia. I never had any issues with going, I had a trailer brake controller in the 1500, and it made some difference in pulling. I haven’t installed one in the jeep just yet, not sure it will be necessary with a horse trailer. I had the gen2 3.0 and got 21-22 pulling my smaller loads. I got 28 on a trip to Arkansas once with just the truck. The Gen 3 motor in the jeep has topped out at 27 on a trip. Not bad considering the jeep is a driving cinderblock.

Reactions: JJMoody
I don't know if you are still looking at the 2.8L duramax, but rumor has it that they are going to stop taking orders for it 3rd quarter this year (2022) and replace it with the 2.7L dual turbo gas.

So, if you want the diesel, probably need to get it soon.

My uncle runs a Colorado, 2wd 2.8l, I forget what size tires he has on it but they’re taller and thinner than stock. He also commutes 5-700 miles a week. He’s got 165k on his and they’ve been trouble free. Think he gets around 37mpg. He drives like old people fuck though, painfully slow 😂

• Haha
Go for the ZR2 if you do wind up going with a Colorado. Way nicer than the Z71.View attachment 7803015
How so? And I ask that in all seriousness. I have pondered the Z71, the ZR2, and the ZR2 Bison (Which yours is, correct?). I get the locking rear diff (ZR2) or front and rear (Bison) but what else do you like more about the ZR2 in general?

So the time had come. I need a new ride and I'm wanting a truck. I don't haul anything other than my rifles (and a few cases are a PITA to cram in the Yaris! :LOL:) but I do have a have a 500 mile a week commute. I am really liking the Chevy Colorado Z71 (Or the Canyon Altitude) with the 2.8L Duramax as 28MPG is pretty damn nice and with a tune 33MPG "might" be possible. My question for the gurus is this... How durable is that little lump (And the AT while I'm asking)? My diesel experince is limited to an OLD Mercedes 300D that was indestructable! TIA
Not a truck but I'm pretty happy with my Mercedes E250 Sedan. Full size car, AWD, and gets 40-46 on the highway with a trunk full of gun gear.

The EPA killed them. Said that they polluted too much during the first 30 seconds after startup 🙄

How so? And I ask that in all seriousness. I have pondered the Z71, the ZR2, and the ZR2 Bison (Which yours is, correct?). I get the locking rear diff (ZR2) or front and rear (Bison) but what else do you like more about the ZR2 in general?
Actually the regular ZR2 and the Bison both have front and rear lockers. The Bison package gets you more armor underneath, steal bumpers and some extra badging. As to why the ZR2 is a better package than the Z71, the aforementioned front and rear lockers, better approach and decent angles, and a completely different suspension. Look into the ZR2 suspension for details. Uses a multimatic spool damper. It's great offroad but drives like a car on the highway.

ETA: Yes mine is a Bison.

Just wished the ZR2 was a tad bigger and stronger frame... theybare underrated foe off reading. Frame is the weak link and travel

Well I may have scored! Found a 2017 ZR2 duramax in Silver with Rockstar Wheels and Nitto Ridge Grapplers in AL for 44777.00. The kicker? 6518 miles on the clock! Calling tonight!

Last edited:
Reactions: gunjunkie45
Well I may have scored! Found a 2017 ZR2 duramax in Silver with Rockstar Wheels and Nitto Ridge Grapples in AL for 44777.00. The kicker? 6518 miles on the clock! Calling tonight!

It'll be gone by tonight.

If you're serious, you need to be driving there ready to sign papers right now.

This market is nuts. I called 5 different dealerships on trucks. All 5 sold them out from under me while I was setting up an appointment to drive there (3+ hour drive 1 way).

Well, this one’s more like 1000 miles away so if it goes it goes!
EDIT: I've found about 30 low milage examples. Not sure why except maybe folks think it's gonna have the get up and go of the 3.6L and are disappointed?

Last edited:
Well I may have scored! Found a 2017 ZR2 duramax in Silver with Rockstar Wheels and Nitto Ridge Grapplers in AL for 44777.00. The kicker? 6518 miles on the clock! Calling tonight!

If you spend almost $50K out the door for a 5 year old Colorado then you’re fucking insane. I also wouldn’t touch a newer diesel that isn’t under factory warranty or certified pre owned.

Reactions: BCP
I have a question that is just a bit off of the topic but still diesel related (only Diesel I ever owned was my third tractor when we had our small horse farm)

Question, do the large diesels in the one ton pickups use the same anti emissions equipment that these smaller diesel vehicles have?

I have a question that is just a bit off of the topic but still diesel related (only Diesel I ever owned was my third tractor when we had our small horse farm)

Question, do the large diesels in the one ton pickups use the same anti emissions equipment that these smaller diesel vehicles have?

Yes.

They all use dpf, def, egr, etc.

So exhaust fluid is a thing you need now. As a bonus it makes the exhaust smell 100x worse than normal when it's in re-gen.

Yeap there's a whole underground industry to remove that crap too. Reprogram the computer etc.

The colorado diesel isn't bad however the regular gas engine has plenty of zip and towing for a small truck so I don't see the point.

Just remember that I never mentioned anything about head gaskets or cracked heads.
Was something mentioned about certain oil screens getting plugged and causing issues ?
No, it definitely was not me saying anything about those things....like radiators cracking, nope, wasn't me.
So please, if you have any issues with light duty diesels, I am not the one to blame.