• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thoughts?

Funny how threads get soooo off topic. I was in the same boat you were in Traveler I was a noob not too long ago and wondered about the 700 AAC-SD myself. I ended up buying one as my first and out of the box was not all that impressed. It was very inconsistent, shooting all over the place at 100 yards. Did some research and found out it had a crap stock, so I replaced the stock with a B&C. Groups tightened up quite a bit. Still wasn't where I wanted it to be so I bought a timney trigger and put it on. Again, groups tightened up a bit but its not where I want them to be. So after buying the gun, replacing the stock, replacing the trigger, handloading my own ammo, adding a harris and bushnell 3200 with me behind the gun I can shoot moa sometimes better but not much. For me the gun was to be a budget gun from the get go. I knew I would have to put money in the gun but that was the fun of it for me, adding on to it. I didn't have the money to go blow $2000 on a gun so I did what I could with what I had. For my skill level and budget the gun turned out to be just what I was looking for. In an off topic can someone please explain to me why people even take the time to post so many negative things? Or why do people take the time to respond to "dumb questions" with insults or comments like "this has been posted a million times before"? If you are sick of seeing a post that has been posted a bunch before why even open the thread? Why even take the time to respond? Why not just scroll on down and find something that interests you and waste your time on that? I'm just curious as to the reasoning behind it all, to me it doesn't make sense.

Traveler, 3 of us bought 700 AAC-SDs. 2 of them did great after switching to M40 A1 stocks and Timney triggers. Mine did not do well at all. As a result the only thing original to my gun are bolt and receiver. Even then the receiver has been trued. I would have been better off going full custom from the start. It's a hit or miss proposition with the 700 AAC-SD. but most folks do pretty well with just a stock and trigger upgrade. I second what has been said above about the 5R.

You will find tons of information on the Hide about both of these guns. Guys have put in a lot of time working with these rifles and then relaying that information here. This info will help set expectations and help greatly in your decision making. You're asking about a very popular rifle on maybe the most prolific action the world has ever known, so you can expect that the pages here have it pretty well covered. Learning to use the search function will be your best friend.

Having said that, please enjoy this site and don't mind the flak that will occasionally be sent your way. Sometimes guys are being funny, sometimes they are not and need to be told to fuck off (or better yet, just ignored), but many more will just offer you their experience and assistance. Welcome to the Hide.

I would've completely avoided this thread if the title wasn't so, let's call it vague. Which was my point to begin with. Hard to avoid something without knowing what it is.

The original 1-12" twist sps tactical seems to have a better reputation for accuracy. The 1-10" aac's seem to be more inconsistent.

I went through this same thing a couple of years ago and decided to buy a 5R mil-spec. An AWESOME shooting rifle right out of the box.
Guess what, the only thing left of that original rifle is the action and bolt.

That is the nature of this sport, once you start, you'll find yourself chasing another 1/4" or less drop and more wind resistance.

Another excellent option in your price range is a Howa varmint rifle. Less aftermarket support, but it is an excellent action with a superior one piece bolt and a good trigger. If you get one in the laminated wooden stock, you only need to buy an acra-glass kit and release agent from brownells.

I think this is pretty fucking retarded right here. Shooting down a R700 platform but suggesting a hunting rifle with a lightweight barrel? What are you smoking?

Is a T3 accurate? You bet your ass. Are most Remington's just as accurate? Yes. I have both and have had several more of both. The only Tikka I have left that sees target use is a 223 I had reamed out to 223AI. Really the only reason I still have it is they're the only game in town for a 1:8 twist 223. I would much rather have something else with a better stock, better mags, more aftermarket support, and a bit more weight (not for recoil but so the gun doesn't move all around while you're working the bolt, etc). The stock sucks as far as ergonomics compared to 90% of the aftermarket ones for R700's and is Tupperware. It floats the barrel though so it is serviceable. The bottom metal and mag system plain sucks sucks as far as I'm concerned, none of mine have fed smoothly, they all have fed reliably but rough. The trigger is pretty good, action is somewhat slick but has a good bit of slop and just feels cheap, the 60 degree bolt throw is nice though. The rifle is an ok hunting rifle but as far as a target rifle falls way short, the 308 I had pushed me around way too much to use it for much more than some practice, and hunting, and my 25-06 is the same way. They have virtually no aftermarket support either, and they need it. When there is a problem or something breaks it has to go back to berretta who has some of the worst service i had experienced. If Remy, Weatherby, Howa, or Winchester ever offers a 1:8" 223 I will be buying it.

