• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing thread for home made gun smithing jigs

Re: thread for home made gun smithing jigs

Here are some of my jigs, from when I was a gunsmith.
normally I avoid gunsmith jobs the best I can now.......
Håkan

img48b06148dbe3a.jpg

Jig for grinding the locking lugs in the action.

img48bb012501db2.jpg

Simple solution for keeping the bolt in the milling machine.

img48b04aeb716c7.jpg

Simple jig for truing the thread on a action

24952_422496884407_680984407_5342386_1187914_n.jpg

Jig for 1911 barrel so the hood can be adjusted in milling machine or grinding machine, little at a time and then remounted back on the same place again.

Håkan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spuhr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here are some of my jigs, from when I was a gunsmith.
Håkan

img48bb012501db2.jpg

Simple solution for keeping the bolt in the milling machine.

</div></div>

Mauserboltfacetomagnum.jpg

I also clamped the bolt in a V block to open the face in the mill, when I converted (3) Mausers to 7mmMag in October.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spuhr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here are some of my jigs, from when I was a gunsmith.
Håkan

img48b04aeb716c7.jpg

Simple jig for truing the thread on a action
</div></div>

i know i have seen this picture before somewhere, possibly practical machinist. it was probably a couple years ago that i saw it. i think this is the picture that made me want to use a cnc mill for truing actions. then i saw chad dixon's pictures and it reinforced the idea. i still have not tried it yet but i plan to.

some of my home shop made tools, fixtures and jigs.

receiverwrench3.jpg

receiverwrench8.jpg

barrelvice5.jpg

barrelvice3.jpg

i have since switched out the bolts for 1/2-20 studs.

barrelvice7.jpg

this isn't really a gunsmithing tool but i past by it when looking through my pictures.

loadingblockpics2.jpg

loadingblockpics1.jpg

loadingblockpics3.jpg

lathespiderchuck18.jpg

lathespiderchuck17.jpg

lathespiderchuck16.jpg

lathespiderchuck12.jpg

about to thread the muzzle of a 20" barrel without separating the barrel from the receiver.

barrelthread1.jpg

a plate for a dial indicator to hit for measuring tail stock travel.

tailstockindicatorblock3.jpg

tailstockindicatorblock2.jpg

tailstockindicatorblock1.jpg

my action truing jig.

actiontruingjig-9.jpg

actiontruingjig-6.jpg

actiontruingjig-22.jpg

actiontruingjig-18.jpg

this is the one i plan on making. the drawing doesn't show the adjustment screw holes.

actiontruingjignew1.jpg

Sorry, I never make drawings if I should make it myself.
Håkan

the dimensions shouldn't be too hard to come up with on your own.

Does anyone have a drawing of the Rem700 S/A receiver.

I have a LA sat in front of me and have worked out the hole spacings but I need the dimensions of a S/A to drill the remaining 4 holes for the adjusters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: keydiverfla</div><div class="ubbcode-body">300,
We still haven't figured out how that jig does the Jeweling or un Jeweling
smile.gif
. Sorry, couldn't resist. </div></div>

it's magic
grin.gif

Well working from a Long Action I figure the hole spacings to be

A = 1.00" in from face of jig
B = 4.50" in from face of jig
C = 5.50" in from face of jig

Feel free to correct me if you think I have the dimensions wrong I am working from a couple of B Square scope bases

Heavy Duty Action Wrench
ActionWrench.jpg

Barel vise and stand
BarrelViseandStand.jpg

Any more "stuff" for this "lost" thread? Great thread, too bad it went by the wayside. How but some more good "stuff". I'm sure I'm not the only one that likes to learn "stuff".

And by the way...thanks for all the good "stuff" already here.

Sure had to dig for this thread as it was buried quite a ways back. But I found it so I thought I’d put up a few of my latest projects that I’ve completed.

