• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Three barrels, one action, need three cartridges.

Klemm

Online Training Member
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2013
I have three barrel blanks kicking around. All are shilen select stainless. All our 28 inch unfinished. OK here we go
243 caliber number six profile 10 twist
257 caliber number six profile 9 twist
338 caliber number five profile 10 twist.
Also a 224caliber eight twist 1.25 straight
I’m thinking one switch barrel rifle. Impact action with a standard or magnum boltface (or maybe both)
So I’m thinking
338-06, 25-06 and what do you do with the 243

Let the suggestions begin

Haven’t bought an action yet. Or I have a Remington 700 action I can use for this project. I have short action regular bolt face and long action standard bolt face and magnum bolt face.

Can the 243 caliber be made into a 6mm?

Last edited:
OK let’s get serious

I should’ve put a smiley face on that I guess.
I haven’t done any research into this, just popped into my head this morning. But is there anyway to use one action and utilize the above three barrels. Not the 224 obviously

22BR, 22creedmor, 22-250 etc etc for your 22 cal fast twist and 308 bolt face....

That's why I asked about the action length.
If you stick with a short action you can easily use all four just stay away from the long action calibers unless you want to single feed.
22-250
6mm Creedmoor
25 Creedmoor
338 federal

Thanks BrianM for the suggestions on the 22 caliber. I guess I never should’ve threw that in there. I’m trying to pick three different cartridges for the three barrels listed above to fit on one action. I may have to you use more than one bolt to accomplish this. I would rather not if I didn’t have to.

Thanks BrianM for the suggestions on the 22 caliber. I guess I never should’ve threw that in there. I’m trying to pick three different cartridges for the three barrels listed above to fit on one action. I may have to you use more than one bolt to accomplish this. I would rather not if I didn’t have to.

All calibers suggested are the same bolt face and there are many more.
If you change my suggestion of 22-250 to 22 Creedmoor you could use one set of Creedmoor bushing dies to size all three with different bushings.

XLR308 thanks for the suggestions, I don’t know much about 338 Federal.

XLR308 thanks for the suggestions, I don’t know much about 338 Federal.

Basically just a 308win necked up to 338, a really good short range thumper.
It's optimal range I wouldn't think would exceed 550 yards for opening velocity of the hunting weight bullets suitable for it.

So do you think it’s better to buy a impact action, or a true up at 700. I was planning on LRI doing the barrel job. Only because I think they have all the reamers in stock.

And the blue printing obviously

So do you think it’s better to buy a impact action, or a true up at 700. I was planning on LRI doing the barrel job. Only because I think they have all the reamers in stock.

If you allready have the action I say have LRI work it over.
They do some pretty impressive work on the Remys unless you are just lusting over an Impact.

I'd do a Savage if you're starting from scratch. The reason why is the barrel swaps are super simple. You move the barrel against a go gauge, tighten the jam nut and go.

All calibers suggested are the same bolt face and there are many more.
If you change my suggestion of 22-250 to 22 Creedmoor you could use one set of Creedmoor bushing dies to size all three with different bushings.

THIS is a genius idea. One would save a fortune on measuring and reloading tools this way.