• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thumb Rest for a Right-Handed AI AX Being Shot Lefty?

jab00

Private
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2017
Can anyone suggest a thumb rest idea for a right-handed AI AX being shot by a lefty?

As hard as I’ve tried, I just can’t get comfortable shooting right-handed with my left eye dominance, so I’m trying to figure out a thumb rest that’ll let me shoot my RH rifle lefty and have a place to rest my thumb in order to fix the death-grip that I tend to fall into.

I looked at the Anarchy Outdoors shelf but I think the “lefty” model will only work with a true left-handed action.

Has anyone else in the same position as me figured something out? Am I wrong about the LH Anarchy Outdoors rest not working on a RH action?

I designed the thumb rest, Anarchy makes it. The LH thumb rest will work just fine for you, you'll just have to swap the orientation of the threaded metal flange that's underneath the grip skins.

1634054537549.png

Thanks,

Sam

I designed the thumb rest, Anarchy makes it. The LH thumb rest will work just fine for you, you'll just have to swap the orientation of the threaded metal flange that's underneath the grip skins.

View attachment 7719623

Thanks,

Sam

That’s good news - thanks for letting me know!

Would the same apply to the AX AICS chassis? I’ve got the same issue on my Vudoo

That’s good news - thanks for letting me know!

Would the same apply to the AX AICS chassis? I’ve got the same issue on my Vudoo
Yes, same deal.

I'm also RH and left eye dominant, when AI came out with a lefty AT in 2015 I bought one and haven't looked back since :)

Reactions: jab00
Yes, same deal.

I'm also RH and left eye dominant, when AI came out with a lefty AT in 2015 I bought one and haven't looked back since :)

In hindsight, I kind of wish that I went with a left hand action as well

Question for you @samb300. I’m guessing the left hand AT thumb rest won’t work on a right hand action unless I can get get this “locking point” off of the chassis? I got the AX versions attached no problem and then noticed this was in the way when I started working on the AT thumb rest installation.

Can this piece be removed or is it bonded to the chassis? It didn’t seem to budge when I tried sliding a hex key through the center hole and tried unscrewing it. I didn’t want to “gorilla” it so I stopped after it didn’t budge with moderate force.

Attachments

• 7899384C-7F91-4E2B-9FDA-AF63904BD013.jpeg
    7899384C-7F91-4E2B-9FDA-AF63904BD013.jpeg
    373.7 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Question for you @samb300. I’m guessing the left hand AT thumb rest won’t work on a right hand action unless I can get get this “locking point” off of the chassis? I got the AX versions attached no problem and then noticed this issue when I started working on the AT thumb rest and realized that there was an issue.
You need to remove the trigger pack to access that male locking stud. You can use a LH thumb rest on the RH AT, you’ll just lose the ability to lock the folding stock closed.

Understood and thanks! I’ll have to look up how to remove the trigger pack since I’ve never done that before.

ETA: I just realized that removing the trigger pack looks a lot easier than a Rem700 trigger swap

Last edited:
It’s two SS cap screws with a 4mm Allen wrench, when you put it back in they’re 35 in-lbs

Reactions: jab00
It’s two SS cap screws with a 4mm Allen wrench, when you put it back in they’re 35 in-lbs

Thanks - I just saw your YouTube video on the AO chassis and watched the part where you pulled the trigger before debonding the action. It’s way more simple than I had anticipated. Thanks for your help!

ETA: got the thumb rest installed with no issues in about 5 mins after getting the trigger pack and that locking piece out

Last edited:
Reactions: samb300