Aside from the complete rifles, if I was building a rifle from scratch and actions had equal aftermarket support Tikka wouldn't even be in my top 25 choices for an action to build with. A couple Sako's would assuming equal aftermarket support and you guessed it, Remington would be in the list and about in the middle.

If you want a decent lightweight hunting rifle that will print some impressive 3 shot groups for your buddies, buy a T3 Lite. If you want a plain Jane factory target rifle with a Tupperware stock and virtually no aftermarket support, buy T3 Varmint, or Scout if you can find one.

If you want a target rifle that you can make to fit you and order pretty much any stock or bottom metal combo and have it by the end of the week, buy a Remington. You can buy stock after stock to try different setups and sell them and lose little to nothing to move to the next because of the demand. If you break something there are Remington parts everywhere all over the country, chances are you can find what you need within an hour of your home and won't even need to make an order. There is a gunsmith in every town that works on them and it's not because they're pieces of crap and need work, it's because they are great platforms to build on. Are they on par with a custom action? No but they can be for about the same cost, and the tikka can't. I have an AI AX and I'm not missing much when I move over to my basic 700P... Thats going from a $6500 factory rifle to a $900 factory rifle... I don't feel the same way when shooting my T3 223AI, not at the least.

Do I need to go on as to why the 700 action is a better platform?

More fucking ignorance from someone who doesn't know their asshole from a hole in the ground.

What aftermarket Do you need? Stocks? WC3 is the BEST chassis made.....Manners also does T3... Bottom Metal? AICS, CDI......make a choice..... Recoil Lugs...Go buy what tickles your facny.

What fucking aftermarket are you even talking about. Everything you could need is out there.

The Bolt is 75* , not 60*

Most Remington's are not accurate. If you like shitty actions machined by monkeys (That usually require hundreds of $ in machining to fix them) and shitty barrels made by the cheapest vendor possible, with poor componets everywhere.....then buy a Remington. The aftermarket loves the rems beacuse just about every part of that piece of shit needs to be replaced to get it right.

If I was building a rifle from scratch, the Tikka would not be in the running either. And Sure as fuck wouldnt be a piece of shit 700.

Like I said we can talk for days why the 700 is so popular, and why gunsmiths like them (which only a brain dead fucking idiot could not see why, How much money would they make truing/blueprinting actions that don't need it?), Why the military chose it over the Mod70, ect.

You have multiple people in this thread alone saying the AAC-SD is a piece of shit. Why does a $400 Howa and a $500 Tikka Both shoot circles around them?

The whole point of getting the T3 lite is as a doner action. It can be rebarreled and dropped into a chassis for a fraction of what a custom rifle would cost........and will shoot just as well.

If I was building a rifle from scratch, the Tikka would not be in the running either.

The whole point of getting the T3 lite is as a doner action. It can be rebarreled and dropped into a chassis for a fraction of what a custom rifle would cost........and will shoot just as well.

Were you repeatedly dropped on your head as a child?

Last edited:
Were you repeatedly dropped on your head as a child?

Please explain to me how a simple rebarrel and a custom build are the same thing?

If I was going to do a full custom, I would go with a real action like a M2013, BAT or Stiller.

How is it not? The only thing left is an action. When you screw on a barrel of your choice in a caliber of your choice, and drop it in a stock of your choice, what else would you call that?

Well guys, I bought the thing. My brother and I went to Virginia this morning and shot with it all day. Worked it all the way out to 1040 yards. It shot 9 inch groups at 1000 yards CONSISTENTLY. I'm kinda new to all this, so is that sub MOA? Maybe some of you "experts" could answer that for me. Cuz my instructor said one MOA at 1000 yards is 10 inch groups. And my rifle shot 9 inch groups. Call me a rookie, but I'm pretty sure 9 is smaller than 10. To all who gave me positive feedback over the last couple days, I thank you. All of you. Cuz u talked me into spending 500 bucks on a sub MOA factory gun that I can now tweak and upgrade and have a hell of a lotta fun workin on until its 3/4 MOA or half MOA or whatever I get out of it. Y'all did me AND THE SPORT a service this weekend. And I appreciate it. As for the rest of y'all negative smart asses, like I said before-you can suck it.

