• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thoughts on the B&C Tactical Medalist (adjustable)

targetterror

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2008
Boston, MA
Sorry if this was covered previously - a search did not completely answer my questions.

I'm thinking of doing a build on a Remington SPS tactical in .308. I'm thinking about getting the Bell and Carlson Tactical Medalist stock, the one with the adjustable cheek and buttplate. I know that B&C is generally considered to be a very good value for the money, but have not read much regarding this specific stock. What are people's thoughts? I'm sure it is no McMillan or Manners, but it is a good $400 less than a stock with equivalent adjustments from either company. Also, does anyone know what kind of recoil pad it has? Does it soak up the 308 recoil, or can another pad be put on?

I'm tall and skinny, and find that getting a good cheek weld has always been an issue for me with a scope. My eye always lines up right with the top of the barrel - great for irons, terrible for scopes. I either need to get a cheek bad and bolster it up, or put on a Karsten style riser. I figure that by the time I get either the straight B&C medalist or HS precision and put a Karsten on, I might as well spend another $100 or so get one already setup for that, with the adjustable buttplate as well.

Re: Thoughts on the B&C Tactical Medalist (adjustable)

I did similar research and they seem to be very good value for the money. Stockystocks has them in stock for $405 but with my 700 5r there would be some fitment issues and would require the barrel channel to be opened up some. It should work perfect with the sps though.

I personally just ordered the aics 1.5 for 815 shipped from eurooptic as it mounts right up without any modifications or bedding and includes a 5 round box mag.

I used one of these on the first build I did. My thoughts are, it's heavy, very stiff with decent ergos. I didn't like the shape of the forearm. The recoil pad is thin, but I guess if one wants to replace it, it could be done.

padding is thin on the butt - I added a couple layers of rubber mat to give it an extra 5/8 inch extension and a softer feel - I also have a long neck and have to extend every stock

combined with a stiller DBM I like it better than anything else for under 700$

I tried to like an AIAE then an ASICS but just could not cozy up to the thumbhole or pistol grip for a precision rifle

Love mine. Heavy, solid, built well for my grip.

I shoot 0.5 Mao with my sps varmint.

They are a great stock fitment was good on the one my friend has. Quality is what you would expect with any B&C stock. I will say up front if you are wanting to run a DBM I would recommend looking at chassis system like the Mcree stock. Once you add up buying the stock, sending it off to inletted, and buying a DBM and mag you will be equal to a few different chassis systems. Just figured I would add that also.

I had a B&C stock on a winchester m70 with a karsten cheek rest and to be honest, I was not impressed at all. I took it hunting one time in the rain and just on the hike back from my stand the rain ended up ruining my stock. I went back to a wood stock the next day. I know a ton of people run them, but that was just my experience. As far as a good bench gun id say they are great and are a big improvement over the standard sps (which still is pretty accurate out of the box). Id just be careful if you plan on hunting in wet weather.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FoxtrotUniform308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a B&C stock on a winchester m70 with a karsten cheek rest and to be honest, I was not impressed at all. I took it hunting one time in the rain and just on the hike back from my stand the rain ended up ruining my stock. I went back to a wood stock the next day. I know a ton of people run them, but that was just my experience. As far as a good bench gun id say they are great and are a big improvement over the standard sps (which still is pretty accurate out of the box). Id just be careful if you plan on hunting in wet weather. </div></div>

I'm kinda curious what model stock did you have and how was it ruined?

It was a win model70 .25 wssm coyote that came with a B&C. The front of the forearm bubbled up and cracked the stock in a area the size of a half dollar. A friend of mine thinks there was just a crack or something that the water got into but im not really sure. I dont have the stock anymore, but I think I have a picture of it somewhere, Ill post it if I find it.

edit: If it matters This was back in 2006 and I won the rifle in a raffle so im not sure how it was treated before I finally got it.