• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Threaded barrels, do they affect accuracy?

Climate17

Private
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2011
My friend is building a .338/.378 wby. And is trying to decided if he should order the barrel threaded or not. Will it affect the accuracy?

Re: Threaded barrels, do they affect accuracy?

Should not affect accuracy if done correctly. I would put a brake on that beast.

Both mine are threaded and shoot great. All my rifles are and will be threaded

Are we talking about a pre threaded tenion, or muzzle? Just wondering, because I had the same question about if the action to tenion threads were not perfectly for each other.

no affect on accuracy. just keep a flawless, proper crown on it. some machinists that cut threads moving toward-the-crown sometimes overlook burrs on the crown's edge if the cutting tool is slightly dulled. best of luck.

Perhaps I should have said: Not until you put a can on them.
grin.gif

I would recommend ordering it threaded. Properly done, accuracy should not be affected.

MV

Everyone else said it just as easy as it can be: no. Get it threaded and save yourself a trip to the gunsmith later.