• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thoughts on the H&K UMP

D.A.T

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2006
Kansas
I have the opportunity to purchase a converted HK USC to UMP SBR in .45 for around $2500ish. I am told it is all HK parts and comes with 6 HK magazines.

What are peoples thoughts on this weapon and also on the price given.

Re: Thoughts on the H&K UMP

I have a newer usc and am running 20rnd pro mags. Great price if you want a ump. I like the design.... But you can pick up a used usc for 1000..... I have a hard time spending good coin on a plastic gun.

Reactions: Texascbr

I have shot full autos in .40 and its a bad ass little gun, very controllable. I like it much better than a MP5. I'm not sure if a FA trigger group will fit it or not but that may be an option. I say if you like it get it, they are a lot of fun.

I've shot a post sample UMP45 and loved it. They're out of my price range but I liked it better than the Kriss SBR. I'm no HK expert, but the price seems good compared to other USC to UMP conversions I've seen. If I could afford another toy I'd go for it.

Do you have plans for a suppressor and/or a sear?

Gratuitous pic of the wife:

1zp65n6.jpg

Will the guy wanted some stuff in trade 2

(10) 20 Round Magpul 5.56 mags
Magnum Hornady Ultra Sonic Cleaner and 2 containers of Solution
9mm AR Conversion Kit, Complete Upper, Mag Block and 2 Mags.

And 1595.00 Cash

I feel Pretty good about this.

I have the 16" USC barrel, I plan on chopping it down and threading it due to the barrel already on it having the HK Flange.

it is a sweet 45 SBR, throw a can on it and go blast, it doesn't get much better than this and that is the closest you are gonna get from a real HK UMP.

The trigger on the USC/UMP is horrible. Bill Springfield does trigger jobs on them and says he can take out alot of the creep and take about 2lb of the pull weight.

What do you guys think?

I have a factory USC. I think the trigger is fine for what the rest of the carbine is capable of.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D.A.T.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The trigger on the USC/UMP is horrible. Bill Springfield does trigger jobs on them and says he can take out alot of the creep and take about 2lb of the pull weight.

What do you guys think? </div></div>

There are a couple different options, but Bill's trigger work is the BEST option if you don't mind paying the $70 + S&H for the work. You'll get around a 2-2.5lb pull REDUCTION from the factory pull, but NOT a 2-2.5lb TOTAL pull (I have seen a couple folks be disappointed with his USC/UMP trigger work as they were expecting a 2lb pull which clearly is NOT the case). Bill's ultimate end result will depend largely on which springs he has to work with because some early factory spring sets were pretty light, while later models used pretty heavy springs. In addition to just the basic trigger pull, his work also includes repositioning the hammer spring tails, changing the sear and hammer contact angles to reduce the negative hammer camming, and just generally improving the overall function of the trigger. It is leaps and bounds above the stock, factory trigger.

In addition to Bill, you might also check and see if Denny Williams at Williams Trigger Specialties is doing USC/UMP triggers. He doesn't list them on his site, but his other work on HK trigger packs/triggers is excellent so it may be worth an e-mail/phone call. http://www.williamstriggers.com/

Finally, if you can track down someone with the lighter springs (you'll need both hammer springs, as well as the sear spring), you can try swapping those out on your own and see if just that improves the trigger to your satisfaction.

I find the grip to be horrible feeling. If there was an easy/cheap way to get a different grip on it I would love it. It is far to square and not contoured well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeepocabra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I find the grip to be horrible feeling. If there was an easy/cheap way to get a different grip on it I would love it. It is far to square and not contoured well. </div></div>

If I were you and looking for a "cheap" fix on the grip...any one of a huge variety of "slip on" grip sleeves like the Hogue Handall and Pachmayr grip sleeves go a long way toward making the stock grip "feel" better.

I have a UMP 40 for work it is a very nice system. But on of our guys had his lower bust right where the stock locks by the ejection port. Took a big section out of the lower. Not sure if it was a malfunction with the lower, cold weather or the big dumb ox that did not lift the stock a little before he tugged it open.

Bill springfield did a trigger job on my sl8/g36 clone and it was like night and day. id say the trigger is around 4 lbs??? but SO smooth.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeepocabra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I find the grip to be horrible feeling. If there was an easy/cheap way to get a different grip on it I would love it. It is far to square and not contoured well.</div></div>

While not cheap, does anybody know if it's possible to just change to the UMP lower? The grip on those looks way more ergonomic. If it is possible, will it still use UMP magazines? I understand some milling on the upper needs to be done to accept USC magazines.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While not cheap, does anybody know if it's possible to just change to the UMP lower? The grip on those looks way more ergonomic. If it is possible, will it still use UMP magazines? I understand some milling on the upper needs to be done to accept USC magazines. </div></div>

Using the UMP lower IS THE CONVERSION (at least the "proper" conversion) unless you are talking about some of the older, hack-job, grease-gun mag conversions, etc., etc.

The conversion consists (primarily) of the UMP lower and stock block, plus the necessary 922r compliant parts (sear, trigger, mag kit, etc., etc.) given the "evil features" being added (pistol grip, etc.), and some milling work to the USC upper to open it up to accept the wider, double-stack UMP mags. That is very much an OVER-SIMPLIFICATION of the process, but that's it in a nutshell. If you want more detail, head over to HKPro and have a read through the mounds of detailed photos, vids (links to youtube) and other conversion-related information. HKParts.net/Adam Webber is a great source (among several) for conversion parts.

One of our local SWAT teams uses UMP 45's and they love them. I have never personally fired one but I hear they are very accurate and reliable...like most things HK.

Heavier and less controllable in 45 than an M4A1 is in 5,56. Unless you collect HK I don’t see the point.