Borrowing 300sniper’s idea, I made a jig for installing bolt handles. This began life as a 4”x4” block of hot-rolled so it took quite a bit of milling to get it to this stage. The slot that holds the shaft of the factory knob is tapered on the sides so the shaft fits securely in the jig with zero clearance. The cover plate is attached with 3/8 x 24 bolts and has a tab that corresponds with the slot to allow a secure hold on the bolt’s shaft. Looks like I need to widen that slot a tad as this bolt handle sits lower than others that I have done. Must be some variation in Remington’s handles.

boltjig2.jpg

boltjig1.jpg

I also finally completed my receiver blueprinting jig for the lathe. The jig was made from 4.25” round aluminum which meant a lot of machine time getting to the final dimensions. I didn’t really want to have to use it in a 4-jaw chuck so I bought a blank backplate from Grizzly, faced it off, machined the OD down, and then inletted it for the jig. The jig installed with a slight press fit and 6 bolts secure it. I was worried for a while as the ID of the plate was quite a bit larger than the ID of the jig. Turns out that I had just enough width to get some 5/16 x 24 bolts in there. It’s not going anywhere.

lathejig2.jpg

lathejig1.jpg

lathejib3.jpg

Whipped up a set of shorter ½ x 20 brass-tipped bolts for the jig. Also made a false center for Remington bolts.

bolts.jpg

Made a barrel vise similar to the one that Brownell’s sells. The brass bushing is made for standard Remington barrels. If I need any more bushings they will be made out of aluminum as it’s easier to work with, less expensive, and works just as well for the application.

barrelvise2.jpg

barrelvise1.jpg

All of this was done using a Lathemaster ZAY45 mill and a Grizzly G4003G lathe. Both of these machines do nice work but I definitely need a larger beefier mill. 2012 will see a 10 x 54 knee mill of some pedigree for sure.

mill.jpg

lathe.jpg

Great post Woodsy! I wish I knew how to run a lathe and mill. Maybe someday I'll get a chance to try it out. Looks like you do really nice work. Post up pics of your projects. Thanks for sharing. I forgot to add now I really want to know what you scribbled out on the wall.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: woodsy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like I need to widen that slot a tad as this bolt handle sits lower than others that I have done. Must be some variation in Remington’s handles.</div></div>

that turned out great!

there is quite a bit of variation in the remington handles. i have a bit of room in mine and i push the handle toward the rear. the handle indexes off of the rear so my knob ends up being parallel with that.

300 - I'm indexing off the rear of the shaft as well. The front of the slot is tapered to match the factory taper so it fits tight. Looks like I'll shave a bit off the rear index point and then it should work with any handle. I may add a set screw like you did if it appears that I'll need it.

Thanks for sharing your idea of this jig. I had been thinking about using something like that for doing these when you posted yours. That certainly was an AH HA moment and the kick in the rear that I needed.

I’ve been finding dead center of the handle by zeroing the X and Y axis using an Starret electronic edge finder in the hole of the jig. I then install the bolt and go to work. Is that similar to how you’re doing it? Seems to be dead nuts on from what I can tell.

Sure wish that I had a CNC like yours but I'm stuck with a boring head on this machine. That's okay as it works fine. Just takes longer.

2pirates - I didn't have a clue how to run either of these machines either. I bought the mill 5 years ago and began destroying bits until I figured out what was going on. The lathe is 3 years old. Doing research on the Web helped a LOT. I’m still not an expert by any means but part of the fun is learning how to do this work without destroying the part, the machine, or myself.

Oh, what was on the wall? That was a placard that my dad had on his livestock truck back in the early 70s. I scribbled it out digitally because I didn't want to broadcast his name and location to the WWW.

Thanks for the kind comments guys!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: woodsy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I’ve been finding dead center of the handle by zeroing the X and Y axis using an Starret electronic edge finder in the hole of the jig. I then install the bolt and go to work. Is that similar to how you’re doing it? Seems to be dead nuts on from what I can tell.</div></div>

i placed a bolt in my fixture and figured out where i wanted my xy zero to be. i then made a 1/2" hole at x0y1.75 in the top of it. now when ever i put the jig back onto the mill i find the center of the hole and set my offsets. i use the top of the fixture as z0.

