• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thoughts on the LMT .308

TheTrauma

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2008
Michigan
I'm thinking of buying the LMT 308 to go with my LMT piston. Just wondering what everyone here thought of the rifle. Msrp is 2500 but my local shop is selling it for 2100. Thanks for the advice.

Re: Thoughts on the LMT .308

Haven't seen one yet but they're probably good stuff and a lot less dough than the KAC offerings.

The Brits just bought a few hundred for the DMR role and designated them the L129A1.

Well ordered today with a may-june shipping est. Any more thoughts? From my understanding it is a Kac lower with a mrp .308 upper. Any suggestions for accessories?

Handled it at SHOT. Very nice. Lower is not KAC, but takes the KAC SR25 mags. POF is making a 25 rounder. It is the MRP upper, but DI, not piston just so as you know. They did not have current plans for a piston because they are focusing on production.

Regarding price - MSRP is $2,252 so the dealer list at $2,500 is a markup. At $2,100 you are getting a discount, but it ain't $400. With regards to other AR308 platforms, LMT is a bargain. LWRC REPR at $3,600-$3,800, FNC SCAR-H and the SIG 716 in the same range and who knows what HK will rape us for on the MR762 (along with proprietary mags). The LaRue OBR at $3k is worth a look, SR25 mag and a thing of machining beauty - larueOSR.com. Plus Mark's customer service is unequaled, period dot.

The only thing I am pausing on is it is only available with the 16" bbl. I'd prefer 18-20" for the exterior ballistics.

I saw it at SHOT too. I went back several times to handle it. I like it, even with the price.

The 16" with the SOPMOD stock had pretty good balance to it. The one they did up for the Brits was nice, but heavy with that 6x48 ACOG.

The real question is...Is it better than the Armalite SASS for that price???

I was reading on M4carbine.com and a KAC rep was saying LMT previously made the KAC lowers and that some of the parts are the very same. I do know it is not a piston and not a big deal for me (almost prefer it like it is). Also talk of future barrels such as a stainless steel 5R barrel in different lengths. Also I'm sure in the future a piston will be available.

I think it comes down to my trust in LMT, which IMO is an outstanding company, and anything that took 10 years to test and produce will probably be an outstanding product.

has anyone received concrete pricing on these? LMT Sales rep. told me $2500 last week (it has the excise tax included), while other folks are getting $2252 prices from the sales reps. from LMT.

For $2,100, I don't think you can go wrong. I wonder how much the extra barrels will be?

Will this work with the Iron Ridge Lowers. I read somewhere it will fit the DPMS. I want their mono rail but an IRA lower will it work?

I really like it and I'm planning on getting one this year.
The lower + MRP upper and sr25/pmag style mags is a big adavantage for me. + they got a Brit contract so you know they got tested very well.

Honestly...I can't wait to get my filthy hands on one!!! The MRP platforms are simply awesome! I have the 5.56 version, with a .22lr MRP barrel (and bolt) from Spike's Tactical. Considering a deal on the 6.8 SPC as well....just need the funds to make it a reality.

Long story short...the main reason I would be looking at the LMT, is for its diversity. LMT may not be advertising it, or even discussing it, but I'm hopeful that they make / sell .243 and 7mm-08 barrels (you could use the same BCG!!! How freakin awesome would that be?

I also handled one at SHOT, a few times as I kept going back. :) And I ordered one when I got home.

The lower is very similar to the KAC with an ambi selector and mag release. And two different reps there said the next-in-queue barrel was a match stainless in (probably) 20". Additional calibers under consideration seem to be .243 and .260.

I've had an MRP CQB for a year now. Ran about 3000 rounds through it as a DI gun and then another 1600 as a piston conversion. It is my favorite AR, hands down.

My only gripe with lmt is that they won't sell you a barrel extension so that you can use the barrel or chambering of your choice. I realize it may not be a big deal to some but for example the fact that they still use the spc chamber and 1:10 twist in their 6.8 barrels annoys me and they don't seem to have any plans on changing.

If they are more friendly to custom barrels and calibers with their large pattern mrp then I'll by one.

This will be the ultimate 308 AR.

LMT and KAC have a long history of working together.

What this rifle amounts to is an SR-25 with an MRP upper at half the price of a KAC rifle.

How could you go wrong?

Armalite might as well give up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wildbill66</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone know a dealer that is taking pre orders for a price below the MSRP? </div></div>Not sure, but you could give OGC Tactical in Hawaii a try. http://ogctactical.com/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: valmet76</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Armalite might as well give up. </div></div>I don't know about that, but it's good to see quite more options becoming available, instead of the Typical Armalite, DPMS, POF, etc.

Edit: I see there is now a semi auto sub section. Nice.

I received some of the LMT's today. They look good. Interested to see they have "KAC" marked magazines. Adds credence to the idea LMT is a vendor for KAC.

Perhaps we will now be able to get KAC mags for less than 100ea!

I would like to see it have an ambi bolt release.