• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Throw your dry fire bullshit gadgets away

At least two dots deadlined from the emitters not being sealed properly. Warranty issues.

As for my personal experience and the shooters to my left and right, I was running an SRO on a Glock 34. During the heaviest of rain the dot would disappear into either full kaleidoscope or no dot period. Flick the wrist to clear the water or fire a shot and the dot would be back momentarily. RMR to my left, same problem or multi-dot.

Cop on my right with an ACRO P2, hammering along through the drills with no problem.

Both of my carry guns have closed emitter optics on them. If rain is in the forecast my carry gun will be in the case with me at the match and I make a game day decision what gun to run.

I've had the same experience.

At least two dots deadlined from the emitters not being sealed properly. Warranty issues.
That's why I don't buy hobby grade optics. An enclosed emitter optic would have the same problem if it wasn't sealed properly

As for my personal experience and the shooters to my left and right, I was running an SRO on a Glock 34. During the heaviest of rain the dot would disappear into either full kaleidoscope or no dot period. Flick the wrist to clear the water or fire a shot and the dot would be back momentarily. RMR to my left, same problem or multi-dot.
I just repeated the water test I got off youtube with my carry gun which has an RMR on it. The only way the dot was unusable was if I held the pistol pointing down and filled in the emitter side of the lens with water, as if it was in a holster under a massive rain. As soon as the pistol was leveled the water beaded off the lens and rand down and out of the optic through the side drains leaving the dot perfectly usable. Same with filling the objective side of the lens with water. The moment the pistol is leveled all the water runs off and I can see a dot and target just fine enough to shoot.

IF water on the reflector lens disables an open emitter RDS, it will also disable a closed emitter optic because water distorts the image the same as long as it's between the dot's reflection and your eye.

Wetting the emitter did absolutely nothing to degrade reticle quality, just like the video. It didn't matter if I drizzled a few drops on the emitter or if I flooded it like in the video. 100% crisp dot either way. Again most of the water ran out of the side drains the moment the pistol is horizontal or anywhere above.

Mind you I've never treated the emitter or either side of the reflector lens with any water repellent.

I've also shot at least two matches in rain with my SRO-equipped match gun and had no problems whatsoever

So I remain extremely skeptical.

Last edited:
The drain holes have a hard time keeping up with a heavy downpour.
I just proved to myself that the emitter (at least Trijicon's) simply does not give a shit how much water is on it. It still shines a perfectly round dot whether there are splashed of water on it or if it's completely flooded.

I just hope all the rain hampered optics were holosuns. Pheck the CCP.

Great video. I just watched the entire thing and took notes. I'll have to get some of Rod Steiger's training videos and books- the man knows his craft and can teach.