I didn't like the 4 jaw for this so we mounted it direct to a D1-4 camlock with six 3/8 fine thread socket head capscrews torqued up to 45 foot pounds. The camlock was machined to have a .375" tall register that was .005" oversize. The tube was heated till it slipped over the register and shrink fitted to the plate. Then it went to the mill and we used the DRO to plot the six 3/8" fine thread holes. It's on there now. Smooth to 2000 rpm.

img4014p.jpg

My Rockwell isn't big enough to do that bolt handle like that, but I love it anyway.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xs hedspace</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My Rockwell isn't big enough to do that bolt handle like that, but I love it anyway. </div></div>

The jig works ok but needs some refinement. Useing a live center helps keep things from wiggleing around

I guess I can add my Savage bolt knob jig to this thread. I like the idea of the jigs in a mill, but didn't have one of those around. The Savage handles seem to vary quite a bit, so having in a 4 jaw chuck is amlost a necessity.
boltknobsandCWstock005.jpg

newboltjig003.jpg

boltknobsandCWstock003.jpg

I am sure you guys will appreciate <span style="font-style: italic">this precision made tool </span>for tapping down gas blocks on an AR15/AR10.

temporary.jpg

temporary-1.jpg

Just finished making my left side spider for my Enco 12x36. Started as a solid 4" slug of round stock, but I got it lathed down to what I need for the rear of the spindle.

6624771289_3ba5f6edf7_b.jpg

6624764075_e4df4606b8_b.jpg

Onyx

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mscott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess I can add my Savage bolt knob jig to this thread. I like the idea of the jigs in a mill, but didn't have one of those around. The Savage handles seem to vary quite a bit, so having in a 4 jaw chuck is amlost a necessity.
boltknobsandCWstock005.jpg

newboltjig003.jpg

boltknobsandCWstock003.jpg
</div></div>

Mind giving some details on this one? I wouldn't mind trying to make one in class next term if I have extra time!

That's a nice looking spider Onyx.

You can save yourself a bunch of boring machine time (and wear and tear) on a job like that by using heavy wall DOM (drawn over mandrel) pipe or hollow bar. Most steel yards will have short drops usually sold by the pound laying around. Aluminum hollow bar is available also.

I absolutely agree with you, and had I purchased this, I would have gone that route. Instead, my machinist buddy said "here, have this and get started", so I did.

Learned alot about boring, and harmonics on a boring bar, and cursed a few times when my friend was telling me to not be a sissy and take big bites, and I was getting huge chatter and tool deflection, only to be told "oh ya, that was hard stuff, you probably can't take big bites....." I think he forgets that I don't have the 50ft long Ravenberg lathe with built in chip conveyer that he uses every day at work.
smile.gif

Best part of this is everything is a learning experience, and it's all fun.
smile.gif

Onyx

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chakup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Mind giving some details on this one? I wouldn't mind trying to make one in class next term if I have extra time! </div></div>

It's 1" round bar, the angled cut is 11 degrees, 1/2-13 bolt holding the handle down, and 1/4-20 nuts welded on the sides. I can't really think of anything I'd change, either.

Action jig welded to D1-4
CameraZOOM-20120203123824146.jpg

Fixture for opening up base holes. Holes in plate are counterbored for 1/2" head, and reamed to 5/16. Screws are modified 3/8" socket heads, head is turned to 1/2", tenon is turned to 5/16 for a tight fit in plate, threads are cut so they are a tight fit into action.
CameraZOOM-20120203162638166.jpg

CameraZOOM-20120203162737187.jpg

CameraZOOM-20120203162747112.jpg

CameraZOOM-20120203162829687.jpg

Ill add my spring loaded bolt lapping tool tomorrow, no pics

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonaddis84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Ill add my spring loaded bolt lapping tool tomorrow, no pics</div></div>

Here's a pic of mine...

