• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Thoughts on the Athlon Midas BTR for a CZ 455 trainer

JoshMarines

I'm Just Here for the PX
Banned !
Minuteman
May 7, 2017
What are your thoughts on the Midas? Good, bad, pro and Cons of the optic

Gen 2s will be out at some point in 2019. The gen 1 midas btr was discontinued. It had lots of parallax issues at high magnification. If you want to look at ffp and a scope that athlon is currently stocking look into the midas tac

What kind of parallax issues did they have? I can’t remember seeing any issues.

There was a large amount of them that wouldnt focus around the top end of the magnification range

I like mine, especially the reticle, I hope Athlon keeps the APLR3 or that's gonna piss me off!

The glass and turrets could be a little better, not bad but not great either.

The two I've been around tracked great!

If you are looking at midas btr you probably dont want to spend the money on an etr (while they are really nice) I would encourage you to get a Ares btr or midas tac if you can swing it

Midas Tac sitting on my 455. For NRL22 purposes I find it to be everything I need.

Go with the Midas Tac instead. The Midas BTR may be named similar, but the TAC glass is much better. Turrets feels great also. Mine sits on my 22 trainer.

We've been selling tons of the Midas TAC's for 22 trainers with great feedback.
Be glad to discuss one with you. I am in the store all day tomorrow, 516-217-1000.
Happy New Year
Doug

We've been selling tons of the Midas TAC's for 22 trainers with great feedback.
Be glad to discuss one with you. I am in the store all day tomorrow, 516-217-1000.
Happy New Year
Doug

Any possibility of a Midas BTR trade in credit? Starting to wish I’d of gotten the TAC and it’s NIB hasn’t even been deliberated yet

I have the MIDAS TAC. I really like it. I have had it on a RPRR out to 300 meters. It is very nice to work with.

I got a btr for the target 22 for some good zoom, second focal plane reticle to line up the 1/8” center dot, 4.5-27. For 250 bucks I don’t think I can complain. I put it on right before the end of the comp season so I haven’t really gotten to stretch it’s legs properly but for sighting in and shooting a few groups it was fine. Glass isn’t alpha by any stretch but it’s also no dog until you get to the sunset, starts to noticeably dim sooner than I would have hoped but then again it was super cheap so what grounds is that to complain on? I’m sure the tac is nicer but it’s also like 2x the cost now, right?

My close friend went with a Midas TAC 6-24x FFP. Not sure how different that is from the BTR (aside from mag range) but for the money the glass is decent and the turrets are pretty nice. Probably not something I'd want for 600-1200 yard shooting but for the 22 it's nice. He's taken it to 300 yards on his 10/22.

I got a btr for the target 22 for some good zoom, second focal plane reticle to line up the 1/8” center dot, 4.5-27. For 250 bucks I don’t think I can complain. I put it on right before the end of the comp season so I haven’t really gotten to stretch it’s legs properly but for sighting in and shooting a few groups it was fine. Glass isn’t alpha by any stretch but it’s also no dog until you get to the sunset, starts to noticeably dim sooner than I would have hoped but then again it was super cheap so what grounds is that to complain on? I’m sure the tac is nicer but it’s also like 2x the cost now, right?

No, the Ares BTR is FFP 10 mil zero stop 800 dollars, it costs more than the Midas Tac. The regular Ares SFP is the one that has been around 300 on sale lately. I agree with you about it, I have one of the 2.5-15s on my 22. Not bad for the money.

No, the Ares BTR is FFP 10 mil zero stop 800 dollars, it costs more than the Midas Tac. The regular Ares SFP is the one that has been around 300 on sale lately. I agree with you about it, I have one of the 2.5-15s on my 22. Not bad for the money.
No, to your correction. Yes, youre right about a complete different scope line not being what I described. The Midas btr is a second focal scope. The guy is asking about the midas btr, Im just not trying to up sell him with all of the tac and ares talk.
https://cameralandny.com/spec-sheet...L-midas-btr&catalog[product_guids][0]=1622675
https://athlonoptics.com/product/rifle-scopes-midas-btr-4-5-27x50-aplr1-sfp-ir-mil/

Last edited:
Reactions: supercorndogs
You are correct I am was thinking the the Midas BTR was called the Ares. Then the more expensive one was the Ares BTR.

If there's anyway you can swing it price-wise, I'd definitely recommend the Midas TAC over the BTR sfp version. I put a 6-24x50 TAC on a little V-22 Ranch bolt rifle, and have been all kinds of pleased with it. I've got Athlon Cronus 4.5-29x56 scopes on all the other bolt repeaters, but this is supposed to be a relatively light weight walk-about rifle, and the Midas TAC is quite a bit lighter & less bulky than the Cronus, while still having ffp, good distinct clicks on turrets, decent reticle, and very decent glass. It's definitely a step up in both optical & mechanical quality from the older original Midas sfp scopes.