• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Three low-end scopes: Which one?

rg1911

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2012
Laramie, Wyoming
I'm looking for a 20X (or close) scope for $300 or less. The only thing for which I want to use the scope is load testing. That is, I have a number of rifles that normally wear a dot sight or a lower-power scope. Now, if I want to work up a new load, I have to take a scope off a rifle, do the load test, remount the scope and sight it in all over again.

I fed some parameters into the Optics Planet search engine and came up with these three possibilities. Is one a clear winner, or have I overlooked the perfect scope for my purpose?

Thank you,
Richard

Weaver 6.5-20 x 44mm AO 40/44
Weaver 6.5-20 x 44mm AO 40/44 Riflescope FREE S&H 849550, 849552. Weaver Rifle Scopes.

Pentax Gameseeker 30 8.5-32x50mm
Pentax Gameseeker 30 8.5-32x50mm Riflescope w/ Precision Plex Reticle FREE S&H 89753. Pentax Rifle Scopes.

Bushnell 6-18x40 Trophy XLT Adjustable Objective
Bushnell 6-18x40 Trophy XLT Adjustable Objective Matte Riflescope FREE S&H 736189. Bushnell Trophy XLT Rifle Scopes, Bushnell Rifle Scopes.

There is only 1 scope that I would be using to do what you are wanting to do... SWFA SS20X42 MIL/MIL. Zeroing the rifle with a MIL scope is incredibly easy, and the Mil-Quad reticle of the SWFA is just plain awesome. No doubt about it, hands down.

DK

There is only 1 scope that I would be using to do what you are wanting to do... SWFA SS20X42 MIL/MIL. Zeroing the rifle with a MIL scope is incredibly easy, and the Mil-Quad reticle of the SWFA is just plain awesome. No doubt about it, hands down.

DK

This. However I recommend against a 20X scope unless you can spend the cash for good glass. No scope in the $300 range has good enough glass for 20X including the SS. You're going to have some good eye fatigue during a day of load development. I'd step down to the 16x if $300 is all you can spend, the glass will at least be serviceable. If you can spend a little more you can get a nice leupold target model off benchrest central or varmint hunters for a good price.

Rg1911, I use a fixed 16x IOR for that very reason, SWFA 16x would be hard to beat, shop around there's a few used ones that come up for sale every now and again.

FWIW, I use a couple of the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 v-plex and they work well, are clear and repeatable. I think they're hard to beat for the $$$, and CameralandNY often has them for $279.00 ish. I like them enough that I am wanting to get another, but they are OOS for the time being.

I'm looking for a 20X (or close) scope for $300 or less. The only thing for which I want to use the scope is load testing. That is, I have a number of rifles that normally wear a dot sight or a lower-power scope. Now, if I want to work up a new load, I have to take a scope off a rifle, do the load test, remount the scope and sight it in all over again.

I fed some parameters into the Optics Planet search engine and came up with these three possibilities. Is one a clear winner, or have I overlooked the perfect scope for my purpose?

Thank you,
Richard

Weaver 6.5-20 x 44mm AO 40/44
Weaver 6.5-20 x 44mm AO 40/44 Riflescope FREE S&H 849550, 849552. Weaver Rifle Scopes.

Pentax Gameseeker 30 8.5-32x50mm
Pentax Gameseeker 30 8.5-32x50mm Riflescope w/ Precision Plex Reticle FREE S&H 89753. Pentax Rifle Scopes.

Bushnell 6-18x40 Trophy XLT Adjustable Objective
Bushnell 6-18x40 Trophy XLT Adjustable Objective Matte Riflescope FREE S&H 736189. Bushnell Trophy XLT Rifle Scopes, Bushnell Rifle Scopes.

Find a deal on a weaver T series 24x

I would second bkincaid's advice. But don't forget to scour the classifieds here.

Vortex is definitely a solid company and gives you a lot of scope for the money. Great warranty service as well.

SWFA SS 20x42... Have one on my 50 BMG and its held up to almost 150rds so far with zero problems.

It was going to be a temp scope until I put an expensive Leupold tactical or NightForce NXS on, but I like it so much now I'm just keeping it on the 50 and using the cash I saved on other gun related projects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the 20x ss, I now have the 16x and the 3-15 SS,

Sold the 20x, seemed to be to much X for every day use..
The 16x has been Great.
The 3-15 is pretty nice, but its alot more.

FWIW, I use a couple of the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 v-plex and they work well, are clear and repeatable. I think they're hard to beat for the $$$, and CameralandNY often has them for $279.00 ish. I like them enough that I am wanting to get another, but they are OOS for the time being.

I think this is a very good idea. Or at least take a look at them and compare to the list you already have.

For the money this Vortex model cannot be beat!! I own six of them. :) They are a CameralandNY exclusive though, and I'm not sure if Vortex is making that specific model for them anymore. I thought the last batch that arrived late winter was it. I could be wrong and would advise calling CameralandNY.

As for the advice of dropping down to 16x or lower for a load development scope, I'll respectively disagree. I definately want 20x-24x. Presently I have a 16x on a 6.5 Creedmoor I'm doing load development for and although useable it is a bit inadequate. I REALLY want to pull my 24X off my .260Rem and use it, but don't want the hassle of remountng and rezeroing. Go with a 20X or higher!!

As many others have suggested, another vote for SWFA. While I also have a Vortex Viper 6-24x40 that I got when they were discontinuing that line for $250. Having a variable power scope may give you a great advantage in the optical clarity for doing load development. Most fixed 20x are mediocre at best unless you want to get into much higher pricing. Watch SWFA and Cameraland for their used sections.

For the money (<$300) you can't beat a SWFA fixed 12, 16 or 20X. Have been used by many here and have adequate optics and are solid, rugged scopes, which have repeatedly held up to 50 cal abuse without issue. CS generally good. I have had great personal experience with the fixed 20X on my 308.

what caliber are you working up? i bought a "temp" scope for my rem 5r project. weaver kaspa tactical i believe its a 4-12x44. picked up for 220$ new. .30 cal holes are easy to spot. at 100yds the crosshair is the width of a kitchen match (from experience of splitting them in half :) external push lock turrets that held to a 60 click return to zero thouroghly pleased for an inexpensive scope.

What about a Nikon buckmaster
6-18X40 with target turrets and mildot reticle. Less than $300 (usually) and a great scope for the money.