You made a good choice obviously and should be very happy with it. Ignore the idiots and remember that down syndrome is not a choice.

Well guys, I bought the thing. My brother and I went to Virginia this morning and shot with it all day. Worked it all the way out to 1040 yards. It shot 9 inch groups at 1000 yards CONSISTENTLY. I'm kinda new to all this, so is that sub MOA? Maybe some of you "experts" could answer that for me. Cuz my instructor said one MOA at 1000 yards is 10 inch groups. And my rifle shot 9 inch groups. Call me a rookie, but I'm pretty sure 9 is smaller than 10. To all who gave me positive feedback over the last couple days, I thank you. All of you. Cuz u talked me into spending 500 bucks on a sub MOA factory gun that I can now tweak and upgrade and have a hell of a lotta fun workin on until its 3/4 MOA or half MOA or whatever I get out of it. Y'all did me AND THE SPORT a service this weekend. And I appreciate it. As for the rest of y'all negative smart asses, like I said before-you can suck it.

Shit! $500, that is a great price. If it's shooting 9in at 1000 then it's a good gun. That thing will love 175smks, If you want to max that thing out load eventually! Do a ladder test to find the sweet spot. As stated a zillion times get a good trigger like a Timney at minimum, and a BnC stock, the medalist/tactical is a great place to start. SWFA or Weaver makes decent glass. Pic below of my USMC buddy with his AAC, and Weaver tac optic. He places head shots at 1000 when he's on his A game.

Attachments

• AAC.jpg
    AAC.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 13
Shit! $500, that is a great price. If it's shooting 9in at 1000 then it's a good gun. That thing will love 175smks, If you want to max that thing out load eventually! Do a ladder test to find the sweet spot. As stated a zillion times get a good trigger like a Timney at minimum, and a BnC stock, the medalist/tactical is a great place to start. SWFA or Weaver makes decent glass. Pic below of my USMC buddy with his AAC, and Weaver tac optic. He places head shots at 1000 when he's on his A game.

I don't mean to keep beating this dead horse because you and TurdCutter have already proven you're idiots, but this is just too much.

You swore up and down that these rifles will not shoot with anything shy of a $250 jewel trigger, $800 stock, and $1000+ scope having $3500 in it and you post up one with none of that and make claims of hits at 1k on a 1/2 MOA target LOL. That rifle has a $250 stock, $100 trigger, and $700 scope. The only thing that would make this more hilarious would be a box of FGMM or Black Hill sitting next to him.

I don't mean to keep beating this dead horse because you and TurdCutter have already proven you're idiots, but this is just too much.

You swore up and down that these rifles will not shoot with anything shy of a $250 jewel trigger, $800 stock, and $1000+ scope having $3500 in it and you post up one with none of that and make claims of hits at 1k on a 1/2 MOA target LOL. That rifle has a $250 stock, $100 trigger, and $700 scope. The only thing that would make this more hilarious would be a box of FGMM or Black Hill sitting next to him.

Redneck, that rifle in the pic has a Huber in it, you dippy, that's 350 dollars. The optic with the rings and level were over $1000 combined, then muzzle break and bottom DBM. That rifle after everything said and done is well over $2500, my original number. Ahhh! now you get it...well probably not.

Let me spell it out for you:

Idiots like you undermine this sport and dismantle the spirit of SH. Your assumptions and ignorant posts are only paced by your insolence and nasty disposition. I was only making suggestions not saying this is how it has to be, learn to read and process that information, perhaps if you had finished high school you could do this. You go on the attack at everyone just for attention, this is in no doubt because your not getting any play with the girls with your mall security job. I'm sure your some sharpshooter as well who jerks his trigger at the same rate at which you masterbate, probably faster than a rabid bonobo chimpanzee. Im sure there is some perp who you need to go chase as they stole some skinny jeans from the Gap.

Now kindly fuck in the direction of off you retarded child.

Cheers!

Sako

Last edited:
Take a look at any jacked up thread and you'll find it went downhill shortly after VJJpunisher chimed in...

Jus' sayin'...

Carry on

Take a look at any jacked up thread and you'll find it went downhill shortly after VJJpunisher chimed in...

Jus' sayin'...