426233_325543624150692_100000851713535_953435_989470425_n.jpg

sorry for being off thread topic. But, That's some fantastic looking bolt jobs right there. I wish I had waited and let you done my Remington 700 bolt knob install.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: woodsy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I also finally completed my receiver blueprinting jig for the lathe. The jig was made from 4.25” round aluminum which meant a lot of machine time getting to the final dimensions. I didn’t really want to have to use it in a 4-jaw chuck so I bought a blank backplate from Grizzly, faced it off, machined the OD down, and then inletted it for the jig. The jig installed with a slight press fit and 6 bolts secure it. I was worried for a while as the ID of the plate was quite a bit larger than the ID of the jig. Turns out that I had just enough width to get some 5/16 x 24 bolts in there. It’s not going anywhere.

lathejig2.jpg

lathejig1.jpg

lathejib3.jpg

Whipped up a set of shorter ½ x 20 brass-tipped bolts for the jig. Also made a false center for Remington bolts.

bolts.jpg

</div></div>

I have been in need of a better jig and I really like your design here. Very well done. That is a LOT of chips you had to make to get there. Was that solid 4" or some really thick walled tubing? What kind of boring bar are you using to bore ID of that long tube. I have the same lathe but have had issues boring that deep

Thanks for the kind words.

It was a solid chunk of aluminum that took a long time to bore. I used a 1” boring bar with inserts but can’t remember the brand right now. 3/4" wall aluminum is available but I went with stock that I had on hand.

The process took longer than I had anticipated as I ended up slowing the lathe down to eliminate the chatter. Each pass took long enough that I was multitasking on the mill as the lathe was running. I don’t recommend doing this, however, as it’s easy to crash the lathe if you get distracted.

The jig has been working fine but I’m eager to try SSG’s True Bore Alignment System. Hopefully it gets here soon as I have 3 more actions waiting their turn to be trued. If the TBAS works as I expect my truing jig could be on the market.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: woodsy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the kind words.

It was a solid chunk of aluminum that took a long time to bore. I used a 1” boring bar with inserts but can’t remember the brand right now. 3/4" wall aluminum is available but I went with stock that I had on hand.

The process took longer than I had anticipated as I ended up slowing the lathe down to eliminate the chatter. Each pass took long enough that I was multitasking on the mill as the lathe was running. I don’t recommend doing this, however, as it’s easy to crash the lathe if you get distracted.

The jig has been working fine but I’m eager to try SSG’s True Bore Alignment System. Hopefully it gets here soon as I have 3 more actions waiting their turn to be trued. If the TBAS works as I expect my truing jig could be on the market. </div></div>

please contact me if you do want to part with it.

Bump, just found this old thread with some good ideas during a search. Could use some new ideas here too.

I had some dramas setting up shorter barrels in my Colchester lathe so I made the spider below which gives me 4" or so shorter length through the spindle than the 4 jaw. I machined the rear of the spider to the same dimensions as a D1-4 chuck mount and fitted the camock studs straight to it:

IMG_2280.jpg

I also picked up the lathe this is attached to in the photo a week and a bit ago from a local university that was clearing out a workshop. It was like new under the dust that was on it. I've stripped the gearbox etc off it and the new ballscrews arrived today as a start to convert it to CNC for this type of work.

Hello I am Mike ( shootur44) a newbie to the gunsmithing and machining arena and would like to ask if anyone has any drawing with dimensions or general details of the jigs and special tools of these great looking tools and Jigs and which weapons and parts they are for ??? would love to try and make some of them myself so Please advise . THANKS Mike

here is my seater die reaming fixture. it would work for actions to I suppose. I offset my jacking bolts. In my mind having them in line front to back would possibly cause stress on the work piece. This way im not jacking against the bolt on the opposite ends. Works well so far. No fancy back plate. I just chuck it up in my 3 jaw. I bored the jaws in my 3 jaw, so my run out total indicated is .0015 Not to bad for a cheap o 3 jaw. Lee