• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Threaded barrel vs post-ban

edkern

Private
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2011
Salt Lake City, UT
I ordered a Krieger barrel today for my varmint rifle (bunnies @ ~300 yards). I still have a few days to waffle over some details.

1) Threaded or not threaded - Other than the fact that I am immature and think having a suppressor would be cool, I can't really come up with an argument either way.

2) Should I get it bead blasted? It is a fluted HBAR barrel. I can't really make up my mind, so please tell me what you think.

Re: Threaded barrel vs post-ban

If you don't get it threaded, you'll wish you had. There are more options for muzzle devices than suppressors.

Yeah, I am well aware I'll be getting a flash hider, rather than an actual suppressor (unless for some reason I decide that the novelty is worth $1000 + the $200 tax stamp).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ed Kern</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, I am well aware I'll be getting a flash hider, rather than an actual suppressor (unless for some reason I decide that the novelty is worth $1000 + the $200 tax stamp). </div></div>

Novelty, that's sarcasm right?
I'm in a banned suppressor state and I would get a suppressor in a second, just to help my hearing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ed Kern</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, I am well aware I'll be getting a flash hider, rather than an actual suppressor (unless for some reason I decide that the novelty is worth $1000 + the $200 tax stamp).</div></div>

+1 on going with the threads. You'll be able to explore different brakes (personally, I wouldn't bother with a flash hider on a varmint rifle). Threads will also accommodate the QD muzzle attachments associated with Suppressors if you decide to go that route down the road.

Bead blasted finish is purely cosmetic. Get it if you think it looks good.

I would get it threaded and for go the extra expense right now of bead blasting a barrel. That can be done later if you don't like the looks of the shiny stainless. Likewise if you decide to have the barrel coated down the road, its going to get blasted anyway.

On the threading I would do it, strictly for the ability to run a brake or compensator. The suppressor is actually worth it and not a novelty. Its nice being about to go out and shoot all day without ear plugs or muffs and not have a ringing in your ears for days. It will also allow you to shoot at game and not spook them like it would without a suppressor.

I prefer threads. The barrel becomes much more versatile with threads. Muzzle brake can help with and undisturbed sight picture while shooting. Flash suppressor can help with vision when shooting in poor/low lighting. Sound suppressors help with overall fatigue during shooting and make the whole experience more pleasant.

Also, resale value will be greater on the threaded version. I bet most people tend to pass on an unthreaded barrel vs a threaded one. (I know I sure do.)

I've decided to go ahead and send in the paperwork for a suppressor, so threaded barrel it is!

Thanks guys, I genuinely value your input.