Carry on

I had nothing to do with this one, though you can still hum on my nutts if you please

Last edited:
Everyone seems to get really sensitive really quickly, and that's why I love this forum. Heaps of knowledge and heaps of laughs. Let the good times roll.

Thread logic:

1) Don't buy a $700 rifle that needs a $200 medalist stock to shoot .80 MOA.

2) Buy a $6000 rifle from the start that shoots .50 MOA, because its what Remington should have built in the first place.

That should get the OP squared away :rolleyes:

More fucking ignorance from someone who doesn't know their asshole from a hole in the ground.

What aftermarket Do you need? Stocks? WC3 is the BEST chassis made.....Manners also does T3... Bottom Metal? AICS, CDI......make a choice..... Recoil Lugs...Go buy what tickles your facny.

What fucking aftermarket are you even talking about. Everything you could need is out there.

The Bolt is 75* , not 60*

Most Remington's are not accurate. If you like shitty actions machined by monkeys (That usually require hundreds of $ in machining to fix them) and shitty barrels made by the cheapest vendor possible, with poor componets everywhere.....then buy a Remington. The aftermarket loves the rems beacuse just about every part of that piece of shit needs to be replaced to get it right.

If I was building a rifle from scratch, the Tikka would not be in the running either. And Sure as fuck wouldnt be a piece of shit 700.

Like I said we can talk for days why the 700 is so popular, and why gunsmiths like them (which only a brain dead fucking idiot could not see why, How much money would they make truing/blueprinting actions that don't need it?), Why the military chose it over the Mod70, ect.

You have multiple people in this thread alone saying the AAC-SD is a piece of shit. Why does a $400 Howa and a $500 Tikka Both shoot circles around them?

What I like about your posts is how quickly you can go from saying that you need precision rifle training to screaming at other people about how wrong they are in their buying decisions regarding.....precision rifles. Do you need training or not? Are you speaking from experience or parroting others in an effort to bolster your own pride in your purchase?

What I like about your posts is how quickly you can go from saying that you need precision rifle training to screaming at other people about how wrong they are in their buying decisions regarding.....precision rifles. Do you need training or not? Are you speaking from experience or parroting others in an effort to bolster your own pride in your purchase?

Those are two seperate issues... Not sure what your getting at.

1. Yes training needs to be done to actualy be able to use the tool. If you cannot afford the training, ammo, and cost of a good system.... then whats the point?
2. Equipment. If you are good to go with # 1, then select the best equipment for the job and/or value, not beacuse its popular or a bunch of people use them (which is a different thread).

So please, stop trying to make shit up and putting words in people's mouths.

Those are two seperate issues... Not sure what your getting at.

1. Yes training needs to be done to actualy be able to use the tool. If you cannot afford the training, ammo, and cost of a good system.... then whats the point?
2. Equipment. If you are good to go with # 1, then select the best equipment for the job and/or value, not beacuse its popular or a bunch of people use them (which is a different thread).

So please, stop trying to make shit up and putting words in people's mouths.

Copy, you don't have training and you don't have real world experience to back up what you screech at people online.

You really are a simpleton.

Despite the fact that the rifle showed is not even CLOSE to a stock AAC-SD, and with the money into it, he could have a custom gun built or find a used TRG/AE or GAP..................do you even know what this fucking sport/hobby is about?

I am going to assume no.

Let me give you a Hint there sport........Consistancy.

You pay for consitancy. GAP's and Surgeons cost a boat load, beacuse they are consitantly fantastic shooters. Any factory is capable of putting out the random shooter that when matched with the right ammo, can shoot as good as a GAP or whatever. Now take 100 AAC-SD's, and Tell me how many will shoot like that? How many will have failures and problems to group? How many will need to be sent back beacuse they have shitty rifling, machining, or out of spec parts?

Feel free to go take a 10th grade Statistics class at your local community college, and you might learn something. That is if they would even accept you.

Done with this thread.

OP- Congrats on getting a rifle that shoots well. Keep up the good work and you will catch the disease in no time.

Copy, you don't have training and you don't have real world experience to back up what you screech at people online.

I did shoot a sniper rifle in Call of Duty one time, But they took me out with a Airstrike and I decided its too dangerous.....................

You really are a simpleton.

Despite the fact that the rifle showed is not even CLOSE to a stock AAC-SD, and with the money into it, he could have a custom gun built or find a used TRG/AE or GAP..................do you even know what this fucking sport/hobby is about?

