• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Threading the CZ 457 action

Merlin O

Private
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2006
Friendswood TX
A question as to benefits of threading the action on the 457. Would doing so be of any "real" benefit or just a solution to a non existent (perceived/possible) problem of loose fitment or stress induced by the grubb screws....?

Why thread it?
Go for a custom blank.
Machine the tenon to precisely fit the receiver/bolt face.
Cut the chamber.
Cone breach.
Index the barrel.
Glue it in place.
No threading.
Optimum barrel orientation and head space.

When I did my 455 my first inclination was to machine a close fitting tenon on a custom barrel blank and still use the set screw system for tension. When I measured the bore of the receiver it was bell mouthed by .0015, so I would have to set up the receiver to true it, if i'm going thru all that trouble might as well thread it. While I like the concept of indexing the barrel, I'm not sure I want a cone breech, it just seems delicate and that knife edge might catch or shear a soft lead bullet. But that is just my impression as I have not tried to run a push-feed repeater with a cone breech. Seems to me the real benefit here is in the installation of a custom barrel blank not particularly how it's installed as long as either is done professionally.

Reactions: Merlin O
I am preparing to thread mine also. i have the action jig ready but i still need to turn a bar to indicate the action off of. I have a 10tw shilen that is going on it

I would think a snug fit would work good as there are several excellent drop ins being made. If I want a threaded action I would go custom. Just my opinion though only worth 2 cents.