• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Threaded 9mm 1911 barrel options

SupressYourself

Hillbilly Intellectual
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2017
Eastern ND
Couple things first:
- I know a dedicated handgun forum would be a better place to ask, but I'm not a member of any, and don't really want to be.
- I know that a 1911 in 9mm is blasphemous, but I have it, and I like it a lot.

Anyway... I got a pending form 1 for a 9mm can, and don't actually have a barrel to screw it onto yet. I have a 9mm Kimber 5" gov model, that I really enjoy, and would like to mount my can on that. I have done some research, and seems that many barrels require some level of "fitting". It seems like this one might be a good option:
And this one might be junk: https://www.sarcoinc.com/1911-9mm-5-1-2-threaded-barrel/

Other than that, I don't know a whole lot. Any advice on brands to look at vs stay away from? -- of course minimal (or no) fitting would be great.

Reactions: SupressYourself
Their are lots of 1911 barrel makers but very few are truly "drop in". Ive been a 1911 guy most of my life and proper fitment is key to accuracy. That being said, the barrels are pretty easy to fit and there are lots of good videos on youtube

Each drop in or semi fit barrel is going to be a little different. You should contact the manufacturer to see where they have left room for fitting. I know Bar Sto doesn't want you fitting the rear of the hood while others do. Kart has you fit the lugs at the top on their semi fits, while you would normally fit them at the bottom. You shouldn't need to finish ream the chamber. Hell, most full fit barrels only require you to touch up the throat. Nighthawk will tell you exactly what they expect. And there will be more fitting on a Kimber than on a Colt, as the Kimber is going to be a little tighter, and most of these barrels are designed to be really, really close on a colt.

I’m still trying to find one for my 4” Kimber Pro TLE/RL II… It’s a full-bull with a reverse-cut spring cup, so it’s a bitch to find threaded barrel options. I know Jarvis and Bar-Sto make them, but I wish someone would have accurate polygonal-rifled high-quality 416r stainless drop-ins available and ready to purchase without custom builds and long wait times…

I’m still trying to find one for my 4” Kimber Pro TLE/RL II… It’s a full-bull with a reverse-cut spring cup, so it’s a bitch to find threaded barrel options. I know Jarvis and Bar-Sto make them, but I wish someone would have accurate polygonal-rifled high-quality 416r stainless drop-ins available and ready to purchase without custom builds and long wait times…
This sounds like a bit of a mutt. Maybe try on a bushing gun instead.

FA5CB03C-79DB-4722-BBEB-1CEDFFA5EBD9.jpeg

Just buy a DW :)

I hate it when threads end with no conclusion, so here goes:
I bought the Nighthawk Custom drop-in barrel. It was not exactly "drop-in". I probably should have taken it to a smith, but I'm a stubborn DIY guy. I read a lot about it, used a small diamond file and went very slow, with many test fittings. I had to do some fitting of the hood and both top and bottom lugs. I believe I have it just right. Everything fits and functions very well, and it shoots great.
1911-2.png

Reactions: darkfader