I am going to assume no.

Let me give you a Hint there sport........Consistancy.

You pay for consitancy. GAP's and Surgeons cost a boat load, beacuse they are consitantly fantastic shooters. Any factory is capable of putting out the random shooter that when matched with the right ammo, can shoot as good as a GAP or whatever. Now take 100 AAC-SD's, and Tell me how many will shoot like that? How many will have failures and problems to group? How many will need to be sent back beacuse they have shitty rifling, machining, or out of spec parts?

Feel free to go take a 10th grade Statistics class at your local community college, and you might learn something. That is if they would even accept you.

Done with this thread.

OP- Congrats on getting a rifle that shoots well. Keep up the good work and you will catch the disease in no time.

You keep showing how stupid you really are...

You are right though, that rifle isn't close to a stock AAC-SD. It's got a $250 stock, aftermarket trigger, and a muzzle brake that anybody can assemble in their basement with minimal tools in a few minutes. That's really a high dollar custom rifle right there.

You scream consistency but your dumb ass recommends he buy a Tikka T3 hunting rifle that has such a skinny barrel it will start throwing rounds. You really know consistency...

Unlike you I have actually had an AAC-SD and know what they are capable of, you are whining about something which you have never owned. My 700P is just as consistent as anything else, as well as all the 5r's, other Remy police models, AAC-SD, and varmint models I have had. Unlike you I speak from experience. I already said that when I went from my AI AX to my 700P the last time I was out, I saw no difference in the performance. With the AI all I really have over a Remington 700 is robustness and reliability.

Keep bashing your head into the wall though, one day you might get stupid enough to believe the shit you spew out of your yap.

Thoughts?

You keep showing how stupid you really are...

Unlike you I speak from experience. I already said that when I went from my AI AX to my 700P the last time I was out, I saw no difference in the performance. With the AI all I really have over a Remington 700 is robustness and reliability.
Hmmm......

'All I really have.' Interesting.

Last edited:
Hmmm......

'All I really have.' Interesting.

Redneck has just totally outed himself. While a 700 can be accurized and perform nicely as I have empirically demonstrated, it takes some time and funds. There is no way it will perform at the same level as an AICS AX consistently. That is what accuracy is about..consistency.. It's like those bar stories where the guy in his Camaro raced the Ferrari and won, well only after adding thousands of dollars of performance enhancements, even then it's bullshit most of the time.

If one can see no difference between an AX and a 700 it's because they don't know how to use either. Perhaps those weapons hold the same level of performance in Call Of Duty, in which case Redneck is on the wrong forum.

First off my AX is an AX, not a chassis system. And yes my 700P is just as accurate and 'consistent'. The cold bore is always on, it doesn't throw fliers, and shoots just as accurate as my AX. I'm not sure what other type of consistency you could be talking about. Sure the AX has a better fit and finish, amazingly smooth action with a 60 degree bolt lift, badass 10 round double stack mag, and the best trigger I've ever used but it better seeing that it costs 7X as much. On target they perform the same and one is just as 'consistent' as the other.

Redneck has just totally outed himself. While a 700 can be accurized and perform nicely as I have empirically demonstrated, it takes some time and funds. There is no way it will perform at the same level as an AICS AX consistently. That is what accuracy is about..consistency.. It's like those bar stories where the guy in his Camaro raced the Ferrari and won, well only after adding thousands of dollars of performance enhancements, even then it's bullshit most of the time.

If one can see no difference between an AX and a 700 it's because they don't know how to use either. Perhaps those weapons hold the same level of performance in Call Of Duty, in which case Redneck is on the wrong forum.

Exactly what I was thinking.
Maybe Redneck got lucky and got a 700P that can really shoot. Maybe he just doesn't know enough to tell the difference. I could put an AX and a Savage Axis in my mother's hands and she would have no idea one cost 10 fold of the other.
Then again only an idiot would spend $5K+ on a .308 bolt gun, which would even be able to be compared to a 700P.

Thread logic:

1) Don't buy a $700 rifle that needs a $200 medalist stock to shoot .80 MOA.

2) Buy a $6000 rifle from the start that shoots .50 MOA, because its what Remington should have built in the first place.

That should get the OP squared away :rolleyes:

^^This.

There goes a half hour I'll never get back