• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thread Protector

Re: Thread Protector

The diameter of that bull barrel protector may be to large for the varmint contour barrel. Anyway to find out?

Hey Delta,

Any local machine shop could make one for you that mated up nicely to your weapon in 5-10 minutes, also would be super cheap...

The end of the barrel (I just got one) is 0.860. I put an EGW thread protector on mine and it looks OK. The diameter of that one starts at 0.870 and the knurling expands out to 0.960. If you check Savage’s web site they now offer a brush/ “pig” gun that I think uses this barrel with this thread protector.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: garrettjusmc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Delta,

Any local machine shop could make one for you that mated up nicely to your weapon in 5-10 minutes, also would be super cheap... </div></div>

i agree.. i had my ar15 bull barrel threaded and they made a thread protector.. you cant even tell the barrel is threaded when its on..it looks very good.. only cost $15

Now i am debating if i should just wait and buy a Criterion barrel instead of the Shaw? Any thoughts?

Criterion>Shaw, However My first ER Shaw barrel is a .243 bull that has been knocking out .4 MOA 5 round gouups at 100 lately and the .308 I just got looks like it will do good as well.

From what I have read on the inter web from reviews Criterion is a mid priced barrel that will shot well (if not very good) where as an ER Shaw is a low cost barrel that MAY shot well